ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #1801
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post

Looks like a more entertaining way to get cold than what I did today. Lets say it was a slow day for me on the deer stand.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1802
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Looks like a more entertaining way to get cold than what I did today. Lets say it was a slow day for me on the deer stand.

It was quite pleasant when we were out..The cold was kept at bay by the fun we were having I guess..
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #1803
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,187
Here are some more pictures and the route from yesterday's ride. I was taking some timelapse pictures of the whole route, but once again my camera was pointing too low and all I got was the gravel and a few trees on the side of the roads. Oh well, next time...

C-Zulu saw motorcyclists on the Tri County trail last time he was in the area, so we decided to check it out for ourselves. The trail put us in the vicinity of the Delta Diner, we don't need much of an excuse to hit up the diner and grab some pie. We knew we were going to be in for a pretty cold ride, so I layered up, by mid afternoon the temps weren't too bad in Wisconsin and neither of us were cold. When we left Silver Bay it was snowing, so we "trailer'ed" our steeds to Superior.

As Ted expected, the Tri County trail took is right to Iron River where we were able to snake down to Delta Diner on a combination of pavement and really fun-hilly-sideways gravel roads. We had to stop once to tighten my new chain, it seems to have stretch a bit after I put it on. Fortunately, Ted had his tools with him because I had nothing but my pocket knife and good looks to get the job done. This was the first trip I've taken on my new-to-me BRP. It performed really well. I have a few issues I need to fix, but I expected some teething troubles on any new-to-me bike. It was nice knowing my truck was only 50 miles away incase something did breakdown. Fortunately, that wasn't needed!

Just before leaving the Delta Diner, C-zulu noticed a dirt road right across from the Delta Diner! Let's take it! It appeared to head north, so the plan was to ride up to highway 2, then ride HW2 east until we found a place to get back on the Tri County trail. The plan went well, we made it to highway 2, but we both noticed a 2 track trail that ran parallel to highway 2 (shown in red highlight on the map below). It was perfect!!! We were able to parallel highway 2 back to the Tri County trail, making a complete dirt route from Superior to the Delta Diner!

Just after my GoPro clicked this picture, C-Zulu yelled at me in his best Hulk Hogan voice, "You can't handle this brother! " Then, he rudely tore off leaving me in a rooster tail of Wisconsin.

Here are some more shots of the section highlighted in red above. This was the 2 track that paralleled highway 2 back to the Tri County Trail intersection.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 06:52 AM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #1804
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Great pix guys,cool your still offroad riding.
Whats a BRP?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #1805
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

The nick-name for the XR650R. Big Red Pig.

Last winter I didn't really have a bike for it, this year, I might have to stud up some tires and give the Cramer Rd a try on the BRP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
Great pix guys,cool your still offroad riding.
Whats a BRP?

jwalters screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 09:32 AM
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #1806
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536

just north of the diner there is a paved side road signed"scenic"...its a not very long, but its a sweet little road. Every time I am in the area I run it.....Just a heads up for you's about it. Riding season is coming to a close soon....
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1807
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Just before leaving the Delta Diner, C-zulu noticed a dirt road right across from the Delta Diner! Let's take it! It appeared to head north, so the plan was to ride up to highway 2, then ride HW2 east until we found a place to get back on the Tri County trail. The plan went well, we made it to highway 2, but we both noticed a 2 track trail that ran parallel to highway 2 (shown in red highlight on the map below). It was perfect!!! We were able to parallel highway 2 back to the Tri County trail, making a complete dirt route from Superior to the Delta Diner!

Here are some more shots of the section highlighted in red above. This was the 2 track that paralleled highway 2 back to the Tri County Trail intersection.

Hi Jesse! Just a heads-up on that highlighted section of two track. That piece is not open to motorized use according to the USFS motor vehicle use maps. I also cross checked the official county highway map. I can see from your photos why it would appear to be open. Would have fooled me (without references) too. Maybe it is some kind of maintenance route for a utility?

Just passing this along so no one includes this in a route that might get someone in trouble.

Looks like you guys had a great ride!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1808
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

First off, that's a bummer to hear that isn't a motorcycle approved trail! But there are plenty of other great backroads in the area that will connect to the Tri County trail, so no biggie. And secondly, thanks for the heads up Bryan. We all have to be good motorcycle stewards these days as trails are getting shutdown left and right. For the record, it is/was a very well used trail, someone is keeping it in decent shape. Unfortunately, there were no signs posted at all, so it's hard to know what's what without a map.

Thanks again Bryan..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Hi Jesse! Just a heads-up on that highlighted section of two track. That piece is not open to motorized use according to the USFS motor vehicle use maps. I also cross checked the official county highway map. I can see from your photos why it would appear to be open. Would have fooled me (without references) too. Maybe it is some kind of maintenance route for a utility?

Just passing this along so no one includes this in a route that might get someone in trouble.

Looks like you guys had a great ride!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #1809
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post

just north of the diner there is a paved side road signed"scenic"...its a not very long, but its a sweet little road. Every time I am in the area I run it.....Just a heads up for you's about it. Riding season is coming to a close soon....

Yes, I've been on this road you speak of. Hart Lk rd is also nice, especially in the autumn.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #1810
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Quote:

Just after my GoPro clicked this picture, C-Zulu yelled at me in his best Hulk Hogan voice, "You can't handle this brother! " Then, he rudely tore off leaving me in a rooster tail of Wisconsin.

Ha, not me, I tread lightly when I ride...

Well as lite as you can riding that beast..

c-zulu screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 09:45 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #1811
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Hi Guys. I picked up the Trans Am Trail DVD by the guys who made the routes/maps. It would make a good candidate for a movie night this winter on the big screen in my garage. We'll have to pick a date sometime in January or February!

I hope everyone is staying dry this weekend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

jwalters screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 08:19 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #1812
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 332
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #1813
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Quote:
Hi Guys. I picked up the http://www.transamtrail.com/about/Trans Am Trail DVD by the guys who made the routes/maps. It would make a good candidate for a movie night this winter on the big screen in my garage. We'll have to pick a date sometime in January or February!

I hope everyone is staying dry this weekend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1814
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 834
Saturday was a beautiful day, 65 degrees down by Lake City. Tbickner and his KLR found me at Meadow Valley motocross track, really the only place to ride during deer hunting season. I had already trailered my WR250F down and paid my 30 dollars to ride the track. But fear had kept me on the sidelines for the last hour watching the experts effortlessly FLY around the track. It didn't help the Meadow Valley was the only track open on Nov. 10th. The place was packed. So with Tbickner there encouraging me with words of, "remember your family is depending on you" and "your a little nuts," I finally got the courage to go out on the track. It helped that as the sun was setting the majority of the crowd had left.

It may look like I'm catching major air, but everyone else was gracefully clearing this table top.

I totally flew by the kawasaki (the rider was maybe 8 years old).

This jump always felt good.

Today I'm a little sore. I bottomed out my suspension too many times. A motocross bike would help a little and some skill would help a lot. I'm definately going to try it again next year, but I'm going to go on a day when the weather is lousy to avoid the crowd. I guess Saturday was the busiest day of the whole year.
I'm not going to be a motocrosser but it was fun. The skill is different. The track is groomed so there's no big rock or fallen trees to throw you off course. Its the jumps and turns and the competition that is the challenge. I didn't see anyone fall or wipe out on the track. They do have a steep rocky hill for hill climbs that I tried three times to get up but couldn't and fell trying. I even had a hard time going down it.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1815
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,241
Looks like a lot of fun, Todd! Really makes me itch to get a hard edged dirtbike again.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote