ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #1861
toadl
toadl
 
toadl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbickner View Post
Lots of fun. The terrain at Nemadji is pretty gentle and the single track that we rode was well maintained and in 2-4 inches of snow, very rideable. We only had to move one log.

Thanks for sharing the experience Todd. I'd recommend the ride for anyone with a love of bikes in the off-road.

Tom
Well, I finally figured out how to get the pictures off my phone and onto a SD card. Yes, I'm technically challenged.

After a few miles of single track the jacket came off. Even still, my shirt and helmet were soaked with sweat. Not bad considering the temps were in the 30's.

The deer that Lutz wants to shoot do a good job of keeping the single track clear of snow.


I tried to get a picture of Tbickner struggling to get through this frozen mud that was heavily rudded from ATV's, unfortunately Tbickner kind of effortlessly rode right through it before I could get a good picture.


You can see the ATV's mixed the snow and dirt which helped us get some traction.
__________________
M&M's don't know anything and have no meaning.

toadl screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 08:16 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #1862
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,197
You guys are pretty hard core!! I see that and I think sled

Good shots!
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #1863
MikeS
For sure let's do it
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: South of the Border in MN
Oddometer: 750
Recuerdos de Mexico

Memories from Mexico, a recent compilation of pictures from my Copper Canyon trip last spring. I wasn't the only one who fell down, a lot, and unlike some others, I never fell down when it was critical to stay vertical; like in a river, or when going up a steep rock garden with another rider close behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMjl...ature=youtu.be
__________________
R1150RT, F650GS thumper, KL250
BMW: "Beer, Motorcycles, Women"

MikeS screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 05:37 AM Reason: Bad reading comprehension
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #1864
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator
 
jwalters's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Little Marais, MN
Oddometer: 2,246
There you go!




After watching this video (3 times) it goes to show just how remarkable dual sport bikes are. As if we need a reminder, but to ride thousands of miles from Northern Minnesota to Mexico and then ride those technical roads near Copper Canyon on the same vehicle is pretty amazing. Not too many four wheeled vehicle could accomplish that feat (especially at 30+mpg).


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Memories from Mexico, a recent compilation of pictures from my Copper Canyon trip last spring. I wasn't the only one who fell down, a lot, and unlike some others, I never fell down when it was critical to stay vertical; like in a river, or when going up a steep rock garden with another rider close behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMjl...ature=youtu.be
__________________
See you at the Minnesota North Shore Shindig 2014 10-13 July (Finland, MN)

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #1865
Lappeman
He's Down Again!
 
Lappeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
Oddometer: 2,197
Great photo video guys, looked like a nice trip!! Boy that guy on the yellow BMW fell down a lot... he's going to have to come back up here to Canada again and we'll show him some new tricks
__________________
Lappeman
Photos http://s891.photobucket.com/profile/Lappeman
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB-w...7m3yBQA/videos
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #1866
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner
 
c-zulu's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North shore of Gitchigumi
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Memories from Mexico, a recent compilation of pictures from my Copper Canyon trip last spring. I wasn't the only one who fell down, a lot, and unlike some others, I never fell down when it was critical to stay vertical; like in a river, or when going up a steep rock garden with another rider close behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMjl...ature=youtu.be

Very nice Mike,even recognized some Cannontrek Alumni in those pics..
__________________
Current Rides:
HONDA CRF450X---BUELL XB12X
KTM 950 SER---KTM 950 ADV S---KTM 690 ER
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #1867
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,358
Yeah, Mike, I enjoyed those pics too. Looks like a worthy destination with worthy company, the kinds of things good memories are made of.
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #1868
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KTMSAM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: within sight of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 123
Great pictures, looks like you guys had a bunch of fun! Next year I want to join in on as many meets and rides as possible. I have lived between Duluth and Babbitt all my life, but I have never really explored the hundreds of back roads and trails that are right outside our doors. I'm relatively new to dirt, so any pointers along the way are certainly appreciated also.

Here's my new love:
Photobucket
__________________
"KTM? Who makes that?"
KTMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1869
Hektoglider
One with Life
 
Hektoglider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lone Pine Ontario (or travelling)
Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post

Here's my new love:
F'n aye Rudy Perpich..........nice bike....
__________________
Ride Our World
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #1870
MikeS
For sure let's do it
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: South of the Border in MN
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
Great pictures, looks like you guys had a bunch of fun! Next year I want to join in on as many meets and rides as possible. I have lived between Duluth and Babbitt all my life, but I have never really explored the hundreds of back roads and trails that are right outside our doors. I'm relatively new to dirt, so any pointers along the way are certainly appreciated also.
Love your blue and orange girlfriend! No pointers needed. Just get it muddy and scratched up!

Keep track of this thread now and in spring especially. Lots of adventure addicted riders around here, and across the border in western Ontario. Lots of fun places to go too.

There's some fun riding south of Babbitt, and Arrowhead knows all the deep water crossings and the muddiest roads.

I need to get back north of the border and find the elusive road to the wind farm northeast of Thunder Bay, back in the bush. I have an Ontario guide in mind for the next attempt, to lead the way in to the unknown. I want to stand under one of those turbines and take a picture.
__________________
R1150RT, F650GS thumper, KL250
BMW: "Beer, Motorcycles, Women"
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #1871
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner
 
c-zulu's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: North shore of Gitchigumi
Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
Great pictures, looks like you guys had a bunch of fun! Next year I want to join in on as many meets and rides as possible. I have lived between Duluth and Babbitt all my life, but I have never really explored the hundreds of back roads and trails that are right outside our doors. I'm relatively new to dirt, so any pointers along the way are certainly appreciated also.

Here's my new love:
Photobucket

__________________
Current Rides:
HONDA CRF450X---BUELL XB12X
KTM 950 SER---KTM 950 ADV S---KTM 690 ER
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #1872
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KTMSAM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: within sight of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 123
I will definitely be checking this thread often throughout winter and definitely once my bike comes out of hibernation. Any riding of any dirt-like terrain sounds great to me. Sounds like I should pick up a passport next time I have a few extra bucks, I could be easily talked into a trip to Canada if a few others were going and the budget allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Love your blue and orange girlfriend! No pointers needed. Just get it muddy and scratched up!

Keep track of this thread now and in spring especially. Lots of adventure addicted riders around here, and across the border in western Ontario. Lots of fun places to go too.

There's some fun riding south of Babbitt, and Arrowhead knows all the deep water crossings and the muddiest roads.

I need to get back north of the border and find the elusive road to the wind farm northeast of Thunder Bay, back in the bush. I have an Ontario guide in mind for the next attempt, to lead the way in to the unknown. I want to stand under one of those turbines and take a picture.
__________________
"KTM? Who makes that?"
KTMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #1873
MikeS
For sure let's do it
 
MikeS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: South of the Border in MN
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
Sounds like I should pick up a passport next time I have a few extra bucks, I could be easily talked into a trip to Canada if a few others were going and the budget allowed
Definitely get a passport or passport card by spring. There are great bagels in Thunder Bay, at the Great Canadian Bagel Shop in the Inter City Mall. There are also a lot of fire towers to climb, and get to in the first place. Canada isn't expensive, just a tank of gas at Rydens, plus some colorful money for eats.
__________________
R1150RT, F650GS thumper, KL250
BMW: "Beer, Motorcycles, Women"
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #1874
toadl
toadl
 
toadl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
Great pictures, looks like you guys had a bunch of fun! Next year I want to join in on as many meets and rides as possible. I have lived between Duluth and Babbitt all my life, but I have never really explored the hundreds of back roads and trails that are right outside our doors. I'm relatively new to dirt, so any pointers along the way are certainly appreciated also.

Here's my new love:
Nice bike. Is it a dual-sport bike? Check out this youtube video before replying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zibj7KnjClk

If you get a chance, watch these videos from this guy in Central America, pretty funny. Another good one is, KLR falling down a lot."
__________________
M&M's don't know anything and have no meaning.

toadl screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:04 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1875
Lutz
Killer Rabbit
 
Lutz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North Shore of Lake Superior
Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Nice bike. Is it a dual-sport bike? Check out this youtube video before replying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zibj7KnjClk

If you get a chance, watch these videos from this guy in Central America, pretty funny. Another good one is, KLR falling down a lot."


Seriously though, that is another fine KTM. Looking forward to riding with you, KTMSAM.
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014