ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #31
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Anybody know how much snow and ice there is around the Fairbanks/Brimson area right now?

Rode in the area (a little north) last week and it looked mostly snow free. It was all clear at the 44/16 intersection and the lakes and ponds viewable from 16 were Ice free.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Rode in the area (a little north) last week and it looked mostly snow free. It was all clear at the 44/16 intersection and the lakes and ponds viewable from 16 were Ice free.
Thanks for the report. I think we're bringing bikes along, then, for camping in the area.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #33
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Have a donut for me at Worlds Best Donuts. Will be there all of July and some of August. As for the Java Moose, I really like their peach smoothies in summer. If you have still too much snow, head to Texas where the weather is excellent now. Different story in a couple months.
When were you heading to grand marais for the summer(assuming we have one!)? I noticed a few campers allready.- You were bringing a bike right?
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #34
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks MikeS for the tour. It was a very fun ride! I rode the grade home after the 5k and am thinking that would be a fun ride in a few weeks for anyone interested.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Thanks for the report. I think we're bringing bikes along, then, for camping in the area.
Let me suggest Bear Lake for your camping in Brimson. Very scenic and lots of riding available.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #36
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,218
I might be able to ride friday afternoon...if anyone is free, give a shout.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #37
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Let me suggest Bear Lake for your camping in Brimson. Very scenic and lots of riding available.
You're reading my mind. That's where we're headed. Scouted it last fall. Usually we head north from Grand Marais, but we're trying out different spots.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #38
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Thanks MikeS for the tour. It was a very fun ride! I rode the grade home after the 5k and am thinking that would be a fun ride in a few weeks for anyone interested.
Hope you had a fun 5k run on the Gunflint. I enjoyed our ride a lot.

Between Devil Track Lake Road and the Caribou Trail, how about a detour to the Murmur Creek Road or the Mark Lake Road? I believe the latter is pass-able, and maybe the former too. Never gone across either one, although I did some work on one of them off the Caribou way back when, and delivered some logs for a fisheries project on the Murmur Ck Rd recently. I can find out more information from friends if interested.

You can show me the Wanless Road cut off then too, and maybe have treats at Trestle Inn or Finland. Or meet at Finland or Isabella and ride east/south or whatever from there. What's your proposal, tour guide?

Another hair brained idea; Wisconsin sand in the Bird Sanctuary near Gordon, then eat at Delta Diner. I've never been to DD.

MikeS screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 07:54 PM
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #39
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 328
Murmur creek

5 days ago Murmur creek road was about a foot deep in snow. Maybe the rain helped but it is so shaded it's going to take a while.
Still haven't gotten my bike
tommymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymerle View Post
5 days ago Murmur creek road was about a foot deep in snow.
So is it the Murmur Creek Road that goes through? What about the Mark Lake Road? The east end of the Mark Lake Road is very nice, as far as I've ever been. Have you been through either/both of them ever (in summer conditions)?

I keep thinking I remember several folks telling me about taking a 4WD pickup through the Murmur Creek Road, and recalling, "you don't want to take a good truck through there because the brush hangs thick along the road." On a map, it looks easy to get disoriented just west of Babineau Corners if heading west.

Hurry up and get that bike! We need you as a tour guide for this one!!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #41
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 328
Murmur creek

Mike'
Murmur creek is easy when the snow melts and I've done it in my VW Beetle as well as by bike and pick up. A friend of mine lives on the east end of Deer Yard Lake so I take it often from the Caribou Trail. It can be pretty muddy as any of them are in the spring.
From Babenau's Corners it's well marked now with a road sign and some new gravel because last summer the DNR put in a new boat launch for Pike Lake from the south side.
Sold the MG today so the bike is soon.
tommymerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #42
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,212
Lots of good sounding ideas. I haven't been in the Arrowhead very long, so it's almost all uncharted territory to me. I want to discover it for sure.

I like the idea of riding the sand around Gordon. I grew up in Solon Springs, so I've ridden around there a lot on a dirt bike (which was always a little tough since WI is not particularly dirt bike friendly). A street legal bike certainly opens up a lot of opportunities.

I've also wanted to ride in the Nemadji Forest - I've hunted there a lot, but never had a bike there. There are a fair number of single track trails, logging roads, and dirt roads to ride there. The Straight Arrows put on an AMA enduro there every year.

Of course, until my bike is back together, it's all moot for me. I'm still waiting on parts. I'm supposed to get my package by Thursday afternoon. So maybe, just maybe I'll be rolling again this weekend.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 261
I've been following this thread and finally decided to post in.

I am living in the Twin Cities, but grew up in Duluth and am building a retirement home in Knife River. As a further connection for Lutz, my family has had a cabin west of Gordon and south of the dam for 75 years. Been there quite a few times and done a bit of riding.

Mike S. I believe I may have chatted with you once or twice on the BMWST board (Senty?) the rest of you FFs I don't yet know, but am looking forward to meeting.

So far the schedules don't work so well for me and I will be busy the rest of the year with the construction project, but I wanted to get my name out there so the rest of you guys know who I am.

I will keep checking this post. Happy Riding!
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #44
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
I might be able to ride friday afternoon...if anyone is free, give a shout.
What time were you thinking? I might be free from about 11 am till 6pm.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeup View Post
I've been following this thread and finally decided to post in.

I am living in the Twin Cities, but grew up in Duluth and am building a retirement home in Knife River. As a further connection for Lutz, my family has had a cabin west of Gordon and south of the dam for 75 years. Been there quite a few times and done a bit of riding.

Mike S. I believe I may have chatted with you once or twice on the BMWST board (Senty?) the rest of you FFs I don't yet know, but am looking forward to meeting.

So far the schedules don't work so well for me and I will be busy the rest of the year with the construction project, but I wanted to get my name out there so the rest of you guys know who I am.

I will keep checking this post. Happy Riding!
Send me a pm some time when you are working on your house. I'm 4 miles away.