Here is a pic of the new rides!
DRcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Hey Flutesong - could you give me the statute that says this? Everything I can find says the MP3 is a motorcycle under NC law.

Sure would be nice to get wifey on one and if a license isn't needed then, the chance increase greatly of that happening! lol

TIA

David
Everything I know has it identified with the DOT as a motorcycle. If you can cite something definitive from the NC DMV that says otherwise, Flutesong, please let us know. The VIN plate on my MP3 states that it's a motorcycle.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #33
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Congratulations DRcruiser on your TWO MP3's. I have been wondering what I would do with two of them?

My wife will not even ride let alone operate one. I have a little over 45,600 miles on my 400 and don't see any reason to be looking at another. I don't ride as fast as it will go, I haven't ridden it as far as it will go, I've changed the seat to make it more comfortable on longer rides (5,000 mi.+ trips) and added a cruise control for the highway driving. A GPS and a GIVI AF-504 make it pretty close to a year 'round riding machine.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #34
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Photog, I don't know about NC, but for purposes of licensing, the State of California does not consider the MP3 a motorcycle. You can indeed drive one in California without a motorcycle endorsement. Odd, huh?
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #35
DRcruiser
Tourin and Scootin

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponydrvr View Post
Congratulations DRcruiser on your TWO MP3's. I have been wondering what I would do with two of them?

My wife will not even ride let alone operate one. I have a little over 45,600 miles on my 400 and don't see any reason to be looking at another. I don't ride as fast as it will go, I haven't ridden it as far as it will go, I've changed the seat to make it more comfortable on longer rides (5,000 mi.+ trips) and added a cruise control for the highway driving. A GPS and a GIVI AF-504 make it pretty close to a year 'round riding machine.
I have already added the AF-504 shields to both scoots, can you tell me what seat you went with? I believe this is the next thing on my list.
It is also GREAT to hear that you have that kind of milage on your bike, any real issues getting it there?
DRcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #36
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRcruiser View Post
I have already added the AF-504 shields to both scoots, can you tell me what seat you went with? I believe this is the next thing on my list.
It is also GREAT to hear that you have that kind of milage on your bike, any real issues getting it there?
Regular planned maintenance is the key to survivability. Lots of tires! Rear ones at 6-9000 miles. Fronts at 12-14,000 miles. Motorcycle SuperStore is my supplier. I use Michelin City Grip and have them mounted and balanced at the local Honda dealer for $20 each wheel.

With the exception of the 600 miles factory service, I have done ALL the maintenance on my MP3. I forgot! I did have an authorized dealer "repair the front end notch" which they didn't do properly and I have to redo. At least I spent the money paid for the extended warranty. Even though I didn't get anything for the effort. If you want to know the name send me a PM.

The seat was replaced with a SHAD seat from Silverstone out of France. I had a local upholsterer (MC type) redo the OEM but it never really fit me well. I put the SHAD on this summer, immediately rode 5,00 miles on a trip and will not part with it. It's likely the best investment I've made.

I've rode lots of miles, made lots of new friends, and am still smiling (grinning) from ear to ear every time I ride anywhere.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Photog, I don't know about NC, but for purposes of licensing, the State of California does not consider the MP3 a motorcycle. You can indeed drive one in California without a motorcycle endorsement. Odd, huh?
Weird indeed. I didn't even ask the DMV here (department of motor vehickyules)...it just showed up as a motorcycle on my registration and insurance, so I didn't ask if it could be categorized in any other way. Odd that CA would be more permissive, so to speak.

M/C training isn't required here yet but you need an endorsement eventually after a permit period. It would be interesting to see how that would shake out with the MP3 not being licensed as an MC.

FWIW I'm only paying $70 or so a year on it for insurance as a MC with a few points on my license.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #38
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,062
I'm scooter shopping for a friend (long time bike pusher to many friends).
How are the MP3's in cross winds? Way better than a bike or standard scooter?
I heard the 500 has virtually no under seat storage? does the 400 have the same amount of under seat storage as the 250?

What is the gas mileage like for the 250, and the 400?

It's good to hear of a MP3 400 going 45k with no troubles.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #39
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I'm scooter shopping for a friend (long time bike pusher to many friends).
How are the MP3's in cross winds? Way better than a bike or standard scooter?
I heard the 500 has virtually no under seat storage? does the 400 have the same amount of under seat storage as the 250?

What is the gas mileage like for the 250, and the 400?

It's good to hear of a MP3 400 going 45k with no troubles.
In the last three days here we've had 25-45 mph winds. I was riding on two of those days. I don't know what your experience is, but the MP3 handles much better than most scooters/MC's with no windscreen or one fastened to the handlebars. The MP3 windscreen is stationary with respect to the handlebars. There will be some disturbance in wind at these speeds. But it is easily manageable. The larger issue is when you stop with a crosswind. You better hang on with your feet planted firmly lest you get blown over.

The 250 and the 400 have the same seat pans and the same space available. The added storage comes from a rear trunk not available on the 500. I bought my 400 new nearly three years ago and do not regret it one iota. 100 cc more would be nice, but it's not necessary. I can run just as fast for just as long as the 500 and I get 3-5 MPG better performance than they do.

Underseat storage is the main reason I bought the 400.

I hope this helps you in some way.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #40
stealthman_1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I bought my MP3 500 in May, it's now got 3400, mostly freeway commuting miles. I find it slightly better than my FZ6 was in crosswinds, but we don't get winds like someone in the mid-west or other windy places would get. The low slung weight really is nice.

I don't like the suspension much, it's pretty solid with little travel, but it's fine for good roads. My FZ6 was a Cadillac comparatively. Breaking is fantastic, the low, rearward weight really allows you to use the front break hard with confidence.

I get a small 12v pump, a plug kit, an XL helmet and gloves in the 'pet carrier'. I've got a Givi V46 that I mount if I'm going for groceries, though 2 small bags will fit underneath and if it's not far, the bag hook works well. For commuting, I don't run the Givi normally.

I've had it to 85mph by GPS with a decent amount of throttle left, it's stable at that speed and it really does corner well. I get 55-60mpg driving 5 miles of stop and go and 15 miles of 70-75mph each way. I wish the tank was 4 gallons. It does 0-60 by GPS, in about 7.5 seconds and has no problem leaving cars at stoplights. The odometer is almost dead on with GPS, but the speedo is way fast, 80mph indicated is 70.

One thing I've continually noticed, is cars give me extra room on the freeway, and I like that! I think, they are a bit confused that a scooter goes 80 and they don't want to be near it when the tiny wheels fly off!

I find the stock seat ok, but too soft and too wide with a saddle horn up front. Anything over 100 miles and I'm starting to squirm. If I was going to tour on it, I'd be considering seat options.

I've got nerve problems in my left foot from a back injury that affects my balance so I'd basically quit riding my street bike. The MP3 gave me the confidence to ride with the locking suspension and ability to slip off the seat and flat foot both feet. It handles so well, it really had built my desire to ride more again and I rarely lock the suspension while traveling, long lights is about it so I can be lazy and look cool.

I'll be taking delivery of a brand new, Sun Yellow F650GS late next week and if it weren't for the MP3, I wouldn't be here mentally, though physically I've improved somewhat since I bought it. The MP3 will stay and be my weekday battle scooter and the GS will do weekend and touring duty. I hope someday it has 46,500 miles on it, that would be really cool.

Right now is a great time to buy as they are getting deep discounts. My dealer hasn't had one for a couple months and says the new ones are coming.

stealthman_1 screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 07:11 PM
stealthman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #41
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 906
Good sumary, Stealthman_1
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #42
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 384
My wife is really pushing hard for a MP3 500. I rode one not long ago and it is tons of fun. I noticed the 400 and 500 to have a speed limit difference of only 1 mph. I wonder if 500 really scoots up to 60mph faster than the 400. Anyone take one off road? Seems like it would be okay on fire roads. I ll be in Boulder tomorrow and might stop and take another test drive.

S~
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #43
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I've had an MP3 250 and a 500. They are NOT off-road vehicles, despite the fact that Piaggio once made promotional videos off-road.

All of the MP3's have suspension that works great on smooth roads, but will make your teeth chatter on dirt roads. Even a large pothole will definitely make it's presence known on the MP3.

Still, on the road they are a really fun scoot. The 500 with the OEM topcase also carries lots of "stuff". The 400 carries even more.

Have fun!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #44
stealthman_1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteone View Post
Anyone take one off road? Seems like it would be okay on fire roads. I ll be in Boulder tomorrow and might stop and take another test drive.

S~
Technically no, I haven't taken mine off-road. I've been in a few gravel driveways and some off camber, gravel wide spots adjacent to highways and I was not exactly raging with confidence. I would think a hard pack, very fine gravel fire road might be ok, but loose doesn't seem like it would be pretty at all. Even though there are two of them, those fronts ain't floating on anything.

Wish I could be of help on the 400 Vs. 500 issue. I've ridden the 250, but not the 400. I wonder about the 1mph difference as well. Only thing I can think is the 500 is limited somehow. As I said, I've had mine to 85 by GPS (97 indicated) and I had plenty of throttle left.
stealthman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #45
Galen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Bought one for the misses.

She was looking for something easier on gas than the Sequoia and wanted something to tag along with when I'm on the GS. She liked the idea of 3 wheels, and with the factory price reduction on a new one, we came home with a 250 in mid-August. She's getting used to it (already took one corner wide and laid it down at relatively low speed, but is still riding) and will take the MSF course here in November. She doesn't have to, but it really does ride like a motorcycle and she will benefit from the instruction. It's a blast to ride. The front end is really planted. I wish the suspension was a little smoother. I was surprised how well it does 2-up around town and we're not little people (about 400# between us). Got the 14" wheel in back, so tire changes shouldn't be so frequent. The brakes bring this thing to a stop in a hurry. First service should be before Christmas (still working up to getting it in rotation with the other vehicles).