Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnota View Post
It could be just a rumour but there is a bit of chatter on the Supertenere.net forum about the possibility of Yamaha releasing a xtz900.

A video has been posted on youtube that is mainly composed of old tenere clips but towards the end there are a few 'concept' images.
The images seem to have been made by photoshopping the xtz1200 and 660 together.
A 900 Dakar rep would certainly make the trip to Starbucks more authentic
Old 04-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
auto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Wow,I suprised this post is not getting more responce.This is the bike I was hoping for.I like the high front fender rally look.Could Yamaha reduce the weight to match the look,good question.I'm crossing my fingers.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
I would really dig a mid-sized vertical twin adventure-tourer, but without the electronics of the big, heavy 1200. Like the Triumph Tiger 800's but lighter.

I would love a midsized twin Yamaha that was dead-simple. No electronics would keep the price down, too.
You took the words right out of my mouth, that sort of bike is EXACTLY what I'm interested it.

The 1200 is too big, too complicated, and too expensive for my purposes.

Keep the FI, 270 crank, and shaft drive, but drop the WHOLE fly by wire, traction control, ABS, linked brakes, etc crap we don't need to ride a motorcycle. We rode motorcycles for decades without all that and you know what? It was FUN and you didn't need a computer to diagnose it and mortgage to pay for it.

I think it's kinda funny when people start asking if there's a way to turn it all off...... ya, put it on the center stand, rev it for a a bit in 2nd gear..... blah blah..... how 'bout if you just didn't have it to start with?

OK, I'm done with my anti-techno rant..... but just give is bikes that work, we can afford, and let the rider worry about getting down the road.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto View Post
Wow,I suprised this post is not getting more responce.This is the bike I was hoping for.I like the high front fender rally look.Could Yamaha reduce the weight to match the look,good question.I'm crossing my fingers.
Ok cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath! No way yamaha could take the 1200 and make it light enough to be competitive with say the KTM 990 (which is the kind of bike I think you're talking about). It would take a whole new design and Yam aren't likely to do that so soon after taking a big gamble on the Super Tenere, and in this economic climate.

Trevor
Old 04-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
They could do a Suzuki and use existing motors with upgrades and bung it in a modified TDM chassis, but they seem to want to do true dual purpose bikes at the moment. The current bike is not very Europe, but very Aus, SA, S America where big distances and crap roads are the norm.

They will not release a new model until they have at least recouped development costs on the current model. This was either developed so that as it is superseded they can trickle down the tech to another bike, which I think will be too much for the 660 or it was a toe in the water to see whether there was enough interest for a Japanese bike in that segment.

I think the way Honda is doing things will suit the Europeans more, because they don't really need true ADV bikes. They may think they do but the amount of tests that come out of, especially the UK, where they do pub crawls on sealed back roads, seems to indicate that the segment is more about jacked up sports bikes than true ADV bikes.

If the Tiger does well and the S10 sales keeps growing you may see it happen. I just hope it is a bit more than a modified TDM, even though that may suit Europe more. That's not knocking the TDM, I just hope it is more like a shrunk S10.

One thing I hope they don't do is make it chain drive. I would like to keep the shaft, even on a 900cc bike. Been done before

Cheers
Graham
The Tiger 800 is 94bhp and easily restricted to 47bhp (the new limit under Euro regs for riders under 24). I think some of these 800/900 bikes are planned to adapt to this limit; young riders can buy the bike and - after two years - uncork the full bhp.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny955 View Post
Well, we'd all like to see another bike in the marketplace but can Yamaha really expect to sell any at the prices they are asking for the XTZ1200?

I've not seen one on the UK roads yet...and I have been looking! In contrast, the XTZ660s are all over the place. They seem to have hit the mark with that bike with the right price point too.

Jon
I agree; the XTZ660 came out at 4200 in 2008. With the global meltdown they are closer to 7000 now. But the 1200 has priced most UK customers out. The USA is getting them for a staggering price, really.
IBA #40578

Old 04-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
In Belgium Tenere can be had for 6000 Euros new. Seen 2 on sale 2 weeks ago in multi-brand dealership priced at 5990 Euro. Prices are same for them and 690 Supermoto (the first one, with "beak")
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
Blue Ridge Runner
n00b

Oddometer: 1
That Yamaha sure looks good the 800-900 class makes good sense. This is my first post you guys are great.
Blue Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Runner View Post
That Yamaha sure looks good the 800-900 class makes good sense. This is my first post you guys are great.
Welcome to ADV
IBA #40578

Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
They did produce the 250cc, and people were doubting that at the time.....

250 provided a much needed 250 market (which is most of the world's bike bike) bike. it's a huge jump up to the 660.

...yamaha has a 660 thumper and a 1200 twin tenere, no way a 900 will ever come to be (during the current market conditions). that is purely one person's rumor. a 250 is not much of a stretch.

yamaha is building current bikes to market desires not race hopefulls. the great long dakar style races on big bikes days are gone replaced with more focused 450 machines.

now down the road if these 2 things prove to be true it might happen:
1. yamaha 660 & s10 sales far excede their wildest sales expectations
2. the 800 class (800gs & 800xc) prove to be THE market leading class replacing the 1200 GS class in sales.
...then yamaha could look to fill that slot. untill that all happens i say no.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 04-16-2011 at 09:21 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #26
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,893
Considering how many F650gsT and F800gs have been sold I would not be surprised if they would have come out with a 900cc. I am more surprised they produced the 1,200 instead of a more mainstream bike in the 800cc-900cc range.

They are having so many problems in Japan with the production of existing models that a "new model" will not be considered anytime soon. Too bad, they were moving to great new things......

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
The new V-STrom 800 and KTM 800 will whip it's ass on UK pub crawls though!

That's my prediction.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth, that sort of bike is EXACTLY what I'm interested it.

The 1200 is too big, too complicated, and too expensive for my purposes.

Keep the FI, 270 crank, and shaft drive, but drop the WHOLE fly by wire, traction control, ABS, linked brakes, etc crap we don't need to ride a motorcycle. We rode motorcycles for decades without all that and you know what? It was FUN and you didn't need a computer to diagnose it and mortgage to pay for it.
Isn't this bike called the Kawasaki Versys?
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #29
eakins
Butler Maps

why?

the 1200gs is the biggest adv bike seller and that was yamaha target.
i don't see 800cc as mainstream at all. it's emerging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Considering how many F650gsT and F800gs have been sold I would not be surprised if they would have come out with a 900cc. I am more surprised they produced the 1,200 instead of a more mainstream bike in the 800cc-900cc range.

They are having so many problems in Japan with the production of existing models that a "new model" will not be considered anytime soon. Too bad, they were moving to great new things......
Butler Maps website:
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #30
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
Isn't this bike called the Kawasaki Versys?
indeed kawi could take the versys package and produce a fine mid-displacement machine...but the keep pushing the klr
Butler Maps website: