Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #31
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrys View Post
Big respect for Vincent. Incredible how he could hadle that beast in those conditions. But the most important he was always with a big smile on his face. We just arrived home, but they decided to come back on theroad. They must be still in southern Morocco. We felt sorry about the tent, hopefully something was arranged. You are the big winner
hello ferrys, I've realized just now you should be the Jose with the DRZ400!? I have tons of questions to ask you!!
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #32
Ferrys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I think that's me.
Here last sunday in Dakar beach. A nice feeling.
If I can be of any help, let me know.
Ferrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #33
Gian
dreamer

Nice photo, hope you can post some more!

PS: sent you a PM, thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #34
Ferrys
Adventurer

I will reply here so everyone can have the info.

The DRZ has an Arcebis tank. Not sure but about 17 l. It's old and inflated. I had installed a rear tank, but got so many problems that I stopped in the middle of nowhere, took it out and gave it to a local. From that moment I had no problems anymore. For a few stages (liasons) I had 2 water bottles of 1,5l, just in case. I had no range issues.
The DRZ is standard with steering stabilizer and suited for my size. A rear rack and the normal bits (case covers). Since the original radiators were no that good anymore I installed an after markt oversized radiators. I also installed a temperature gauge. The only moment the motor got over heated was in Nouakchott and Dakar city..................

The rally, fully recommended. The organization is growing but it is unbeatable. For what you pay, unbelieveable. They really try hard and Jiri Vasakto, the organizer is a hero for all of us. The only thing I would change is the scoring method, vey confusing. Not a problem for me because I was not in the fight. I would also like to see Jiri in a more proactive role. He is a nice man. He needs to understand those 2 weeks he has to be "le patron", doesn't need to be nice. We will follow you Jiri.

My adivice to you and anyone is do it. Don't make plans for the future. There will be a 2013 edition. But all this is possible to one person. One person that puts lots of time and money, yes his own money, to make this happens. And to a team of volunteers. Once they get tired, that's it.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Gian
dreamer

Thanks Ferrys, is your DRZ an E or S? I own an E and offroad I don't I could (safely) get more than 200 km with my 16 litres IMS tank I would also love to see a photo with the stabylizer and the instrumentation :)

As I wrote you, it's my dream but of course I can't do it alone. There is an assistance team that could be interested here in Italy, but it looks they are already booking for the next Africa Race, which is really far from my budget. In a previous message you stated your budget around 5000 euros, do you think you have remained within this amount? Another question regarding the "adventure" motorbikes: was the road the same as yours? I mean I saw photos of 1200GS, LC8 and I don't think is really possible to do all those tracks with those kind of bikes unless you are a VERY VERY GOOD rider. And the dream would be to bring my Africa Twin there, (the DRZ would be a second option), but if the roads are exactly the same as the race ones, I don't think that will be possible for me.

thanks again!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Ferrys
Adventurer

I have some pictures somewhere. I will look for it. The bike is in the container...............

The budget is a very tricky question. Depends on many factors. The miniminum you have to think of is the entry fee, the insurances/visas, etc., the flight back from Dakar (about 400€), tyres (you will do with 1 desert front and 2 desert rear, with the mousses about 500€). There you will need another 1.500€ for expenses. Of course some spares and consumables (oil, filters, etc). Next to that the container and someone to bring your stuff.
That's the minimum. If you want a mechanic, etc., you will need more money.

This year we went with a good infrastructure, if next year I go, it will be cheaper, therefore in a more moderate way. But we are just landing so I don't want to think about it.
The organization, as I said is growing, and I think they will have to provide more services. For instance, it does not make sense to have all teams loading containers individually. The organization should provide a big container were we could load all the bikes and ship to europe. Costs would be very convenient for everybody.
It would be also be very convenient to provide a "Malle" option, like in Dakar, were the organization brings 2 boxes and 2 tyres for you. Of course, the entry fee would increase, but it will be still a low budget, cheaper and very flexible for people.

About the adventure class, I can figure out that it will dissapear. It does not make sense to have 2 routes. The organization has to cover 2 routes, wasting resources. This year there were problems...... I would also never join that class since they start up after the cars. A pain in mountain sections. Much better to join the race and take it easy, like me.
The route is not suitable for big twins. Vincent is one of a kind and 25 years old, but I saw him struggling in the sand. It does not make sense. There were other guys with big KTM's. But they are also big guys. Size matters. Again, I did not see them in sand or rocky sections, but in fast sections they were in fron t of me. The route is not very technical, but let's say that 10% is there. Perhaps Vincent can answer you.

About your DRZ, my model is an "E", 2007. Never gave me a problem in many years. The best bike I could dream off. But it will never go back to Dakar. Next one will be with a Honda or Yamaha. Those suspensions, that power, that weight.
My advice to you is not to undestimate this rally. It's not Dakar (and it should not be) but is a tough one.My friend and winner of this edition is an experience Dakar rider. He has budget for next year's Dakar, but has decided to do the IR2013 because he had lots of fun. He said this can be compared to a Tuinisian rally, with more days. He did not prepare this rally as a Dakar, but he is always fit and he was exhausted at the end. Africa is Africa.

A nice photo,

Ferrys screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 10:59 PM
Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
Gian
dreamer

Jose, I have been three times in North African deserts tours: Marocco with a Dominator, Libia with DRZ and Tunisia with Africa Twin, so I know on my expenses there are tricks and dangers everywhere (and they were tours not races), so I will never underextimate anything down there!

I hoped the ICR "adventure" route was a good mix of asphalt and easy offroad tracks, because I really want to go to Dakar but not completely on asphalt, would be too boring even for my Africa Twin

On the other side my DRZ is a bit seasoned, maybe too much for 2 weeks and 5000 km of hard tracks, so maybe I'll look around for a tour operator that could bring us to the Lac Rose with the right mix of relax, fine landscapes and a bit of adventure. Many thanks again!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #38
Ferrys
Adventurer

1st of March the inscription will open for the 2013 edition. Hold on to that moment to make a decision.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #39
max medic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Icr

Me and the wife are interested in taking part in the ICR, I took part in the Tuareg rallly last year on my WR450, my wife now wants to join in on the rally fun So it looks like the WR will being going to make way for a 4x4.

How much sand and dune work is there? how technical are the trails ? just tring to get a bit of info on the rally route to workout if i could do it in a standard 4x4 or if I will need to rally convert one, not intrested in compeating for a good result, would just be looking to get there.

Max
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #40
Ferrys
Adventurer

Not an expert here, but I think one of the problems with 4wd is weight. Mostly they go overweigthed. I think a standard 4wd, a real one or a pick up, can do it with minimum preparation. Protections and suspensions. Of course, it depends on your goals. The faster you go, the more you will brake.
In Mauritania we met a local, good friend of a few members of the spanish team. He has a Toyota pick up. He overtook all racing cars in a beach section. While all the others were jumping around, he was driving smoothly throug the sand. His car is standard and he is very experienced.
Track is standard Morocco. Lots of sand in the south and in Mauritania. Senegal, the same. Lots of stones in northern Morocco. Adapt your speed to the conditions and will be fine.
Again, not an expert.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #41
tommerup
Pauli

Oddometer: 27
Thumb

Whoaaa guys, I was one off the guys on an LC8 , doing the adventure class, and will give you my opinion on the driving..
The Adventure and race routes are the same. No difference there, only difference is that in the adventure you can take the asfalt (where possible) instead off doing the whole course, and you do not have a time limit.

The driving is not that hard on a big twin iff you are an experienced rider. My riding buddy (on a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere) and I "only" missed 4-5 CPs. Off course it is easier on a small bike, but iff you only have a big one, well go on that. I agree with Jose about the diffuculty, about 10% are technical, the rest is just fun ;o)

And dont believe what Jose is saying about my size...... Im only a little overweight ;o)

Starting after the race class cars was not so bad, especially on the last half there was not many cars left. Most off the cars were very consideret and would let us pass as soon as they saw us...

Generally everybody participating in the rally are (were) very freindly and helpful, especially after sharing a few beers ;o)

All that Jose has mentioned about the organisation, I will second! They did a really good job, off course there is room for improvement but overall, thumbs up from here.

Jiri is putting in a huge effort (and a lot off money) to make this happen and deserves all the credit he can get!

Looking forward to see what they brew up for 2013 ;o)

If your thinking about going and wondering iff your going to get your moneys worth, stop worrying and get on with it, its a really good experience!

tommerup screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 10:24 AM
tommerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
tommerup
Pauli

A few pics here: http://www.teamtenere.dk/?page_id=32 on our team page.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #43
tommerup
Pauli

Looks like you are right Jose. In 2013 there will be a difference between race and adventure category routes.... To better beinging able to accomadate the Adventure class. I think its a shame and potentially it will change the event. To bad, but hey its still a damn good experience.!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #44
Ferrys
Adventurer

1. We are moving to an all inclusive price structure. The entry fees next year will cover all accommodation in Marocco, Mauritania and Senegal, as well as the ferry crossing for both vehicles and participants. No more searching for spare change to pay for the bivouac, basically you are responsible for food and gas and we will take care of the rest.

2. The rules and regulations for the race category have been clarified to provide for more fair and competitive contest. Some of the highlights include mandatory special section start and finish, point deductions for missing the control points and elimination of vehicle substitutions.

3. The adventure class is moving to a more relaxed, non competitive format more suitable for long distance touring enthusiasts with limited off road experience and less capable vehicles. The adventure route will follow the bivouac to bivouac route assigned to service vehicles with some optional sections in easier terrain. The elimination of ranking will foster a sense of community and allow for sightseeing and discovery along the route.

Pauli, you should enter the Race class and do it in your own tempo. That's what I did. No difference for you.

There are a few changes.

A few good, for racers, like time penalitation for missing a CP. But I do not see the rally maturing the way I would have like to see. Sorry guys.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #45
Gian
dreamer

I have a question for both the racers and adventurers of the 2012 edition: I can't clearly understand if the navigation was only with gps points or you needed also the classic roadbook holder and tripmaster set!

Thanks in advance