Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,732
Yep there was only one month ( Dec) when I didn't ride. Bussing sucked at 5 bucks a day. That s the last time i listen to weather guys saying it's going to be a bad winter. Bad winter my ass there was under 15 days of snow on the roads in vancouver bc. Yes There was days I got off my bike to hear crack , thud, crack , thud. I frozen my balls and ass off but that's life.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
Scooterholic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
I commute to work mon-fri on the scoot, but weekends I usually play with the ninja.
Scooterholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
mac66
Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_SHRUB View Post
Same boat, In fact, I don't even have a drivers license, just my motorcycle license, so it's two wheels or the bus for me! And as of late, the bus is really starting to wear on me
I've never heard of just a motorcycle license. Most places have just generic driver's licenses and a special endorsement for motorcycles.
3/CT90s
Honda Spree
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
I've never heard of just a motorcycle license.
Example: European Union - driving license "class A" - doesn't include any multitrack vehicles, not even 50cc miniature quads.
And the driving is really different: Motorcycle/car behave different after a jerk on the steering bar/wheel.

alicethomas screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:30 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #20
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I use my scooter for a twice a month long distance commute (110 miles one way) 1/2 single, and 1/2 -4 lane highways.
perfect bike, non stop, very comfortable, keeps me dry in the rain, ( even have a cup holder)
I know! I know! its a scooter, not a touring bike! To me its a mini Gold Wing!

I bought my scooter for a purpose, to feel a need, for long distance commuting, and a few times for joy riding, If you own a scooter to impress other people then you bought it for the wrong reason, if you feel the need to impress young college girls, or older haggy women with tatoos then you need a HD with lots of chrome and a loud exhaust.
nobody is impressed with your scooter, in fact most people think you're outta your mind for owning one, untill you accept that you'll never be happy owning a scooter, and or a scooter is not for you!

Tacoma screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 02:26 AM
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 306
My scooter gets ridden every weekday. My big bikes come out once or twice a month on the weekends.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
doesn't matter if you own other bikes and your an experienced rider for 20 years, (I also own a Yamaha FZ6) if you ride a scooter you will be judged by other motorcycle riders as a total loser, a beginner, a person that can't ride a real bike with a clutch, a nerd, stupid for owning one, a person that makes real bikers look bad, a girls scooter, mommy's boy.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
doesn't matter if you own other bikes and your an experienced rider for 20 years, (I also own a Yamaha FZ6) if you ride a scooter you will be judged by other motorcycle riders as a total loser, a beginner, a person that can't ride a real bike with a clutch, a nerd, stupid for owning one, a person that makes real bikers look bad, a girls scooter, mommy's boy.
Really? Where the hell do you live? Everyone says I look cute on my scootah.

Back to the thread: I commute on the scoot and take the "big" bike on weekend rides and vacation. I can't get 50 lbs of cat litter on the DRZ.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:

Not at the gas pump! Filling their 5 gallon Harley tanks only good for 200 something more miles!

But this holds true in some situations, but MAINLY depending on the area and the locals.

Around here, most bikers will return the wave, and there is an increasing number of scooters on the road in my town!

Sure, if your trying to impress a girl or just the type of guy looking to impress people in general, well then a scooter will be a problem for your weak ego. Theres nothing cooler than pulling up on a Harley or all new R1, but scooters rock at the pump! And their overall a blast! Automatic, etc.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
THE_SHRUB
Potted plant

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Yep there was only one month ( Dec) when I didn't ride. Bussing sucked at 5 bucks a day. That s the last time i listen to weather guys saying it's going to be a bad winter. Bad winter my ass there was under 15 days of snow on the roads in vancouver bc. Yes There was days I got off my bike to hear crack , thud, crack , thud. I frozen my balls and ass off but that's life.
Hell, I wish I lived in Vancouver! Toronto has snow from november right through to march! IT SUCKS! I would totally put up with the cold if I knew I didnt have to deal with the snowbanks and stupid drivers!
THE_SHRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
Dr. Motardo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
I think what actually matters is one's attitude and how one carries him (or her) self. I know of many scooter pilots who share your view but I've had no issues with other riders or drivers giving me crap. Could be the gear I wear but I like to think it's because of how I ride. Which is, in a word, aggressively. I don't flaunt the law and I don't act like a squid, hooligan or a fool, I'm too old and have been riding far too many years to take senseless risks. But, I think I look like someone who knows what he's doing and others tend to maybe respect that. Of course, Denver has a big scooter community and, for many of us, the scoot is only one bike in the stable.

As far as the OP my scoot is my daily commuter. For my commute, which is about 4 miles one way through neighborhoods, nothing is better. My Buddy 125 goes thru a tank of gas every 2 weeks or so and a fill up costs me around $4. By contrast, my Hyper isn't even warmed up after 4 miles and it also has no place to carry my lunch. So yeah, the scooter every day if there's no snow or ice and the Hyper gets to stretch it legs on the weekend.
Dr. Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #27
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I have a rat Elite 250. Body was rough, so I painted it all bedliner black. Threw a knock off GIVI top case on it and it gets ridden daily during the non snowy months. I commute, run errands, and just screw off on the thing. It will carry me at 65 mph + speeds easily and has been netting 55 ish MPG.

On the weekends I am usually on longer rides with either the KTM or Tiger.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #28
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
My PCX only gets stroked Monday thru Friday. Commuter. Weekends are for the Versys but last weekend I stole my kid's VTX. Tis a shock to go from 125 cc's to 1800 cc's. It's all good.

Got a chuckle. That must be a shock. Nice that you have the 3 rides to choose from and each so different.

I have scoots - wifey has a car. When she works of if we're going separate places I'm scooting. When we are together I drive her car.

Lucky here in NC, tho about 2 months can be kinda tough, you can scoot all year.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #29
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post

Got a chuckle. That must be a shock. Nice that you have the 3 rides to choose from and each so different.
Actually, I have 4 choices. A fire-breathing V4 Honda Magna resides in my garage also. That motor really sings to me above 7000 rpms. It is my son's also and I have made him a lowball offer to purchase it but he ain't biting.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,730
I have a Zuma 125, a Shadow 750, and a Toyota Camry that I switch between. The wife has a Suburban if I need something big.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote