User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I finally got one!!

Okay, since I've been serial lurking for about a year now I'd say this is way overdue. I've wanted a hack for the better part of two years now, but kept having trouble justifying the money to "try it out". I've even talked to some manufacturers (Claude most recently) about putting a car on my Ninja 500 because I love my bike and want to keep it around forever. (not that that makes a great tug but I digress..) I fully understand that the best way to start out would be to get a pre-built setup and try it out, but I still wanted to try my current bike. So, in the searches through ebay, craigslist, and every other market I could find I finally came across a car within my driving limits for less than a grand. The seller gave me one stipulation-I had to take the bike too. (cue jaw-dropping sound) All I could get was "Goldwing" and "sidecar". I figured it was well worth a look and pulled into his drive to find an 87 Goldwing Interstate attatched to a California sidecar. No, it wasn't my cool idea of a do-it-all adventure midsized hack on my trusty 500, but for a negotiated price of 900 bucks loaded on the trailer I really didn't think I could go wrong. ( I now half expect to hear how California Sidecars spontaneously combust or magically fly apart as this is one of the brands I haven't done much research on) I apologize if I sound like I'm bragging, but I felt like I got a pretty good deal on getting my foot in the door, and I figured you guys could appreciate my elation
Now, HERE'S the disclaimer... The hack was fairly clean (I think it's a Friendship, not sure what generation yet) but the bike is a complete TURD..Here's the car-
Attached Images

supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Thumb

I think AceRalph had one of those strapped to a FJ1200...
go ahead show us the turd.

Don in Nipomo
D.Bachtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No major cracks in the glass or shield and the hack frame had some surface rust but still feels solid, I figure nothing some brushing/blasting and some Krylon can't fix. The bike on the other hand, looks like it sat in a field for the last ten years (until yesterday when it got pushed into a garage maybe?!?) Corrosion everywhere, a wide variety of dead insects and previous owner says the guy HE got it from parked it when it quit running around ten years ago. Looks like poop, but there's an upside- about two hours of JC Whitney accessory removal, a little patience and a hot battery provided me with the sound of a running opposed four this afternoon. Also found out (I believe) why it quit running, moving the harness around between the right handlebar switch assembly and the ignition key effectively turns the bike on and off... I THINK with some minor wire repair, and a thoroughly cleaned fuel system I'm gonna have a pretty good running bike. Here it is as delivered-
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
supermotosean OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Again, not what I planned on building, but for what I was willing to pay for the hack I ended up with the tug and all the mounting equipment too. It was all assembled until I took it home, dang thing wouldn't fit through the Uhaul trailer gate . I expect this to take a little while to get going, but at least all I have to do now is maintenance stuff, a fabricator I am not! Now, I'll quit lurking and try to keep you guys supplied with moderate intervals of progress pics!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Wow. Get out the pressure washer and clean her up! Maybe sort out a few of those rat nests while you're at it. Good deal! Could be nice!

Don in Nipomo
Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,372
I think you got a steal. Down in NC, I see used Goldwings going in simlar condition for $1200+ without the hack. I love that opposed four engine too. I've always wanted to put one in a chop myself, hence the reason I'm always looking for an old G'wing with a title.

On the flip side, I don't know squat about hacks. I'm here to learn too. But I think for $900, you're going to have a lot of fun.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
congrats on the acquisition
a great deal
love this thread
appreciate that you shared with us
can't wait to watch this all unfold
good luck
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #8
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,369
Nine hundred bucks?!

That was a heck of a bargain.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Triumph Rider
When is retirement

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermotosean View Post
Again, not what I planned on building, but for what I was willing to pay for the hack I ended up with the tug and all the mounting equipment too. It was all assembled until I took it home, dang thing wouldn't fit through the Uhaul trailer gate . I expect this to take a little while to get going, but at least all I have to do now is maintenance stuff, a fabricator I am not! Now, I'll quit lurking and try to keep you guys supplied with moderate intervals of progress pics!

Alright... and now that it runs.... you have something to work with and spend sometime on riding not fabricating... you can have the hack of your day dreams, plus it can tow the 500 around not a bad choice
Triumph Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Not a big Wing fan myself. I would part out the wing and mount the hack to a recent Triumph Bonnie or /7 BMW.

That's just me, I like the old school look.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Looking forward to seeing photos of the roll out.
Get that Wing going on 3 wheels!

Don in Nipomo
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #12
D.Bachtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,167
Can't believe that's the same rig as in the other pictures.

--chiba

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
LOL.

That (the "rat-wing") is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, both in a hack and as a touring bike.

Having a bike with faded paint and "patina" while still being mechanically perfect appeals to my sensibilities (or lack there of). Good theft deterent too!

Keep them both together and don't do anything but get it running right. No paint, no "upgrades", you aren't ever going to get your money back if you do.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
bmhappy
sandbagger

Oddometer: 6
Wicked a "FRIEND" has one

don't know for sure, but an 81 goldwing with a terriplane sidecar is always in my way when working on my rig @ "FRIENDS" house. he has mentioned many time about "getting rid" of it ......... but didnt believe anyone would want to take on a project, time and $ needed to put it back together again........... in many boxes but all parts are there i can check further and take pictures if there is and interest !!!!
bmhappy is offline   Reply With Quote