Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,473
I rolled on into the Big Easy with one goal in mind, a fine meal.

After negociating the streets of the French Quarter for a while I asked a cabbie where secure parking was. I told him I planned to eat at Brennan's and he told me they had a deal with the Omni for parking.

I found the place but the Hispanic suit didn't know where to put me. He asked a valet and I was told "on the carpet between the wall and the bench".

So I walked to Brennan's.
The hostess told me breakfast was over and dinner started at 6:30. I looked at the menu briefly but he made me too hungry so I left. I went in the Royal House and had some iced tea and oysters prepared 3 ways. Then went walkabout.

A mule pulled carriage and the drivers on a cell phone.

The truckin' dude had a long stride but was getting nowhere fast.

And the band played on....

Bride about town.

Nightmare on Bourbon Street.

The gal with the sign tried to get me in to see the show. I told her the only one I was intrested in seeing having sex was me.
Then she said I could join in.So I asked how much a sex show artist could make. She held up her finger and thumb in the shape of a 0.

I went in a bar so I could get on a balcony for a look. The bartender and I got into a discusion about whiskey and she ended up fixing me her yet un-named creation.
It was tasty and had 4 or 5 shots of various liquors in it.

Next , I had a Hurricaine at Pat O'Briens.

This Cajun' gal could really belt out a tune.

This girl could sing and when I tossed some money in her case I said ,"Better than most".
She said "And I get a shower too."

When I passed this couple again he asked if I had a napkin. He had cut his finger on a gituar string.
No ,no napkin. How about a sticker ?
He's doubtful. The girl says"Put a sticker on it".
Result.

So I head over to Brennan's and get seated.
I discuss options with the waiter and go for the Redfish Jamie.
First course, Oyster soup.

Next , Brennan's salad.

Then the main course.

And for dessert, let's flammbe' some Bannanas' Foster.

All delicious and I'm stuffed.
I waddle back to the bike and head north across Lake Pontchartrain.
Then I turn east and ride to Mobile.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 07:48 AM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb I'm with you brother

I wintered 20 years in Oaxaca and started my dental with cleanings, then resin fillings. Save money and could recover on the beach for two months each year. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

After a sleep at the Roof I got up and tended the chain. It's starting to wear pretty quickly, here's hoping it will get me home.

On the way south I spot a clever solution to traffic snarls.

Then I started seeing signs for the Bellingarth Gardens, so here it is let's go in.

Kind of what I expected, some cars and some tour buses in the lot. I check on prices ,at $20 I'm ready to skip, then I decide to have some iced tea. The back door of the lunch room leads into the garden. It won't hurt to take a quick peek now, would it?

The Mobile Mustang club was setting up for a car show on this lawn the next day.

And that was the "iced tea tour".

Now on the Dauphin Island to catch the forth and last ferry of this trip.

While waiting for the ferry I had a chance to see Fort Gaine, a brick coastal defence fort from 1824.

When the ferry came I boarded behind these guys from Florida. One was on a Victory Hammer with drasticly short and loud pipes , the other on a 1050 Speed Triple with a throaty 3 into 1.
Turns out they were from Pa. and had an apartment in Panama City and they both worked on a supply boat that serviced the drilling platforms all over the gulf.

And we rolled on through Pine Beach and Gulf Shores.

In Pensacola I went to the Naval Aviation Museum, at the gate the guard asked if I had any bright colored clothes with me . I thought it was a strange question but , I said I have a yellow T-shirt but it's kinda funky as I haven't done any laundry yet.
He looked a little discusted and told me to go on.

Check out these accomadations.

The Liberty V-12.

This plane uses 4 Liberty V-12s !

Knife and fork rods.

Pratt and Whitney from WW2.

I rode over to my friend Lou's house and we rode off to dinner on his Buell's.
I rode the XB-12 first and it's damn nice. The torque comes on real low and my hand came off the left grip once leaving a stop. Better watch that.

On the way back I was on the Ulysses, it was a little tired compared to the 12 but still fun. We rode around the town a while the went back to Lou's and watched a Bruce Brown filmed '67 100 lap TT from Ascot.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 09:08 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
[/URL]

Due to the recent narco wars the army places an armored car here in addition to about a dozen machine gun toting soldiers. Just so you feel safe.

Excellent report!

I'll jump in here and say that bk brkr baker and I chatted a bit about N. Progreso, which is absolutely one of my favorite places to spend a lazy day.

A word of warning, however - if either the Mexican military or the US Border Patrol knows that you are taking photos of them, they will confiscate them.

Been there, gotten the lectures.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #20
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Excellent report!

I'll jump in here and say that bk brkr baker and I chatted a bit about N. Progreso, which is absolutely one of my favorite places to spend a lazy day.

A word of warning, however - if either the Mexican military or the US Border Patrol knows that you are taking photos of them, they will confiscate them.

Been there, gotten the lectures.

Well Pirate John , that's what I figured too. So I asked permission first. Twice just to be sure.And took two shots.

Then I crossed the street to one of the AK toting soldiers and suggested we take the gun to the river and "make it talk" and "pop off a few" .
Either this guy knew no English or thought I was a loco gringo, either way I didn't get to hear or fire the gun.

It seems that enough time has passed that the guys were little more relaxed.

I wouldn't joke around with the U.S. guards though. Way seriuos on that side of the bridge.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #21
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,845
Enjoying your American exploration ride on your way to that dentist.. this is definitely the best trip to the dentist I've ever seen!!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Enjoying your American exploration ride on your way to that dentist.. this is definitely the best trip to the dentist I've ever seen!!

+1. But what is even more amazing to me is all that food he was able to eat so soon after the dental visit!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #23
Big Steve
Banned

Oddometer: 2,431
Great thread ! ! ! ! !
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Well Pirate John , that's what I figured too. So I asked permission first. Twice just to be sure.And took two shots.

Then I crossed the street to one of the AK toting soldiers and suggested we take the gun to the river and "make it talk" and "pop off a few" .
Either this guy knew no English or thought I was a loco gringo, either way I didn't get to hear or fire the gun.

It seems that enough time has passed that the guys were little more relaxed.

I wouldn't joke around with the U.S. guards though. Way seriuos on that side of the bridge.

You did good Amigo.

Yeah, they are semi- laid back at Progreso. I've offered to hand them the keys to my Land Rover in exchange for the keys to their neat Panhard armored truck that they keep at the crossing. No luck so far.

But that thing about taking photos is serious, and I'm a bit surprised that they agreed to photos. You did the right thing about asking, however.

Just for the other inmates who might be crossing somewhere, I've never had any trouble at Progreso with the Mexican military but I have had the military decline to let me take photos elsewhere (at roadside checks near Victoria and Laredo).

And last year two armed soldiers questioned me about taking photos at the downtown Reynosa crossing while I was waiting for some riders to come through.

I have also had both the US and the Mexicans question me when I was taking photos of the flooding at the Reynosa crossing about 6 months ago.

The US has some weird rules that you can photograph them from one side, but not from the other. As I am sure you discovered, 9 times out of 10 the Mexicans are much more laid back than the Border Patrol guys are.

And both sides are sensitive right now about photos that identify their officers.

Looking forward to your return!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well it's time to head home , so I got up and showered and left Lou's about the crack of noon.

If any of you guys are racers you may remember Lou's Leathers. This is the same guy. He made custom leathers for years.
One of his more famous customers was Elmer Trett. The first motorcycle drag racer to top 230 mph in the quarter mile. The sort of thing you need a top quality suit for.
Lou also made my first custom fitted suit back in 1988. I used it for 20 years ,until it shrank ,or something.

I didn't get far before seeing the H-D shop had some kind of event on. I pulled in for a look and a hotdog.
They had a small show going on.

Inside they had a full brace of '09 R-E s on sale.

Back on the road, I decided to try a Whataburger while I was in the territory.

Like the man said in Pulp Fiction, "That is a tasty burger!"

Later in Alabama I pulled in a nice little dirt road to drink a Red Bull.

The spot wasn't as nice in a different veiw.

While at Lou's he told me of a ride he and some buddies had taken in Alabama to the Little River Falls and Canyon. I found it well after dark and heard the roaring of the falls and decided to stay so I could see it in daylight.

I couldn't find the campground so I set up the tent back a road for some kind of development. It was after midnight and no one was around so , no problem.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
mmx74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
thru the sound of motor:

old bikes are awesome!
mmx74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #27
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx74 View Post
old bikes are awesome!
Very true.
Welcome friend.
I'm amazed at the power of the WWW to reach everywhere.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had to climb out of the tent to drain and it was damn cold out. I climbed back in the sleeping bag and dozed off again.
When stealth camping I like to pop up at first light and leave, so this morning was atypical.
I was awakened by the crunch of tires approaching, busted! I looked out the tent flap in time to see a ratty Toyota P.U. making a u-ie. I guess he didn't want to be seen either.

The canyon in morning light.

The road splits around the Mushroom Rock.

Tree meets rock = love.

The Little River Falls.

I rolled north through Ft. Paine thinking of a southern breakfast.
I smelled something good as I passed a Mexican joint and decided to go way south for breky.
Huevos revoluto, con chorizo,con ceso. Yum.

Up the road I came on the road up Lookout Mountain.
Might as well have a look. I've passed by Lookout Mt. dozens of times through the years and this was the first time I'd ever gone up.

There are great veiws of Chattanoga from the Point Park. The park was a Confederate stronghold during the Civil War.

The biggest surprise to me was that the whole mt. is built up. It's a neighborhood.

I stopped by to see my daughter and son in law in Cleveland before the home stretch run.

The only problem on the home stretch was I got sleepy. I was fine running on my own but, when I got behind some cars I started yawning.
So to restore myself I headed down a farm road and across a field to a creek for a power nap.

I spread my tarp and drank a Red Bull then lay down to nap. I heard a metalic pop and looked up, things were fine, so back down.
I heard another pop and ignored it.
Then there were two pops in quick sucsession and the bike fell over . The sunken side stand syndrom.
That ended the nap.
I made it back into Ky. and was home a couple of hours later.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #29
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,827
Quote:

They said it would be a while and suggested I have lunch. So I did.

And the Mariachi band played.

That looks like Garcia's, upstairs. If you're ever there again have the Bananas Foster. The best I've ever had.

As for the top pic, the time I was in Progresso they had a small sand-bag bunker in the middle of the 5-way, star shaped intersection as you come into town with a 2x12 across it on which they'd mounted a machine gun. Scared me at first until I was told that it was to assure the tourists that they were serious about keeping the town safe from the drug gangs that had taken over Matamoros.

Enjoying your RR very much. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,827
Quote:
So I figured in Ky. the cost would be about $8000.

In Mexico, final bill $3240 and they did this work in 1 and a half days.
I spent six months working on South Padre (Hurricane Dolly). The locals all told me that they went to Nuevo Progresso for their dental work. Like you, they said it was +/-$0.33 on the dollar and they were always happy with the work. Great place to pick up your perscriptions as well. A nice road trip and dental work for 2/3 off. Fantastic. If you go back you can ride across the border. As soon as you get into town there's a restaurant on the left. The parking lot has a wall around it and a guard. Park there and have a drink or two or lunch. Do that and you can leave your bike in their lot all day, guarded, for free. Do what you have to do and then ride back across the border. If you need the name of the restaurant pm me and I'll see if I can get it from my friends down there. Also, you might look up Pirate John (he can usually be found hanging out in Jo Momma). He lives in an RV between Brownsville and Nuevo Progresso. He probably has more current information than I do as he's still living there.

Again, thanks for the RR. You, ummm, have any plans to do another RR when you return to NP for your final implants? Hmmmm?

Edit: If you go back to SPI, go to The Palms. It doesn't look like much but it's the best food on the island, bar none. I hold the record for the longest continuous stay at the property.

Edit #2: I see that Pirate John has posted in this thread. He's a great source of infomration for that area.

Edit #3: If I'd read to the end before posting I'd have seen you'd been in contact with PJ. I feel like a dope.

Hannda screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 10:48 AM
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote