User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #76
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
GTi 300

I won't be giving up my Citycom for this. Eight more HP and the same top speed. I don't think so.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #77
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
300i overpriced? Get a People "S"250

Howdy,

To those of you who chafe at the new 300i's price tag, consider a leftover People "S"250; I'll bet there are a few left from '09 and '10 priced right. Just MHO and YMMV.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #78
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
I won't be giving up my Citycom for this. Eight more HP and the same top speed. I don't think so.
Gearing.
Try comparing acceleration times.
It'll sprint to 60mph as fast as most 500cc scoots.

I clocked Downtown at 10,5sec to 60mph, that's as fast as a Geopolis/BV/Beverly 400
(piaggio master engine, 34hp), and the GTi should be geared even lower.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #79
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

GTi 300

I have no doubt that the GTi will likely be quicker than my Citycom but the Citycom is no slouch. 0 to 100 kph in 12.7 which should give 0 to 60 mph in about 12 sec.

That time was with a low mile test bike and I know that my Com at 7000 klicks is much quicker than it was when it was new. I'm over six four and I like the room on the Com and I love the handling with the longer wheelbase.

I find my scoot is plenty quick and fast enough. IMO getting all excited over a scoot that might be a second or two faster to sixty misses the point of scootering when a run of the mill SV 650 will do it in 4.1 sec.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #80
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I have no doubt that the GTi will likely be quicker than my Citycom but the Citycom is no slouch. 0 to 100 kph in 12.7 which should give 0 to 60 mph in about 12 sec.

That time was with a low mile test bike and I know that my Com at 7000 klicks is much quicker than it was when it was new. I'm over six four and I like the room on the Com and I love the handling with the longer wheelbase.

I find my scoot is plenty quick and fast enough. IMO getting all excited over a scoot that might be a second or two faster to sixty misses the point of scootering when a run of the mill SV 650 will do it in 4.1 sec.
Yeah, I'm aware of that since I own a ER6F which is more or less as close
to SV as it gets, but I was still blown away by Downtown 300i's performance
when I had it for a weekend, and no other 250-300cc class scooter did
that for me before.

400-500cc scoots? Sure.

But even the new Beverly/BV300 with it's top notch piaggio quasar 300cc
which is butter smooth and a CVT that's tuned to perfection STOCK and
'shifts' like there's no tomorrow with it's 22,5hp engine (and similar top
speed to the GTi 300's) doesn't come close, and AT THE TIME of the
BV300 test ride I didn't care about it since it was fast enough and
moved great up to 50mph, was usable for passing from 50 to 65mph
and it seemed more then adequate.

You DO NOT expect this kind of drastic improvement when you sit on
a scoot that's supposed to be just 2-3 mph faster.

The Downtown (and probably the GTi 300 even more so) will accelerate
faster from 60 to 70 then any other 250/300cc scoot I tried will from 50
to 60 (I'll mention again that I didn't try the SH300).

Again, it's no deal breaker if the scooter is a bit slower, but when you try
this, you will want that kind of performance from yours, even if you don't
realistically need it.

Imagine riding with a medium sized passenger on your average 300cc scoot
(22hp) for a few days, then going solo after that. It's that kind of a difference.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #81
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

GTi 300

Good writeup. It is so true that specs don't always tell the whole story. It sounds like you have found the bike for you.

In my case the room , comfort and especially the handling far outweigh any possible power increase. I also have a 2002 V-strom 1000 that I have had since new, so I have got all the ' I must have a faster bike ' demons out of my system.

I have traded a bike I really liked for the faster model and found I was not happy with the result. For me the Citycom is a joy to ride and the more I ride it the more impressed I have become.

It is highly unlikely that I would be as happy on a shorter wheelbase machine.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #82
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Good writeup. It is so true that specs don't always tell the whole story. It sounds like you have found the bike for you.

In my case the room , comfort and especially the handling far outweigh any possible power increase. I also have a 2002 V-strom 1000 that I have had since new, so I have got all the ' I must have a faster bike ' demons out of my system.

I have traded a bike I really liked for the faster model and found I was not happy with the result. For me the Citycom is a joy to ride and the more I ride it the more impressed I have become.

It is highly unlikely that I would be as happy on a shorter wheelbase machine.
I hear ya (re: wheelbase).
I was demoing the Downtown actually as I was considering replacing both
my Kawasaki and my 125cc scoot with it.

Now I know that I want more comfort, better wind protection and at least
a few more HP to let the 650R AND the 125 scoot go, and yeah, longer wheelbase too.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #83
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

GTi 300

Last night late I was on my way home from work. There had been some lightening but not close and the wind is starting to pick up. We are on the cusp of a storm and I'm keen to get home.

A good part of the run is on a 90 kph highway with fast moving traffic. I keep it down to an honest 100 due to the magnetic attraction between LEO's and fast moving bikes.

The bike is starting to move around; things are getting gusty and I have the big Alex Frazer bridge over the Frazer river ahead. I slide ahead on my seat until my knees are just touching and things immediately calm down.

It's like I'm on rails, the air is mostly smooth close up behind the shield and I really wish I could just crank it WFO, it feels that good through the S bends.

I wouldn't care to ride a long distance like this; I'm on the narrower part of the seat but it's like the bike has a super cruise mode for whenever I need to meet a challenge. At that moment I wasn't thinking this is great for 263cc; I was thinking this is great period and it wasn't about the power.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #84
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Ordering a GT300i

I'm putting a deposit down so the dealer will order me a GT300i. Seems to me from the specs, and the experience some have had with the similar Downtown that this will be a good scoot for what I want. I want something nimble, yet capable to get me to my weekend place in the mountains. I need to be able to easily go from 1500 feet to 6000 feet, in 100 miles, with some of that climb on the interstate at 75 mph. Oh sure, a big bike would probably be a little more comfortable, but I also what it to be fun to ride around town, and all the normal smalish scooter attributes.

I even ordered it in the funky gold color!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #85
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 711
That's exciting, totally awesome! You got style, with that color, too. Can't wait to hear your impressions. GL
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #86
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I'm putting a deposit down so the dealer will order me a GT300i. Seems to me from the specs, and the experience some have had with the similar Downtown that this will be a good scoot for what I want. I want something nimble, yet capable to get me to my weekend place in the mountains. I need to be able to easily go from 1500 feet to 6000 feet, in 100 miles, with some of that climb on the interstate at 75 mph. Oh sure, a big bike would probably be a little more comfortable, but I also what it to be fun to ride around town, and all the normal smalish scooter attributes.

I even ordered it in the funky gold color!

I admit it, I'm jealous.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #87
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

I Ordered a GT300i last week with a $1000 deposit. There are 6 Kymco dealers in the whole state, and I contacted 3 of them. The most convenient dealer was lakadaisical and seemed to be bothered that I asked him to order me one. The next closest dealer wouldn't get back to me despite my call, email, and coming in and leaving "the guy" a written message. The dealer that was finally willing to order it for me and take my depost, now seems uninterested in finding a windshield that fits it. I'm now concerned about dealer support.

No indication on when the scoot will arrive, or whether or not there aren any in country.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #88
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
I Ordered a GT300i last week with a $1000 deposit. There are 6 Kymco dealers in the whole state, and I contacted 3 of them. The most convenient dealer was lakadaisical and seemed to be bothered that I asked him to order me one. The next closest dealer wouldn't get back to me despite my call, email, and coming in and leaving "the guy" a written message. The dealer that was finally willing to order it for me and take my depost, now seems uninterested in finding a windshield that fits it. I'm now concerned about dealer support.

No indication on when the scoot will arrive, or whether or not there aren any in country.
I would send Kymco USA an email saying what you just posted. maybe if Kymco gets enough complaints on dealers that are not interested in promoting their products they will improve some of their dealers attitude. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #89
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

GTI300 on its way!

http://www.kymco.com/event/2010_PeopleGTi/#/gallery/

The dealer I ordered the GTi300 from told me yesterday that the shipment is expected to arrive at the dock at the end of the month. A few weeks for clearing customs and shipping. So maybe the middle to end of August.

That's OK, it is just too hot to ride in the AZ desert this time of year, but looking forward to riding this baby a lot in the Fall.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #90
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,686
Congratulations on the new scoot!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote