ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #136
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 332
Yes! Attack Cockapoos,

Arrowhead, nice to see you, too bad about that big rip in your leathers. That will teach you to harass my 3 month old puppy
tommymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #137
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Hi everyone! Hope memorial weekend was good to all. Who wants to do some riding this coming weekend? friday,saturday or sunday. Also just want to through this out. If anyone has vacation in july I am leaving the 5th of july for a 12 day trip out East. Ontario,Quebec,Maine,New York,Pennsylvania, Down to North Caralina,Tennesee, Up to Missouri and home. Plan on hitting Acadia,catskills,adirondacks,pennsylvania dutch,tail of the dragon and the ozarks. Probally do both hotels and camping. If anyone is interested let me know.
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #138
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,237
I went out for a ride yesterday (last minute decision or I would have asked if anyone else could come). I ran north & west of Two Harbors, riding mostly dirt roads and logging roads. It was an exploration voyage of sorts, looking for connections through the woods (trying to verify what's on the maps) and/or fun spur routes. I did run into a lot of dead ends - typical of logging roads, and also passed lots of trails I didn't even start down. Put in about 80 miles total.

I did find some interesting and fun spots though. One sand pit straddling a dead end dirt road with some mild climbs and such, so I played there a while. That was fun - haven't had myself or this bike in the sand since I've got it. The golden rule of sand riding came back quick though - wide open throttle and rear wheel speed!

Off one of the woods trails, I saw this guy. It was very curious, which is pretty atypical compared to the others I've seen in my life - usually they go hide at the sight of a person. It did slap its tail a bunch of times, but rather than hiding it just kept swimming back and forth checking me out. Maybe it didn't connect the sight of a motorbike & rider to danger.
Attached Images

Lutz screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 12:39 PM
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #139
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like you had fun. you will have to tell me where you went next time we ride. I also took an impromptu ride with my 6 year old on saturday. We spent more than an hour exploring the westover road hoping to find a connection to the laine road or back to the drummond. I believe it might make it to the drummond but being one bike with my son with I didn't want to push it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #140
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Yeah, it was fun for sure. Basically, I spent a few hours riding the roads and spurs off of Drummond/Alger/Westover. Over on the East Alger side, I saw signs of another dirtbiker not far in front of me timewise, but we never crossed paths at the same time.

Among other things, I was looking for a connection from the Westover back to the Old Drummond road as well. Is the Laine Rd on the St. Louis Co. side? I rode a few logging spurs in that direction to total dead ends. I'm sure the connection from the Westover to the Drummond exists...it's on the map, and the ATVs are running in there - I'm sure you know the exact place I'm talking about. I'm just not sure what the terrain is like in the middle...could be a fairly easy ride, or could be deep mud...I stopped at the first water crossing, because I didn't want to risk wet feet, as wussy as that may sound (yes, I just plain wussed out ).

I may be up for a ride this weekend, Saturday or Sunday. Will have to play it by ear and run it by my event coordinator. Actually, I might have to work from the sounds of it...possibly an excuse to trail ride on the way there/back.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 AM   #141
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 713
Sat ride

I'm up for a ride. I don't see anything on the calender for Saturday. Do you have anything in mind?

I still want to finish a ride that Arrowhead and I started earlier this spring. I'd like to get to the Pigeon River overlook on the Reservation, plus continue on to the old border crossing. Maybe even walk in to Pigeon Falls, or ride if it's legal.

An option is to ride up the Gunflint to the Greenwood Road, then take the logging roads above the South Brule River towards Camp 20 Road and Tom Lake. From there head to the Arrowhead Trail and east towards the Reservation.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #142
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Talking about longer trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
If anyone has vacation in july I am leaving the 5th of july for a 12 day trip...
On the same note of trips, I want to get back for a second trip to Mexico this Sept or Oct. So far I'm solo, and I do prefer to ride with someone. My wife actually told me she prefers that too.

What I have in mind is a return for me to Creel and Copper Canyon. I want to ride from Creel down to Urique in the canyon, then take the "new road" to Batopilas. It's gravel to/in the canyon, with a river crossing near Urique as I understand. After Batopilas, up the canyon and east to the Gulf of Mexico and return to the States. Should be about a week in Mexico. I am working on getting some gps tracks from other friends who rode the "new road" earlier this year.

Here's a link to some pictures from my first trip to the canyon. The pictures do absolutely no justice to the stunning scenery when there in person: http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Creel%202010/

I did the Bato trip last year with 3 others, and crossed at Presidio, TX. It's a small crossing and no hassles. I trucked part way down, and if going solo I want to avoid that expense this time. Consequently the Sept/Oct dates in order to ride from here. The cost of trucking was more than all the time in Mexico. Copper Canyon is absolutely stunning, and I expect the ride from Creel and east to the Gulf will be nice through the mountains.

Trucking part way is an option, if costs can be shared.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #143
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I went out for a ride yesterday (last minute decision or I would have asked if anyone else could come). I ran north & west of Two Harbors, riding mostly dirt roads and logging roads. It was an exploration voyage of sorts, looking for connections through the woods (trying to verify what's on the maps) and/or fun spur routes. I did run into a lot of dead ends - typical of logging roads, and also passed lots of trails I didn't even start down. Put in about 80 miles total.

I did find some interesting and fun spots though. One sand pit straddling a dead end dirt road with some mild climbs and such, so I played there a while. That was fun - haven't had myself or this bike in the sand since I've got it. The golden rule of sand riding came back quick though - wide open throttle and rear wheel speed!

Off one of the woods trails, I saw this guy. It was very curious, which is pretty atypical compared to the others I've seen in my life - usually they go hide at the sight of a person. It did slap its tail a bunch of times, but rather than hiding it just kept swimming back and forth checking me out. Maybe it didn't connect the sight of a motorbike & rider to danger.
My deer stand is near a pond and I was sitting there half asleep when it sounded like someone through a 50 pound rock in the water,damn near fell out if my stand.
It was a beaver slapping his tail on the water-loud.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #144
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Mike S- Your route for saturday sounds fun. And the weather looks good! I'm in!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #145
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
My deer stand is near a pond and I was sitting there half asleep when it sounded like someone through a 50 pound rock in the water,damn near fell out if my stand.
It was a beaver slapping his tail on the water-loud.
Canoeing the Cloquet River after midnight on a very remote section when we thought someone was throwing rocks at us. Very nerve racking when you can't see anything! We figured out later it must have been a beaver or two.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #146
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Saturday ride

Quote:
Mike S- Your route for saturday sounds fun. And the weather looks good! I'm in!
So how about 10AM meet at World's Best Donuts in downtown Grand Marais, then head out after nutrition and coffee? I'm going to bring a sandwich, because there isn't much opportunity for lunch until we get back to the Shore. This route should put us on the Shore at Portage I suspect, via Mineral Center. The black flies are out up the hill, so hopefully I'll remember to grab some bug dope, or else we won't want to stop.

I like good weather. I was south last weekend on the RT, and hit big winds/rain along the IA/WI border on Saturday, then rain from Carlton to home on Sunday morning. I'm ready for a day of sun.

All others welcome!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #147
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
So how about 10AM meet at World's Best Donuts in downtown Grand Marais, then head out after nutrition and coffee? I'm going to bring a sandwich, because there isn't much opportunity for lunch until we get back to the Shore. This route should put us on the Shore at Portage I suspect, via Mineral Center. The black flies are out up the hill, so hopefully I'll remember to grab some bug dope, or else we won't want to stop.

I like good weather. I was south last weekend on the RT, and hit big winds/rain along the IA/WI border on Saturday, then rain from Carlton to home on Sunday morning. I'm ready for a day of sun.

All others welcome!
I can do earlier than that if you want. My daughter and I will be riding up friday afternoon so saturday morning I will only have to go 10 miles. your call.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #148
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

I'd really like to come along, but I've got to work this weekend. Drats.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #149
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I'd really like to come along, but I've got to work this weekend. Drats.
Where are your priorities my friend! Would have been fun to have you with. Especially through the tough spots!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #150
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Where are your priorities my friend! Would have been fun to have you with. Especially through the tough spots!
I know, I know. I'm ashamed of myself. I'll make up for it someday, someway.

By the way, if you haven't been through there, they've got Hwy 61 torn up at Splitrock again, down to one lane with delays. It will probably be best to bypass via Co Rd 3 and Co Rd 4. Looks like they're prepping to tie the new section of road in to the old, then pave.

Have a great ride.