Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #31
Ludocrator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
The Tiger 800 is 94bhp and easily restricted to 47bhp (the new limit under Euro regs for riders under 24). I think some of these 800/900 bikes are planned to adapt to this limit; young riders can buy the bike and - after two years - uncork the full bhp.
This new euro licence is the A2 (we already have it here in Spain )

It is not for riders under 24. It is for anyone who gets his new licence. You must keep it for at least 2 years before you can apply for the full-powered A licence.

I know that very well... (thank god you can limit the power on a V-Strom)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #32
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I myself would love a 8-900 Yamaha. I've sat on the big Tenere, and it's just TOO big for me. I've been eyeing up the Tiger 800, but would love to see that size Yamaha compete against it. Kawi already has a few different versions of their 650 motor, I wish they would take their Versy's and make it just a little more "dirty" out of the box.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #33
BHazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9654 View Post
I myself would love a 8-900 Yamaha. I've sat on the big Tenere, and it's just TOO big for me...
+1

The big Tenere felt too heavy for me (just sitting on it)
A Tenere 900, ABS, 90 -100 hp would seem to fit the bill.

Bruce
Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #34
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
Isn't this bike called the Kawasaki Versys?
A Versys engine in a KLR would be closer.

There is a lot to like about the Versys but it's too street bike for me. The engine is jewel though. If Kawi put a 270 crank in that Versys engine, wow.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thumb TDM 900 Adventure (shaft Drive)

Hi Everyone,
Just reading a few comments about how it would bew good if Yamaha had a 900 adventure.
Well I ask & suggested the idea to Yamaha Australia back in 2008 when I had a stall at the Melbourne Bike Expo (When rumours were out on the XTZ 1200 at the time).
They listened to me (but as usual they don't know Sh..) As I said when are you guys going to listen to the public & actually make a bike that will set the bench mark.
At the time they tried to say the TDM 900 was a bit of a adventure bike (maybe alright in Europe on Tar Roads) But the rest of the world we have real roads (Dirt, Sand, Mud, etc) And I told them that at the time I had just completed a Trip of 8500klms in 2 1/5 wks from Melbourne Victoria to the NT & back Via Camerons corner to Birdasville, Mt Isa etc to Lorella Springs on a TDM 900 & it wasn't suited for these conditions unless they did some major changes to the suspension, cut the weight down 20 - 25 kg lower centre of gravity keep the Motor (Beautiful Note & power delivery, great on fuel) throw in shaft drive then they would have a serious contendor on the Market.
Listen to people who actually do these rides.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
A Versys engine in a KLR would be closer.

There is a lot to like about the Versys but it's too street bike for me. The engine is jewel though. If Kawi put a 270 crank in that Versys engine, wow.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #36
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
On a YAMAHA ride day I did in winter I really liked the TDM motor, Not because it was a drag bike or a super stratospheric rev monster, just becaue it was a really refined (read characterless) motor.

It was smooth powerful enough and as far as I was concerned the best motor between the S10 and the Tedium 900.

So I came home with thoughts of a lesser weight S10 (S10 lite) with that motor. (Because it's not as brawny, it is a smoother package). However the 1200cc motor feels like it has some serious explosions going on down there.

Or basically a slightly shrunk S10. However at the end of the day I liked the S10 better then the TDM, because it felt well integrated.
Everything just worked well together. Same with the XJ6. So whatever they are doing at YAMAHA lately seems to be working well. The older designs were not quite the same.

They do have a gap there in the 900cc range, they do have the motor and they could probably copy the S10 and de rate a few things relatively simply.

BUT if they want to keep the character of the 1200 motor I would expect no more than 80HP but a very usable 80HP.

Enough for me. As long as it has the legs on the highway at legal-ish speeds and not feel strained, then it's fine by me.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #37
orestis
Time flies when riding

Oddometer: 33
Me and so many TENERE buddies have spent countless hours demanding in forums from YAMAHA to use the TDM's engine for their new Super TENERE. We also forwarded them the whole specs years ago but... deaf ears as usual. I guess their consultants are more advertisers than bikers.

I am still more than happy to keep riding my raised V-strom 650 which does fine almost everything for half the money and half the fuel of the big bikes.

Thanks YAMAHA for directing me to a brilliant machine that I would never pay attention to if you released a good substitute to my old XTZ750 (the bike I had for the longest time up to now). Well...if you really do it one day I might give it a look (and a thought) if my Suzi is too worn out then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperformance View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just reading a few comments about how it would bew good if Yamaha had a 900 adventure.
Well I ask & suggested the idea to Yamaha Australia back in 2008 when I had a stall at the Melbourne Bike Expo (When rumours were out on the XTZ 1200 at the time).
They listened to me (but as usual they don't know Sh..) As I said when are you guys going to listen to the public & actually make a bike that will set the bench mark.
At the time they tried to say the TDM 900 was a bit of a adventure bike (maybe alright in Europe on Tar Roads) But the rest of the world we have real roads (Dirt, Sand, Mud, etc) And I told them that at the time I had just completed a Trip of 8500klms in 2 1/5 wks from Melbourne Victoria to the NT & back Via Camerons corner to Birdasville, Mt Isa etc to Lorella Springs on a TDM 900 & it wasn't suited for these conditions unless they did some major changes to the suspension, cut the weight down 20 - 25 kg lower centre of gravity keep the Motor (Beautiful Note & power delivery, great on fuel) throw in shaft drive then they would have a serious contendor on the Market.
Listen to people who actually do these rides.

I
orestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #38
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Given that the new Triumph 1200 is going to be in vicinity of 130hp, anyone else think Yamaha regrets not givng the ST 15-20 more hp? Especially since most of them will live the majority of their lives on hard surfaces? I'm thinking that 2012 might see quite a few used Teneres dumped on the market with the Tiger Explorer, Guzzi NTX, and a water cooled GS (that will almost certainly be more powerful) on the way.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #39
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
Given that the new Triumph 1200 is going to be in vicinity of 130hp, anyone else think Yamaha regrets not givng the ST 15-20 more hp? Especially since most of them will live the majority of their lives on hard surfaces? I'm thinking that 2012 might see quite a few used Teneres dumped on the market with the Tiger Explorer, Guzzi NTX, and a water cooled GS (that will almost certainly be more powerful) on the way.
With so many new options, there will obviously be a lot of used Super-Ts on the market as folks buy the newest latest greatest toys. But just like the FJR being a great bike that soldiers on, I'm pretty sure the Super-T will as well.

As for more power, Yamaha clearly has a lot of growth potential in this new engine in all sorts of ways. With simply an ECU reprogram people are already getting nearly the power you mention. Look at how beefy those cylinders are and I could see a 1400 cc engine without much effort. It'll be interesting to see what Yamaha has up their sleeves, because none of the factories ever just come out and tell.

I hope I'm wrong but do highly doubt they'll do an 800-900cc Tenere. It would require a significant new development cost, take sales from both of their existing Tenere product lines. Besides, their investment and manufacturing returns are not coming from big-bores, they are coming from the world scooter and small-bore markets.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #40
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
With simply an ECU reprogram people are already getting nearly the power you mention.
I think you're taking some outlandish claims a bit too literally. Adding 20 peak hp to the S10 is going to take hard parts.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #41
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Curmudgeon View Post
I don't mind if it gets more power as long as they don't screw the bottom end, fuel economy and reliability. There is more to a bike than just more HP.

I suppose they could make a 150HP Monster if they want to. I am sure everyone would enjoy the toppy motor and the lack of low end torque and the decreased fuel economy.

I would suggest they would be better off with a variant, for all the spec shoppers. The BMW's have spawned Lenny's sprockets simply because some people find the motor just too toppy.

The DL1000 is just a bit too toppy as well. Some people like that, I am finding it a pain in the ass unless I am giving it stick, which is not as often as I am trying top keep my license.

But they may regret it seeing that all many people do is spec shop and buy road bikes,

In Europe, what they really want are Sport Tourers with Adventure Pretensions, so for that market maybe.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #42
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Well, after coming off a GS1200 & leaving ALL it's problems behind, I love this Tenere12 I got. Goes great 2-up in the mountain dirts(and recently, mountain snow). If they make this 900 Tenere, I just might get one of those too. Might even junk my beat to heck ancient Suzuki dirt bike(it's been great) & getta Yamaha too. Great to be back amongst the Yamahas.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #43
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I don't mind if it gets more power as long as they don't screw the bottom end, fuel economy and reliability. There is more to a bike than just more HP.
No argument there at all, and I'm not saying it even needs it from a practical standpoint. But we all know that HP sells bikes, and compared to some of the other competitor's offerings, the S10 is down a few ponies - especially considering most big Adv's get used more like sport tourers. With modern engine mapping, I'd think it would be fairly straightforward to have a highway mode with a Multistrada-like power curve, and an offroad mode for grunt at typical dirt/gravel speeds. I'd also like a "geezer" map, to keep us over-the-hills and has-been's out of trouble...

Celtic Curmudgeon screwed with this post 11-19-2011 at 06:52 PM
Celtic Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #44
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think you're taking some outlandish claims a bit too literally. Adding 20 peak hp to the S10 is going to take hard parts.

- Mark
That's probably right - the bike built for the Pharaohs Rally has 120 hp, according to this article. As I understand, this is purely electronics, no hard parts, and while retaining a fat torque curve. Getting another 10hp on top of that may take some hard parts, but if the torque curve suffers it's probably not going to be worth it for most people.

This ECU setup is available to anyone with (I think) around grand to throw at it.

"- Control: Diapason Racing brings the power of 120 hp at 2011 XTZ1200R Pharaohs, thus giving 10 hp more distributed throughout the supply curve and an explosive torque (also available for the unit normal Yamaha customers for installation on models standard)"
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #45
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thumb 900 Rumour

Yes HP sells, for those who want to do insane speeds & ride a R1 or GSX.
At the end of the day most people can't handle what they already have (We can all go fast in a straight line).
I personally think my TDM 900 would put it to my S10 in a straight line. (Power to weight ratio it faired very well).
But it lacked suspension & had a 18" front (This is why I mainly re-placed it at the time) Otherwise it was a perfect bike (I was concerned about the power loss at the time I got the 900 (Coming off a CBR 1100 Blackbird 163PS)
But the 900 motor won me over with it's caracter (Not speed).
My S10 however is in another league with the new technology (ABS, Traction control, etc.) It is also a bike that doesn't rely on revs (Hense why I like big CC) But as said if they made it 30-40 KG lighter then it would be a quicker bike anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That's probably right - the bike built for the Pharaohs Rally has 120 hp, according to this article. As I understand, this is purely electronics, no hard parts, and while retaining a fat torque curve. Getting another 10hp on top of that may take some hard parts, but if the torque curve suffers it's probably not going to be worth it for most people.

This ECU setup is available to anyone with (I think) around grand to throw at it.

"- Control: Diapason Racing brings the power of 120 hp at 2011 XTZ1200R Pharaohs, thus giving 10 hp more distributed throughout the supply curve and an explosive torque (also available for the unit normal Yamaha customers for installation on models standard)"