My library manual contains:
XR500r 1983 (thanks to JIM and MARIO)
XBR500 1985
XL600 1983
XR600 199 ....
XR650L 1992
XR650R 2000
These books will help me in my work.

But opinions (advice) experienced riders will be more useful and important to me!!!!!!!!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #77
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Reading the manual and OEM parts( partslists / parts fiche) on the clutch (primary reduction) I made ​​some conclusions.

Distances between the axes of the transfer primary reduction clutch at XR500 differs from the XR600 and XL600!!!!!

Make corrections if I'm wrong.
Here are my notes.

Ghost Mutant,
I thought that we could use the clutch and gear from 600 for our 500.
But I was wrong (it says my Research)
Attached Images

Ivanych screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 11:55 AM
Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #78
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Reading the manual and OEM parts( partslists / parts fiche) on the clutch (primary reduction) I made ​​some conclusions.

Distances between the axes of the transfer primary reduction clutch at XR500 differs from the XR600 and XL600!!!!!

Make corrections if I'm wrong.
Here are my notes.

Ghost Mutant,
I thought that we could use the clutch and gear from 600 for our 500.
But I was wrong (it says my Research)

No!

The distance between the crank and clutch are the same. The baskets have the same number of teeth between the 500 and 600. The buffer springs are different. The only other difference I've found is that the 600 clutch basket has an extra steel shim to protect the aluminum on the back.

The crank primary gear on the XR6 has a different tooth count as you found out. But the diameter of the gears are the same.

Honda has played around with the gearing among the different RFVC machines. This was done by adjusting the gear count by one, but keeping the gear diameters the same.

There is enough clearance between the gear teeth to do this.

I changed my primary gearing to the XR600 crank gear to see if I like that better. I also changed my rear sprocket to a larger size.

I'll take a few photos later to show you the difference between the primary gearing and the clutch baskets.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #79
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
No!

The distance between the crank and clutch are the same. The baskets have the same number of teeth between the 500 and 600. The buffer springs are different. The only other difference I've found is that the 600 clutch basket has an extra steel shim to protect the aluminum on the back.

The crank primary gear on the XR6 has a different tooth count as you found out. But the diameter of the gears are the same.

Honda has played around with the gearing among the different RFVC machines. This was done by adjusting the gear count by one, but keeping the gear diameters the same.

There is enough clearance between the gear teeth to do this.

I changed my primary gearing to the XR600 crank gear to see if I like that better. I also changed my rear sprocket to a larger size.

I'll take a few photos later to show you the difference between the primary gearing and the clutch baskets.
I was wrong.
It's good that the distance between the crank and clutch are the same.
This means that Honda uses offset wheels.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #80
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
That clutch does look worn. Remember that the XR500 has a unique clutch basket with different buffer springs from the XL600/XR600. I picked up a cheap XR600 clutch thinking it would be a good spare, but then I noticed the bigger springs. One more thing that is different about the 500s.

I wonder if the clutch basket rivets could be removed and the springs swapped? That way a new XR600 basket could be used in the XR500 with the stock springs. But I decided that my clutch baskets had some life left in them, so I put the engines back together with the original baskets:
We can use the clutch XR600 if the distance between the crank and clutch are the same?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #81
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
We can use the clutch XR600 if the distance between the crank and clutch are the same?
Yes, it will fit.

Buffer springs are different. I don't know what difference that would make. Switching to the XR600 primary gear might put less stress on the transmission. That's why I used the XR6 primary gear to drive my XR5 clutch baskets.

Here are the photos of my extra clutch baskets. XR5 on left, 86 XR6 on right:

The aluminum castings are the same. Both are labeled MG3.

Here is the back side, XR5 on left, XR6 on right. Note different buffer springs:

Besides the springs, there is a steel shield or shim that protects the aluminum on the XR6 basket. I think that was added to prevent wear from the kick start connecting gear.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #82
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 360
Hi Ivan!

I'm impressed with all that work, I realize that here in Argentina we didn't get any XR 500 or 350, they are both beautiful machines, and i guess that they are very powerful too.

I'm sure that you'll get that bike running in a very short period of time, you'll see..
And I think that it'll be easier to repair everything if Honda from US can send you the spare parts that you need.

If i were you, i would look at ebay and would ask for sending to Russia.

And if it helps you, I've heard that it is not very difficult to make the used parts pass into the country, but here in Argentina, custom fees are very expensive (almost a half of the declared price of the item), i hope that it could be easier in Russia, wish you luck with that!
If parts can be delivered from the US to Argentina, why not to Russia?

Well, that's all for now.
Luck with your little monster!
Greetings from Argentina!

PD: Gorgeus Jawa! Here we have the 350cc Style (the bike is the same to yours, with disk brake and different fairings)
Leo.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #83
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hi Ivan!

I'm impressed with all that work, I realize that here in Argentina we didn't get any XR 500 or 350, they are both beautiful machines, and i guess that they are very powerful too.

I'm sure that you'll get that bike running in a very short period of time, you'll see..
And I think that it'll be easier to repair everything if Honda from US can send you the spare parts that you need.

If i were you, i would look at ebay and would ask for sending to Russia.

And if it helps you, I've heard that it is not very difficult to make the used parts pass into the country, but here in Argentina, custom fees are very expensive (almost a half of the declared price of the item), i hope that it could be easier in Russia, wish you luck with that!
If parts can be delivered from the US to Argentina, why not to Russia?

Well, that's all for now.
Luck with your little monster!
Greetings from Argentina!

PD: Gorgeus Jawa! Here we have the 350cc Style (the bike is the same to yours, with disk brake and different fairings)
Hi Leo!
Thank you for your support!
I can receive international parcels up to 30kg. and the total cost of 1000 euros in one month without customs duty.
Java still afloat and make those 350 bikes as before.
They have changed little, it's great and amazing..
Greetings from Russia!!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #84
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Hi guys!
My motor is split (completely dismantled).
I did not have the flywheel puller to remove the flywheel / rotor (Thanks for the tip Ghost_Mutant), and I had to make it out of a large bolt.
It was hard, my lathe is very old and badly cut into small carving tool.
But they gave me a lease die cuts and everything turned out.
The flywheel came very easily.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #85
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

I finished disassembling my engine (hit bottom in the work and time to be selected at the top), and now I'm doing a full list of parts I need.
My transmission (gear) are in good shape, it's very good news.
Found CAUSE DAMAGE TO CYLINDER AND PISTON (scratches).
It was the sand !!!!! his lot in the crankcase ventilation chamber! "It's a shame, the piston and cylinder are almost new.
Everything will be change.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #86
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

I want to order a new cylinder for my Xr500r (12101-MN9-800) or a new sleeve. Can I install a new set of piston Wiseco (or JE) without additional mechanical processing (obtaining clearances and cross the grid) to a new cylinder (sleeve)? Or should I always go to a machine shop to fit the cylinder under the piston?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #87
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
I want to order a new cylinder for my Xr500r (12101-MN9-800) or a new sleeve. Can I install a new set of piston Wiseco (or JE) without additional mechanical processing (obtaining clearances and cross the grid) to a new cylinder (sleeve)? Or should I always go to a machine shop to fit the cylinder under the piston?

Don't know about machining a new cylinder or sleeve. Perhaps someone can tell us how a new cylinder or sleeve comes in the box?

Did you look very close at the transmission gears and engagement dogs?

The wear can be hard to see. Replacing any worn parts is easier now that you have things apart

Here is that photo of my worn out 83 XR500 transmission:

Note the bevel in the engagement dogs for the top left gears. In your photo, this is hard to see from the photo looking down the output shaft.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #88
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

HELLO GUYS!
I had the opportunity to work with my bike today!!
I had a great break from work. But I learned a lot on the computer and manual partslists. It gave a lot of interesting information. I opened an account on ebay and did the first two purchases!!
Now I'm expecting a parcel from the cylinder and the transmission (output shaft) for my bike.
Here are pictures of my transmission. Looks good I think.
Your opinion guys?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #89
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

Have a question!
Can I use a gasket on the crankcase 85 xr600r (11191-MN1-700) for xr500r?
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #90
Ivanych OP
Ivanych

next photo
Attached Images