User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #61
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Cortez,

Do they sit much different. One problem I have with My Daelim is that my knees are higher than my hips when I'm riding. (Think sitting in a chair with your feet on a phone book). How much less of a feet forward position is the Gti compared to the Downtown?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #62
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
From the info I have seen, the GT200i is the same as the new GT300i except for the engine which is 205cc. Even the weights are listed as the same. It would make more sense to buy the 300.

As for buying a motorcycle, it is hard to directly compare a scooter to a motorcycle. Most motorcycles are not nearly as convenient or practical as a scooter although they do offer more performance. I'm not sure why you would consider a sportster more capable than a 300cc scooter. Except for the fact that the sportster has a little more power, I don't see how it is any more capable. I would by a new GT300i or DT300 over a new 1200 sportster even if they were priced the same.

Well true, but I'm talking mainly value wise.

A 174.5 cc scooter isn't really capable for everything. Yes it IS more capable in town and such, but on the highway its not.

A Sportster 1200 has WAY more performance, and far better gearing. A 1200 will cruise all day long at 80 MPH in 5th gear, while the 200 won't even hit that speed on GPS. And you can't beat the sound of the Sportster!

But if I'm going intown I'm perfectly happy on a 125 cc scooter. Cheaper, better MPG, enough performance to pass traffic, etc.

So if the 200 is the same price as a used Sportster 1200, wouldn't it make more sense to have a Sportster AND a Agility 125? Then you have a highway capable bike AND a great around town scoot.

I wasn't talking about the 300. The 300 is more capable. 300 cc is nearly twice 174.5 cc.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #63
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
205 cc and 15.7 KW...thats around 21 horse power.

http://www.kymco.com/product/specifi...A-65B7FC2564F7

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 06:29 PM
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #64
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
205 cc and 15.7 KW...thats around 21 horse power.

http://www.kymco.com/product/specifi...A-65B7FC2564F7

Wait is that a different scooter? I must be thinking of the wrong scooter. I am thinking of the Yager GT200i which is 174.5 cc:
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...fications.html

If I am thinking of the wrong scooter

21 HP is decent. Not far from the Ninja 250. I guess it would make a little more sense. But still its pricey.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #65
Sparkytoo
Quiet Rider

Oddometer: 26
Revised Availability of People GTi 300

The People 300 didn't make it to Charlotte as planned. Introduction in USA now deferred to late June due to parts availability from Japan. Of note, the availability of the new Piaggio BV300 has been moved up to late June also. This could get very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkytoo View Post
The People GTi 300 will be available in May. It is being demonstrated for the first time this weekend at the NHRA drag races in Charlotte, NC.

I have become quite interested in this new model but expect to have a hard time choosing between it and the Downtown 300 which I recently viewed at my local dealer. The "big" wheels of the People 300 have a great deal of appeal, but the larger storage, bigger gas tank and much bigger windscreen favor the Downtown 300. Sitting on them side-to-side will certainly help.

Does anyone here have experience comparing the ride quality and handling of the big wheel People models compared to the smaller wheel Downtown models?

-------------------------------------------------

2002 Honda Silver Wing
Sparkytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #66
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Cortez,

Do they sit much different. One problem I have with My Daelim is that my knees are higher than my hips when I'm riding. (Think sitting in a chair with your feet on a phone book). How much less of a feet forward position is the Gti compared to the Downtown?
I can't really comment on the hips vs knees issue as I wasn't paying much
attention to that.. I just noticed that the GTi offers more space then the
Beverly/BV300 which forces you to sit at the very front of the seat, and you
can stretch out a bit on the GTi, and there's a lot more leg room and feet
positions to choose from.

More or less you sit like in a normal chair, completely relaxed, knees are
high, but clearance from the handlebars is great (a very common problem
with older kymcos).

But the Downtown.. oh boy!
You can put your feet a lot more forward, but those upper panels for
your feet are a bit ackward, but at 5'11" I could probably use them
outside of town. Seat is wider, padded better, and the back rest
seems great. The Xciting does seem roomier though!

There's been a lot of reviews of the Downtown and every single one
stressed how simple it is to use it around town and to change direction
fast.. they all probably had the need to say that because you probably
don't expect a scooter of that size to be agile.

I haven't ridden it, but people who HAVE ridden the Downtown and Xciting
say that the Downtown is A LOT more agile then the Xciting. I imagine the
GTi to be better in this respect too, but maybe not as much as people are
expecting (as in - the Downtown is probably better then most people think).

I'd recommend the GTi to anyone considering a big wheeled scooter as a
first option, but if you can, try the Downtown too, I think some might
'convert'.

The importance of big wheels is sometimes blown way outta proportion..
and usually by folks who (before their 16" wheeled scooter) owned a
classic 10" Vespa from the 1970s, OR folks who had a big motorcycle
and never even tried a small wheeled scooter.

I've ridden a lot of scoots in the last few years and while there are some
common stuff among the small vs big wheeled ones, suspension, frame and
geometry play a huge role in how a scooter rides and I now completely ignore
the wheel size and just try to test ride everything and then decide.

I wouldn't want to go under 12" though.. (skip the 'that's what she said').

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #67
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Went to my local Kymco dealer to see if they will be getting a GTi300 as I was very interested. Said they would only order one if I put a $600 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit! I know they want me to be serious, but is that reasonable? I mean, what if it came in and I just didn't like the ergos? I would have to either buy it or forfiet my $600! Seem a little to one-sided to me, after all, they are in the business and should be able to sell it, and are making the profit. They seem to be a sleepy little shop.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #68
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Went to my local Kymco dealer to see if they will be getting a GTi300 as I was very interested. Said they would only order one if I put a $600 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit! I know they want me to be serious, but is that reasonable? I mean, what if it came in and I just didn't like the ergos? I would have to either buy it or forfiet my $600! Seem a little to one-sided to me, after all, they are in the business and should be able to sell it, and are making the profit. They seem to be a sleepy little shop.
Kymcos are still hard to sell, the name doesn't sound 'as good' as Piaggio
or Vespa so they're probably being extra cautious, especially considering
the new GTi and Downtown are priced a bit high (in EU they're still cheaper
to buy then anything else in their class) and there's a lot of older models
around very cheap.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 04-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #69
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Kymcos are still hard to sell, the name doesn't sound 'as good' as Piaggio
or Vespa so they're probably being extra cautious, especially considering
the new GTi and Downtown are priced a bit high (in EU they're still cheaper
to buy then anything else in their class) and there's a lot of older models
around very cheap.
I don't think any business in the US can be a success if they don't have models on the floor to demo. Maybe the situation described was due to the scooter shop already having a few on order, and not wanting to risk having a glut of them on the floor. It doesn't sound that way though. Sounded to me like a shop playing wannabe dealer and expecting customers to buy up front because they couldn't/wouldn't lay out the cost to put minimum inventory on the floor.

I think (perhaps this is more a US perspective) that emotional purchases like scooters, guitars, etc are often done on impulse, and not having inventory loses all those customers who's desires will cool off if they can't have it NOW!

Anyway, I hope the GTi 300 is a huge success here, and I'm anxious to see a BV300 as well!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #70
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I don't think any business in the US can be a success if they don't have models on the floor to demo. Maybe the situation described was due to the scooter shop already having a few on order, and not wanting to risk having a glut of them on the floor. It doesn't sound that way though. Sounded to me like a shop playing wannabe dealer and expecting customers to buy up front because they couldn't/wouldn't lay out the cost to put minimum inventory on the floor.

I think (perhaps this is more a US perspective) that emotional purchases like scooters, guitars, etc are often done on impulse, and not having inventory loses all those customers who's desires will cool off if they can't have it NOW!

Anyway, I hope the GTi 300 is a huge success here, and I'm anxious to see a BV300 as well!
I've ridden and written about the new BV300 (look in this subforum if you
haven't alread) but I think the GTi would be a better choice. Seems bigger,
better floor/foot-room, and I thought BV needed at least 5 more HP, and
that's exactly what People GTI has.

BTW, dealers here don't pay up front for their scooters, only when they sell
them, so inventory isn't an issue, however test-rides are non-existent,
regardless of brand.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #71
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Did they say what the price would be or when they could get it?
Those triumph guys, they don't have those really expensive bikes sitting around, you order it, it shows up, it's yours. One of those would probably cost you $3K if you didn't want it. And there is probably not a blistering market for $6k scooters around there.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #72
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Did they say what the price would be or when they could get it?
Those triumph guys, they don't have those really expensive bikes sitting around, you order it, it shows up, it's yours. One of those would probably cost you $3K if you didn't want it. And there is probably not a blistering market for $6k scooters around there.
The price they quoted was the list $5399 plus tax & licesnse fees. He did day there are no other "junk" fees. I don't know about being a "blistering" market, but there are certainly scooters around here, and it seems like and more and more every week.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #73
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
The price they quoted was the list $5399 plus tax & licesnse fees. He did day there are no other "junk" fees. I don't know about being a "blistering" market, but there are certainly scooters around here, and it seems like and more and more every week.
I saw Givi had a nice screen for the GTi300.

I just meant that if you did order it, and then didn't want it, you may be better off taking the $600 hit up front, rather than trying to resell it yourself.

It's 1K cheaper than the Honda. One thing that holds me back is this bike duplicates my HD200 more than some others. And I'm pretty satisfied with the town and country performance and gas mileage of the smaller scoot. You probably are too, with yours. This bike could do all my riding except cross country. But it would get less mileage for my daily chores.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #74
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
I saw Givi had a nice screen for the GTi300.

I just meant that if you did order it, and then didn't want it, you may be better off taking the $600 hit up front, rather than trying to resell it yourself.

It's 1K cheaper than the Honda. One thing that holds me back is this bike duplicates my HD200 more than some others. And I'm pretty satisfied with the town and country performance and gas mileage of the smaller scoot. You probably are too, with yours. This bike could do all my riding except cross country. But it would get less mileage for my daily chores.
Good news that Givi already has a screen for the GTi. I really like my Scarabeo 150 in all aspects that I can expect from a 150 - and even more, but I just want a little more top speed and hill climbing ability for those times I do get on the freeway and interstate. I have test rode a HD200 and I think it is neck&neck with my S150 in terms of performance and size. I agree with you on the performance around town and on country roads.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #75
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Noticed that the Kymco USA website now list the People GT300i.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...00i/index.html