ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Chico OP
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 709
Question about Bike Theft in NYC

I've only lived here a year and am thinking about getting a different bike. I have a friend who had his Honda XR stolen twice (and recovered) in the last 2 years but I also see street bikes parked all the time without being chained to a post or even disc locks.

If I'm going to park on the street and chain the thing to a post, is it true that a dirt-style bike like a KLR, XR, or DR is more likely to get stolen than a standard type street bike? How important should this be when considering what type of bike to get? Or is it more true that all bikes are at risk and no matter what you own, there is a good chance of it being stolen?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I want a Suzuki DR or a modern Triumph. The DR is cheaper so it won't be as big of a loss if it is stolen but I'm afraid that it has a much higher chance of being stolen than say, a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler. Is this true?

Thanks to the vets for your insight.
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
I've only lived here a year and am thinking about getting a different bike. I have a friend who had his Honda XR stolen twice (and recovered) in the last 2 years but I also see street bikes parked all the time without being chained to a post or even disc locks.

If I'm going to park on the street and chain the thing to a post, is it true that a dirt-style bike like a KLR, XR, or DR is more likely to get stolen than a standard type street bike? How important should this be when considering what type of bike to get? Or is it more true that all bikes are at risk and no matter what you own, there is a good chance of it being stolen?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I want a Suzuki DR or a modern Triumph. The DR is cheaper so it won't be as big of a loss if it is stolen but I'm afraid that it has a much higher chance of being stolen than say, a Triumph Bonneville or Scrambler. Is this true?

Thanks to the vets for your insight.
Where in NYC?

I woukd say that anything that can be stunted or easily sold will get stolen. Dual Sports and SMsget stolen more frequently than sportbikes and touring, sport touring, cruiser type bikes get hardly any attention. I'd say get the triumph over a klr and that way you will have some peace of mind that no one wants to steal it.

Where
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
epl
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I've got a 2013 Triumph Explorer. I work in Midtown. When I ride in, I park on W47th st btwn 9th & 10th ave. I use a disc brake lock and I lock the fork and I haven't had a problem. Many high end bikes park there. However, never left it overnight. I live right across the river in Jersey City and keep it in a garage nightly. If I live in the city I would do the same.

Hope this helps.
epl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Chico OP
Thief and Saboteur

I live in Brooklyn: Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill and would ride to work around NYU sometimes. I wouldn't leave the bike there overnight.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
I live in Brooklyn: Ft. Greene/Clinton Hill and would ride to work around NYU sometimes. I wouldn't leave the bike there overnight.
Theft insurance and sleep tight.

Or buy a BMW.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Chico OP
Thief and Saboteur

There's an idea: BMW K75. Its not stunt-able, not flashy AND its a BMW!--It'll never get stolen.
And I could probably get a nice one for the price of a DR650.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I think it's much like anywhere else.

Scope out the area, look at other bikes, and make sure theirs is easier to steal than yours.

Sort of the same situation: I was stuck in a complex without a good place to park my new Triumph Daytona. I filled a bucket with cement with a metal hook sunk into the cement. I put it between my friends bike and mine and locked both bikes to it and covered the bikes. The guy with the brand new R6 in the same complex just left his bike out with no security. Guess who's got stolen? My neighbor said a guy in a van drove by and pulled up the cover on the bikes and drove away. I'm sure he said - "fck that I just steal the R6."

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote