User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
polar8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
How would you restore this '85 CB700?

Got this bike on Craigslist and after a carb cleaning she was running great. I have some free time this summer and I'd really like to make it look nice again. It's rough, but everything is in good shape (owner just put a new seat on it) and there are only a few things to replace.

If this was your bike, what would you do to it? I was thinking of blacking out the engine completely, and repainting the tank in the original red/black color scheme. Then adding straight bars and a round headlight up front, as the stock gauges and headlamp are really beat up.

Thanks for the advice!

polar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Just Ride it for now. Its the summer after all. Put some bags on it and take a trip.

In the winter, I like your idea. Clean it up a bit, make the tank look nice, black out the engine. While doing that, do an inspection on the engine to make sure everything is in good order. Might as well, since you will have the engine out. Bead blast, sand, fill, and paint the scuffed up engine covers.

Maybe pick up a cluster and light from an old CB750. They look pretty good. Upgrade to an H4 light. Check the electrical system, they can be a weak spot on old Japanese bikes (or any old bike for that matter)
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,215
I wouldn't restore it. Just make it reliable and turn it into a mad max rat bike. It's halfway there.
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
south
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Well, first off, if it was me, I wouldn't do anything with it for awhile 'cause it'd be at the back of the project line, but my plan would go like this:

First, source replacements for the missing bodywork--side covers, tail, headlight nacelle (perhaps not OEM, maybe graft something else that looks good), etc.--from ebay, local junkyard, wherever. Paint it to suit your fancy.

Next, speaking of paint: less is more--no paint for the engine, etc. Painting aluminum, especially oxidized aluminum, ain't what I'd call a "long-term" solution. Rather, take advantage of the fact that big chunks of the bike are aluminum; I'd strip, sand, and polish every (aluminum) bit of the thing I could. Not only will it look great, but it's cheap, requires no special skill (just some time and effort), and it's low-maintenance from there on out--just a quick freshen-up wipe with some metal polish now and again will have the stuff right back to full bright. Do the valve cover, the engine side-covers (clutch and gen), fork lowers, rear brake drum/drive hub, brake and clutch MCs, perhaps the front calipers, etc. Ideally, I'd pull the engine and media--i.e., "sand"--blast it. If you have access to compressed air, hobby media/sand blasters sufficient to do the job can be purchased for well under $100, and they can be very handy things to have--just be sure to seal up the motor real good before blasting.

Along with all that, give it a good cleaning/detailing, replace the 25yo front brake lines with some braided stainless lines (new fluid is a given) and mount up some decent (new) tires.

Of course, if it was me, ultimately, most of all, I'd want to restore the missing 50ccs.
south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,764
First thing....valve adjustment

Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
First thing....valve adjustment

No need with the CB700, aka Nighthawk S, all hydraulic.

Restored to original, the bike is worth a lot more. Clean examples, even with high miles bring $3000+. The model was only offered for three years, 1984-1986.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
polar8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
Next, speaking of paint: less is more--no paint for the engine, etc. Painting aluminum, especially oxidized aluminum, ain't what I'd call a "long-term" solution. Rather, take advantage of the fact that big chunks of the bike are aluminum; I'd strip, sand, and polish every (aluminum) bit of the thing I could. Not only will it look great, but it's cheap, requires no special skill (just some time and effort), and it's low-maintenance from there on out--just a quick freshen-up wipe with some metal polish now and again will have the stuff right back to full bright. Do the valve cover, the engine side-covers (clutch and gen), fork lowers, rear brake drum/drive hub, brake and clutch MCs, perhaps the front calipers, etc. Ideally, I'd pull the engine and media--i.e., "sand"--blast it. If you have access to compressed air, hobby media/sand blasters sufficient to do the job can be purchased for well under $100, and they can be very handy things to have--just be sure to seal up the motor real good before blasting.
I don't have any blasting equipment, so I'd probably have the blasting done by a local shop. I take it using aircraft stripper on the engine fins isn't as easy as with flat surfaces, but is it possible to do it that way?
polar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
No need with the CB700, aka Nighthawk S, all hydraulic.

Restored to original, the bike is worth a lot more. Clean examples, even with high miles bring $3000+. The model was only offered for three years, 1984-1986.

-Joe
Sorry, just trying to be funny!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
The only problem I can see is getting hold of the proper body work.
Don't hate me, but as much as I like those bikes in stock condition, a really nice paint job and switchng to a round HL kind of appeals to me-
Old 04-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,382
Fab your own sidecovers from leagaly harvested free-range road signs.
No paint unless it's matt black. Round headlight will be O.K. , go for one of the 9' jobbies from a GS Suzuki or early 80's Yamaha.
Build a luggage rack to cover the space behind the seat. Preferably with a hidden stash box.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,059
Unlike lots of folks I don't hold these bikes in very high regard
Heavy, slow, shaft drive, wonky handling, and styling that's not quite sportbike UJM and not quite UJC

Personally I'd get some side covers and tail cowl for it.
Source up a round headlight, ditch the monster instrument panel

Slap a decent rattle can paint job and ride the snot out of it.

Years a ago I bought one from the son of some bigwig at Honda R&D

Low miles great shape, and I was very happy to have sold that bike.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
Got this bike on Craigslist and after a carb cleaning she was running great. I have some free time this summer and I'd really like to make it look nice again. It's rough, but everything is in good shape (owner just put a new seat on it) and there are only a few things to replace.

If this was your bike, what would you do to it? I was thinking of blacking out the engine completely, and repainting the tank in the original red/black color scheme. Then adding straight bars and a round headlight up front, as the stock gauges and headlamp are really beat up.

Thanks for the advice!

Do not turn this bike into a money pit! It will never be worth much, even if you do a concours restoration. Get it running, and treat it like a car, just run it.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Do not turn this bike into a money pit! It will never be worth much, even if you do a concours restoration. Get it running, and treat it like a car, just run it.

Steve
agreed. i see nice original, low mileage examples locally advertised for under $2k.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #14
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I can't think of why anyone would unless it had some special meaning. I would get it running and maybe do little things to fix it up. When you pull a tank and side covers paint is cheap enough, but to do a full resto? I don't see it
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
Kurt V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I'd worry about the mechanics before the cosmetics. First off change that brake fluid. Looks brown in the reservoir.
1976 Honda CB400F Original Survivor
1973 Honda CL350
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote