Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #61
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I can't imagine Yamaha will produce a 900 Super Tenere. I believe a 900 ST would tend to cannibalise sales from both the S10 and 660.

Better to produce an upgraded version of the TDM900. The Mk3 has been around for about ten years now, time to freshen up the old girl, especially as the world is starting to wake up to this style of bike. Does anyone else feel the TDM was way ahead of its time?
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #62
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
You never know, they also see the big sales of the Triumph Tiger 800XC/800.....and its counterpart the BMW F800GS. It'll be interesting if they really do....'till then I'll be ridin' my 660 Tenere or.....

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #63
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Super Tenere 900 rumour

Interesting thread. I too have always thought that Yamaha should have made a more dirt orientated 800-900 bike. Got sick of waiting so........made my own.

Its basically a TRX850 motor and frame running DR650 forks and 21" and 17" wheels. XJ6 tank and seat and modified rear end giving 10" of rear wheel travel. 17 litre tank is a little on the small side for long trips. Dyno reckons I'm getting 76hp at the rear wheel, and at around 200kg,it goes hard enough for me.
Attached Images

Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #64
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Interesting thread. I too have always thought that Yamaha should have made a more dirt orientated 800-900 bike. Got sick of waiting so........made my own.

Its basically a TRX850 motor and frame running DR650 forks and 21" and 17" wheels. XJ6 tank and seat and modified rear end giving 10" of rear wheel travel. 17 litre tank is a little on the small side for long trips. Dyno reckons I'm getting 76hp at the rear wheel, and at around 200kg,it goes hard enough for me.
What kind of a fender did you install on the 21" wheel?
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #65
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
two motors

Yamaha knows how to put two singles together, the Phazer/Venture Lite snomobiles are two WR 250 pistons and top end in a twin. So a Yamaha rep told me when they brought out that motor/sled in 2005 if I recall. The 500 twin in these snowmobiles produces 80 HP with a ton of torque and a wonderfull growl. Sounds nasty. So why not two WR450 pistons and a common head? easy 100 HP, broad torque. Common parts in the bin with proven components. If Yamaha stuck there nose into the 800 catergory my guess is it would hurt sales of the 660 more than the 1200.
But the 650 category is fading now anyway. My guess is Triumph BMW 800 sales have taken quite a wack out of 660 sales. Any way a Blue 800/900 twin would sure have me interested. The 1200 is just to heavy, no matter how good a moto it is. I do most of my riding alone and a bike anywhere close to six hundred pounds is a non starter for me.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #66
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
I can't imagine Yamaha will produce a 900 Super Tenere. I believe a 900 ST would tend to cannibalise sales from both the S10 and 660.

Better to produce an upgraded version of the TDM900. The Mk3 has been around for about ten years now, time to freshen up the old girl, especially as the world is starting to wake up to this style of bike. Does anyone else feel the TDM was way ahead of its time?
BMW in OZ had this problem when the F800 was introduced. It ate into R1200 sales. BUT after the initial year or so the numbers settled on both and the R1200 while not selling quite as much jumped to pretty much normal levels. (maybe 10 or 20% down).

So it maybe it would be true initially but it seems to expand the market rather than kill one part and boost another.

I am sure the bean counters at YAMAHA are way more on the ball with the figures than I am. I suspevt that an upgraded TDM would be better to be an XT900. I think there is more focus in that area now.

Just as the upgraded Tiger went back to being more off road, (with a leg on both sides of the fence though) admittedly.

YAMAHA would really not have a problem with using WR450 head profiles, cams profiles, pistons etc and I would wonder why they wouldn't. Why bother re-inventing all that stuff? It is not as easy as it first seems going from a single to a twin like that, but it would at least lessen some parts of the R&D and inventory costs.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #67
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Super tenere 900 rumour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
What kind of a fender did you install on the 21" wheel?
The fender is from a Yamaha XTZ660
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #68
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Initialy the F800GS cannibalized the 1200 because it was a "new" concept, without a defined segment. The market had somewhat lost the idea of the 800cc class at the time. Now that the 800 are a defined adv class, cannibalizing is not such problem.

Yamaha should not have the need to create a new engine for the XT900Z. They can downsize the 1200 or simply upgrade the TDM's engine, they are not that different.

Regarding the chassis, Yamaha proved with the WR250R that they can build a really good frame and suspensions and sell it cheap. I get amazed each time I compare the WR (6500) suspensions to the ones of 10000 or 15000 bikes, the 250 really has some nice legs.

Sooo, 900 TDM-like engine, WR250R level chassis, all this easly done by Yamaha, even to a reasonable price point
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #69
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i would have been very interested in a 900 tenere when i was shopping for middle weight adv type bike .
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #70
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I love my TDM and yes it fills every need I have...almost.

Now I do lots of travel and fuel range is fantastic. Im always comfortable and even the 2000k/24's are fine
What I would like to see is longer travel suspension and shaft drive. Also the screen/fairing could do with better support for the rough tracks.

That would be cheaper to do than build a complete new bike from the ground up.

The DVD at the start of this thread showed bikes with chain drive not shaft drive and the artist impresions are all the right side view only. Anyone notice that?
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #71
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
After having ridden the S10 for the second time I'd still prefer a lighter version. Whether it takes going to smaller displacement or losing lbs in other places, just figure out how to loose 40-50 lbs. If they produced a lighter and less techno version (I don't need any help riding my motorcycles) and hopefully a little cheaper I'd be all over it. Just don't loose the shaft drive in the process.

The way things are going it looks like I'll have to accept heavy techno-laden bikes from here on out, ugh. Next they will all have paddle shift automatic transmissions and air-bags.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #72
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
i would have been very interested in a 900 tenere when i was shopping for middle weight adv type bike .
Yeah, me too. Something like a civilized, shaft-drive, low (and easy) maintenance version of the KTM990, with Japanese reliability, support and price. Keep most of the electronic aids of the 1200 - the traction control makes having fun (twisting the throttle hard on less-than-perfect surfaces) less likely to end in tears, and the ABS works great in 99% of situations.

I have a Super Ten 1200, and it's great for most of what I use it for, but I think if I could have designed a bike for myself, the bike above would be it.

Trevor
Old 01-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #73
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Yeah, me too. Something like a civilized, shaft-drive, low (and easy) maintenance version of the KTM990, with Japanese reliability, support and price. Keep most of the electronic aids of the 1200 - the traction control makes having fun (twisting the throttle hard on less-than-perfect surfaces) less likely to end in tears, and the ABS works great in 99% of situations.

I have a Super Ten 1200, and it's great for most of what I use it for, but I think if I could have designed a bike for myself, the bike above would be it.

Trevor
i dont care for the electronic wizzardry except ABS .No desire for a shaft drive either . Target weight should be under 500 but 450 would be better. .I think i have found it in the tiger XC .
With the adventure bike market heating up like it is , the rumors of a mid weight tenere dont sound to farfetched.
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #74
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
i dont care for the electronic wizzardry
I didn't either, until I tried it. As long as it works reliably, and doesn't send the price through the roof (and it didn't with the S10), why not?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #75
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Something like a civilized, shaft-drive, low (and easy) maintenance version of the KTM990, with Japanese reliability, support and price.

Trevor
You have taken the thoughts from my brain. Why is it so hard to find that bike?
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote