User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
CANNONMAN OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Super Tenere Error Codes???????????

This is the first problem I have ever had with anything Yamaha. My S-10 ran fine on Sat., has about 1600 miles and I forgot to turn the key off, just hit the switch on the bars and on Sun. the battery was dead. Charged battery and now it won't start. It seems to pop slightly but won't go. Now an Error code of Er-1 is showing up. Anyone know what this code is for? All dealers around here are closed Sun. and Mon. It has to be something simple I hope.
CANNONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
sscol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Try starting it with WOT. I have heard that works for the Tenere.

Not sure about the code.
sscol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,242

Hope that helps.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Sounds like you popped a fuse when you charged it. Check fuses and battery voltage.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejr2000 View Post
Sounds like you popped a fuse when you charged it. Check fuses and battery voltage.
The fault code is probably still there from when the battery was low. Try a WOT start as that often succeeds. You are probably dealing with a flooded engine at this point. If a WOT start doesn't work, an even better way to clear the flooded condition is to pull the EFI fuze and just crank over the engine at WOT for awhile to draw more air though the engine and kinda dry things up. Then you can replace the fuze and try another WOT start. If you're still nervous about it being flooded, you can insert and extract the fuze as the engine is spinning to give it leaner mixture until it's started.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 122
WOT = Wide Open Throttle?

Just curious...
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CANNONMAN OP
Adventurer

Tested battery at 13.2 volts. Checked all fuses and they are fine. This morning it now has no power even to the gauges. Acts just like the main fuse is blown but it looks fine as do all the othere fuses. I at first thought it was just flooded and tried the wot with no results. Dropped it off at dealer today. We'll see what happens. Glad it happened in the parking lot and not 15 miles off the beaten path!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
LOL!..yeah, WFO in other circles. You won't actually get WFO on the throttle bodies because of the ECU programming controlling the fly-by-wire throttle, but more air will flow through then if you didn't.

Sent from my F-05D using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONMAN View Post
Tested battery at 13.2 volts. Checked all fuses and they are fine. This morning it now has no power even to the gauges. Acts just like the main fuse is blown but it looks fine as do all the othere fuses. I at first thought it was just flooded and tried the wot with no results. Dropped it off at dealer today. We'll see what happens. Glad it happened in the parking lot and not 15 miles off the beaten path!!!!!
Keep us posted on the outcome.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
CANNONMAN OP
Adventurer

BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never seen this before. The battery tested out fine at the dealer also until put under a load and then it dropped immediately to 0.00. Dealer installed new battery and life is wonderful again. Grand Mesa Motorsports in Delta, CO is awesome.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never seen this before. The battery tested out fine at the dealer also until put under a load and then it dropped immediately to 0.00. Dealer installed new battery and life is wonderful again. Grand Mesa Motorsports in Delta, CO is awesome.
Hmmm an open circuit Battery - if a battery goes open circuit while the engine is running they can do a lot of damage I have heard of radios and all bulbs being blown and other electronic systems fried, that is why vehicle breakdown companys are not suppose to just jump start they are suppose to charge the battery with the donor vehicle and then allow the vehicle to start from its own battery - if the battery wont start it you get a choice of being towed or fitting a new battery.
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Gooner
DC 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
LOL!..yeah, WFO in other circles. You won't actually get WFO on the throttle bodies because of the ECU programming controlling the fly-by-wire throttle, but more air will flow through then if you didn't.

Sent from my F-05D using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the info
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Gooner
DC 43

Quote:
Congrats on a problem (hopefully) solved! I had a 98 VFR do something similar once. Like with your S10, replacing the battery solved the problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
NY-KLR-Joe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
The fault code is probably still there from when the battery was low. Try a WOT start as that often succeeds. You are probably dealing with a flooded engine at this point. If a WOT start doesn't work, an even better way to clear the flooded condition is to pull the EFI fuze and just crank over the engine at WOT for awhile to draw more air though the engine and kinda dry things up. Then you can replace the fuze and try another WOT start. If you're still nervous about it being flooded, you can insert and extract the fuze as the engine is spinning to give it leaner mixture until it's started.
D
Thank you for this info. My tenere was flooded yesterday & would not start. Was about to undergo major surgery pulling the plugs but a search brought me to your info, & the fuse trick go the bike started. I am also thinking I have a bad battery. I bought the bike 11 months ago. It tests 12.8 volts but think I need to load test because it cranked slow the other day, causing flooded engine, I think.
NY-KLR-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Had a quad do this yesterday. Kid was riding it around and we put in the
garage for the night. Next day no starter. Battery showed a charge.
Put in a new battery and all is well.

Glad your bike was a simple fix. For a minute there I thought we
might have our first real Tenere issue, damn no such luck.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote