User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Steve Craun OP
benridin17yearsmyashurts

Oddometer: 113
Cry 2000 cagiva gran canyon electrical problem/smoke/bad sounds

So i started my 2000 cagiva gran canyon for the first time this season. i heard some bad sounds coming from the rear of the bike when i turned the ignition switch on. i pulled the rear cover off and found the plug that connects to the voltage regulator was melted. i replaced the plug and started the bike up. i ran it for about 15 seconds then turned it off to do some other work.

After that i turned the key on, then flipped the ignition ON button and hit the starter button, (i heard a bad sound from what turned out to be the computer), and the started kicked on but sounded bad like it didn't have enough voltage to turn it over properly. i let go of the starter button only to have the starter continue to crank over (again slowly). so i turned the key off and the starter kept going. i quick pulled the seat cover off and pulled the fuses and the stater finally stopped, but some smoke came out from around the batt's positive terminal. i pulled the battery and looked at the wiring, some hot spots but i can't see anything wrong. when i turn the key on, no problem it sounds fine (like a few relays kicking on) and everything comes on(dash lights and such). when i flip the ignition ON, i hear a high pitched buzzing sound from the computer, like a piezo speaker. when i unplug the computer the sound stops so its diffidently coming from the computer. i haven't tried the starter button.

I'm guessing its a short across the starter relay??? But I'm afraid i fried my computer...

Any thoughts, or a wiring diagram would help.
Steve Craun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 508
wiring dia..

Have you looked on the Yahoo gran canyon site? Pretty sure that's where I got my wiring diagram. Sounds to me like you've fried something; could be melted wire in the harness, could be the computer board. Post over there, more GC activity there, seems like I remember some guys over there parting a bike or two out if you end up needing a computer. If you don't get any help there, PM me, I could run you a cc of my wiring dia and send it thru snail mail.

roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote