ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #781
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
It WAS the black and yellow Kenny Roberts bumble-bee. But I've been transforming it over the years and so its in need of a paint job once I finish tinkering.

To date, I've swapped the front end to an R1 usd forks, R6 aluminum radiator, fz600 rear swing arm, gs500 cush drive paired with an sv650 rear rim and an r6 rear shock. All of this saved me 20 lbs, but the main reason I am doing this is to have modern tires and suspension bits on a street legal 2-smoke! It's an absolute riot on the streets!
I just saw the post regarding this bike over in the Some Assembly Required forum last night, now see this here, and I think I remember you mentioning it at the last Shindig... Very, very cool bike.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #782
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomore View Post
Nice pictures and bike award900, Im new here too. It looks like next year is going to be a good one for riding.

Arrowhead rider, I may be interested in a ride like you mentioned. How many miles a day do you average on a trip like that? I think Id need a little better seat to do anything over 300 miles a day, a larger gas tank wouldnt hurt either. Im new to the long-range travel, so Ill have a lot of questions.
Im also new to long range travel on a dual sport. My experience is long range travel on a street bike. I would guess 300 to 400 miles a day average with some days no doubt being less. I would agree though that a comfortable seat and some way to stretch your legs may be a high priority.
arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #783
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Im also new to long range travel on a dual sport. My experience is long range travel on a street bike. I would guess 300 to 400 miles a day average with some days no doubt being less. I would agree though that a comfortable seat and some way to stretch your legs may be a high priority.
I made a trip to northern Quebec last summer on my dual sport. Reminded me of the 1960's vintage BMW's I was riding back then, with handlebar fairing... My DS is not as plush as my modern street bike, but much more comfortable than I anticipated. I was able to push some miles a couple days. My stock seat is reasonable, and I supplimented it with beads and sheepskin, alternating back and forth. I have good wind protection, so the fatigue factor is minimal. I ran on a stock gas tank with about 200 miles range, plus extra 1 gallon strapped on the back "just in case".

Looks like there will have to be an early "shake down trip". I'm open to a weekend trip to the Sioux Lookout/Savant Lake area next summer, with camping gear. Madeline Island, and some sand roads in the Gordon area is appealing too, with Nemadji thrown in somewhere after the Delta Diner.

It seems to me that the new KLR fairing is a big improvement over typical DS wind protection. I had to do a bit of modification to my F650 in order to get the protection it appears that Jerry has on his stock KLR.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #784
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I ran on a stock gas tank with about 200 miles range, plus extra 1 gallon strapped on the back "just in case".

Looks like there will have to be an early "shake down trip". I'm open to a weekend trip to the Sioux Lookout/Savant Lake area next summer, with camping gear.

Mike go the distance and go all the way up to Windigo Lake, furthest point you can drive in the summer north in Ontario. There's also a ghost town up there that's deffinetly worth a stop. I ran my KLR out of gas about 30kms short of Pickle Lake on the return loop from Windigo . I was pushing it on a fully loaded KLR to make it back before dark. Ended up riding just over 1000kms the first day. I had a 1.25gal can with me and that worked out fine but you will have to carry enough gas to complete the 500km(300miles) loop from Pickle to Windigo and back. It's 300kms(180miles) from Igance to Pickle, a bit shorter from Sioux Lookout to Pickle.

But if you just want to go to Sioux Lookout, come to TBay and we'll ride the old Grand Trunk Rail line from Thunder Bay to Sioux Lookout. Gravel all the way
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #785
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
I did a couple of shorter trips on the KLR 2 summers ago and I found that if your stopping to see sights and take photos, I ran about 500km (300miles) to 600kms (360miles) a day. But if you ignore stuff to get to a certain destination, you can run 1000kms (600miles) easily a day but for me that's a hellava long day in a KLR seat...even a sargent seat for that matter. I found that putting my feet on the passenger pegs and leaning up against the tank bag was easier on me than putting my feet on the front crash bar pegs and leaning back. But there's some people out there that can ride forever and not get numbass Don't forget that I'm talking Canada's pathetic speed limits. Now in the States, you can get places quicker
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #786
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Oddometer: 204
Mike, I agree a shakedown ride is good idea. I did take a ride last summer from Two Harbors to Madeline Island and back to Two Harbors, so my long range riding experience is limited. I don't think it's 300 miles round trip, but it was a full day in the saddle. I also remember the last 10-15 miles going by a little faster than what the state of MN had posted. I was ready to get off and rest.

You also mention wind protection, which is something else I need to consider if I want to do any long range rides. Sitting out in the wind will dehydrate a guy pretty quick.

Lappeman brought up fuel range and I lack the range of the KLX by a fair amount. I can safely go 120 miles from stop to stop (unloaded), but to do that I have to stay under 55. In some cases the lack of range can be planned out, but still the WR is at a disadvantage. I may need to consider a larger fuel tank, or use the bike for what it was intended and someday get something more capable of long range.

John
Snomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #787
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Snomore, what is your highest, comfortable, cruising speed? That WR seat can't be much fun?
award900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #788
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

I would say 65 mph actual would be max cruise speed. That would be about a 72 mph speedo indicated. It never gets buzzy feeling, but you're starting to get into the throttle a bit after that point. At 60 indicated, which is 55 actual it doesn't work at all to hold that pace. You can still pass pretty quick at an indicated 60, but much faster than that and you have to be patient or stay put.

That seat is a bit punishing. Riding in tight areas it works well, but on long rides I'm moving all over the place. It feels like you're sitting on your tailbone after a while.

Snomore screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 07:14 PM
Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #789
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

Award900, how does the 650 Honda do? I imagine that spins a lot less RPM to keep moving, and that you still have quite a bit left over at highway speeds on hills and into the wind. I can hold speed going up hills in top gear, but passing on a steeper hill would be a 4th or 5 gear deal.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #790
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
I did a couple of shorter trips on the KLR 2 summers ago and I found that if your stopping to see sights and take photos, I ran about 500km (300miles) to 600kms (360miles) a day. But if you ignore stuff to get to a certain destination, you can run 1000kms (600miles) easily a day but for me that's a hellava long day in a KLR seat...even a sargent seat for that matter. I found that putting my feet on the passenger pegs and leaning up against the tank bag was easier on me than putting my feet on the front crash bar pegs and leaning back. But there's some people out there that can ride forever and not get numbass Don't forget that I'm talking Canada's pathetic speed limits. Now in the States, you can get places quicker
Thanks for the input. Hopefully we can hook up for a spring ride. How did your races go this fall?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #791
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
It will cruise at 70 on gravel, comfortably. I have seen 100 MPH on the speedo, down hill, wind at my back, full tuck.
award900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #792
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

The sargent seat sounds like a good answer to the stock WR seat. Thanks for the info Lappeman.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #793
Snomore
Northwoods Rider

That's moving right along on gravel. I usually keep it around 45-55 on gravel with a few short bursts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by award900 View Post
It will cruise at 70 on gravel, comfortably. I have seen 100 MPH on the speedo, down hill, wind at my back, full tuck.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #794
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Hopefully we can hook up for a spring ride. How did your races go this fall?
Not too bad but I kinda went downhill in the last few. I posted on northern ontario riders post a week or so ago about the last race.

In case anyone is interested http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...83099&page=302 Post 4524
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 05:16 PM
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #795
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Did anyone get out for a ride on Sunday? It sure was nice. I took mine about 4 miles just to run them a little. Would have loved to have gone farther if time.