Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
Zorro39 OP
Texan By Choice

Oddometer: 37
I have followed this one and a bunch more. The problem with some of those sites is that dealers often are always eager to put in a good word. One thing about ADV is you get honest opinions.
Zorro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I'd never consider buying one, and instead, bought a well cared for 1998 Helix for $1800. However, I feel the CFMoto Fashion/QLink Commuter (they're the same bike; QLink just rebadges them for the US market) do one thing for the Helix owner; they're ensuring that, even if Honda's parts warehouses suddenly disappear, there will still be parts available for desperate Helix owners (seriously, ANY part I need for my Helix, I can still get!) The replacement parts may not be "Honda Quality," but they'll work. And to echo the previous sentiments, the Chinese clones are utterly WORTHLESS on the used market; the local Honda dealer took a QLink Commuter with 3k on the clock in trade and sold it for $1000.00!! It was sitting next to my 1998 Helix (with 12k on it) which was tagged at $2700!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Now, you wanted to know weak spots? Here are some;

1) Mufflers fail much faster than the Honda equivalents; they're also restricted, which can slow the bike down quite a bit.

2) Plastics age MUCH faster; they crack easier, and are more prone to sun damage. I saw one in a used bike shop that was only a year old, and the black plastic parts (handlebar covers, floorboards, etc) looked like a Helix that has spent the past 20 years in a corn field, and felt as brittle.

3) Paint; some owners reported frame rust at the welds, and overall low quality paint on all unseen components.

4) The on-board stereo systems tend to break after a few rides...

5) I've seen at least one report of digital dash failure
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
...the CFMoto Fashion/QLink Commuter (they're the same bike; QLink just rebadges them for the US market)...
I sat on a Qlink Commuter in one of the local scooter shops a year or so ago. I was shocked how chintzy the plastic was even knowing how brittle some of the Chinese plastic scooters are (ie. Baja for sale at Pep Boys). It seemed really brittle, rattled just sitting on it and this was a shop prepped scoot by a dealer who at least tries to do a decent prep job. The local scooter club was parked out front with numerous older Honda and Suzuki maxi scoots and the difference was tangible.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Helix clone of a clone thread (not CFMOTO).

tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote