Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #106
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I put on a PR3 and have put about 1500 miles on it and love it so far.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #107
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediehl View Post
Sure wish there was a formal sport-touring tire review somewhere that had mileage as a primary focus. My Buell Ulysses is showing just over 12K on the odo, and it's well into its 4th set of tires (stockers, Pirelli Angels, PR2s and PR3s). I was figuring on getting 8, maybe 9K on the last set of PR2s, and was shocked to realize I'd worn it down to the cord after not much more than 3K! I ride briskly in the mountains a lot, but I'm not seriously fast and I don't slide tires or do wheelies or stoppies. Now I'm looking at the rear PR3 and wondering if it'd be OK for my planned 1K ride this weekend?
Not too abnormal... those Harley motors make some serious tire-shredding torque, and when mixed in with lots of spirited twisties, you get evaporating tires. Both PFFOG and I have worn sets out in 3k too (pics a few pages back) - I think he's on an R1100S, which ain't too shabby in the torque department either. I owned an R1100S but it was no where near the tire shredder my Harley was, but [I think] PF is one of those track junkie types.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #108
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
I'd read that the BT-023s were better than average for mileage, but I see contradicting stories here and there. There's a GT version of the 023s for heavier bikes, but I don't know if that would improve mileage.
The GT has a stiffer carcass, for heavier bikes. Same tread compound.

RE: the BT23, I got 9300 miles out of the rear on my FZ6, which is a ~90hp bike but has about zero torque and not much engine braking. I also run the rear at 40 and the front at 36 since I usually have the panniers loaded with junk.

If you're riding the torque wave on a Uly, pulling hard out of corners and engine braking a lot, you'll eat any rear tire pretty quickly. The longest-wearing touring tire I know of in a 180/55 is the Metzeler ME880. They are a pretty hard compound and not a dual-compound construction, but the long-distance rally nerds I know like them.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #109
ediehl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I suppose it probably is the torque of the Buell that's behind the premature shredding---I do enjoy powering out of corners...
ediehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #110
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Sure wish there was a formal sport-touring tire review somewhere that had mileage as a primary focus. My Buell Ulysses is showing just over 12K on the odo, and it's well into its 4th set of tires (stockers, Pirelli Angels, PR2s and PR3s). I was figuring on getting 8, maybe 9K on the last set of PR2s, and was shocked to realize I'd worn it down to the cord after not much more than 3K! I ride briskly in the mountains a lot, but I'm not seriously fast and I don't slide tires or do wheelies or stoppies. Now I'm looking at the rear PR3 and wondering if it'd be OK for my planned 1K ride this weekend?

I'd read that the BT-023s were better than average for mileage, but I see contradicting stories here and there. There's a GT version of the 023s for heavier bikes, but I don't know if that would improve mileage. I get a lot better mileage out of the Avon Cobras on my thousand pound Goldwing---I'd spoon those on the Uly if they made them in the right sizes. Some folk report well over 10K on their sport-touring tires----I guess the asphalt must be 'softer' where they ride...

you have to remember that they're sport touring, not touring.

If you want long lasting tires, look at ME880

those are a touring tire that's semi sporty, but not a sport touring tire.

the stickier and better gripping tires they are the less mileage they last. so just take that into account. I run a pirelli angel ST rear and a pilot power 2CT on the front and they last about the same amount, which is about 10k but then again I super-slab a lot of miles.
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #111
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,153
Thumb

I am currently running a set of PR3 with a "B" rear on my K1200RS. I'm at 10K miles now, the front is getting a little square, but I should get
another 1K to 2K miles out of them.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #112
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
I got a set of Road Pilot 3, for my Blackbird, coming in from Revzilla, I got it for a good price too.....$288 shipped for both front and rear. While typing this I went to check the UPS tracking number I received this morning and I just noticed that my tires are due to be delivered today. WTF, I was expecting them next week, I only placed my order this past Wednesday and I get my stuff on Friday?

Anyhow I bought these because of all the great reviews here and on other forums, I hope I'm not disappointed.

As a slight side note, I should add that I wanted to buy these tires locally but the "stealership" wanted almost $300 for the rear and just over $200 for the front. Fuck you very much but I'm taking my buying online. Here's a screen capture for what I got mine for.

Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #113
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
As I type this I have some PR3's getting mounted for the Bandit 1250. The front PR3 has 7,000 and looks a little more than half worn and the back Dunlop Roadsmart has 9000 and is showing the wear bars.

Could for sure keep using the front PR3 but I have a 10 day trip next month and I've never had two new and matching tires at the same time on the beast.

I try and suport my local dealer but not tires to much $$$. I do buy all my other stuff from them air/oil filters, tire mounting, my last helmet, clothing etc... For me it's not worth going to Sacramento to save some money or getting stuff site unseen from the internet.

rollinrob screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 11:44 AM
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #114
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
I am currently running a set of PR3 with a "B" rear on my K1200RS. I'm at 10K miles now, the front is getting a little square, but I should get
another 1K to 2K miles out of them.
Update: had the bike up on the rack this morning for some fluid changes. Upon closer inspection the front tire is at the inner wear bars and the back is close. Time for a new set of PR3s. 10K miles - not too bad.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #115
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Bridgestone BT023 GT
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #116
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I'm on a third set of PR2's. Even after the PR3 came out, I still buy the 2's. I rode them in heavy rain and love the way they dealt with the water. I'm sure the 3's are an improvement, and I'll buy them when 2's are no longer available. They (the 2's) lasted way longer than the Roadsmarts I tried out.

This latest set of PR2's are on my Hayabusa. Not exactly easy on tires, but I mostly tour on it and don't spend my time near the redline. I have about 5000 miles on this set and I fully expect to get another 5000.
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote