ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #106
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
missile base
Attached Images

arrowhead rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #107
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,193
Very Cool fella's wish I could have been there. Lutz- looks like the tranny is shifting fine..

Thanks for taking Pics !!
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #108
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Peqwaun Lk rd?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #109
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #110
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

What road is the old Missle base located on?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #111
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

berquist- 2 miles from my house.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #112
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,158
I sure had a blast today...er, yesterday...

It felt really good to shake off some of the cobwebs on the trails and put my bike to use a little more in its element. ...And to not create any new broken parts - on me or the bike.

Thanks guys for being such good riding partners, and to arrowhead rider for being such a good guide. I'd do all that again anytime. Loved it.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #113
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
Great ride today! 120+miles. Good variety of terrain. Thanks to lutz for waiting for us occasionally on the trails! Thanks to MikeS for helping me get unstuck.-more than once! Everyone had the pleasure of dropping there bikes at least once! I hope you guys got more sympathy for your sore muscles at home than I did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
AND the real truth is that I dropped my bike in EXACTLY the same spot as Arrowhead, plus two more times, and also joined the "get stuck club". Both you guys left me in the dust/mud/ruts, so I have to thank you both for waiting for ME. Great fun; blacktop to gravel roads to skidder trails to ATV trails.

I don't ever bother saying anything about sore muscles to my wife, the ultra-marathoner/triathlete.

Pictures later, if I can figure out how to post them so others besides me can view them.
I really did enjoy the variety of terrain. Highway 61 on the way home, I had to tuck in tight to keep up speed, on account of the brisk headwind an my 250's lack of horsepower. ...In case you were wondering, MikeS.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to help you guys pick up your bikes from that magnetic rut. I got into a flow through there, stopped to tighten my mirror at the road, then thought, "hmm...I know they were closer than that." Once I did turn back, I saw the big blue KLR coming up the trail. Arrowhead rider told me about his crash, then after a couple minutes we were looking back and he said "hmm...I thought he was closer to me than that." So we turned back to check and then saw the big yellow FS coming up the trail. I think that rut and tree may have been magnetic, its just that my bike has the opposite polarity compared to yours.

I also had a blast on the ATV trail along Peqwaun Lake Road - and I appreciate you guys not going too fast on the pavement so that I could almost keep up! It sure did tire me out though.

I'm not sure I got any sympathy for sore muscles after I got home. I was, however, rewarded with the treat of removing an old clothesline post from the yard - a steel behemoth with deep root and a hook into the soil at the very bottom. Thank god for highlift jacks!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #114
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 261
Looks like fun! I am excited to have our home in Knife River done so I can meet up with you FFs. I'm going to have to get something more aggressive than the stock tires if I hope to get the 800gs through that kind of gumbo.

More information on the missile base, please.....PM me if you think its off topic. Thanks
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #115
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 677
Who needs agressive tires???

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeup View Post
I'm going to have to get something more aggressive than the stock tires if I hope to get the 800gs through that kind of gumbo.
Not sure what you have for tires, but I have "nubbies". It's always an adventure, because if Arrowhead and Lutz can get through with their knobbies, I still have absolutely no assurance if I can or cannot make it. It's always an adventure for me. We all know how to push, and the only one who didn't need a push on Saturday was Lutz.

BTW, that overgrown narrow trail loon s**t pictured above, I was the photographer for good reason. The pictures were of the return, second time through for Lutz and Arrowhead. It took them a bit longer to realize that we weren't going to go all the way through there. We did a lot of turning around on dead ends, which is where most of the pictures were taken.

Hope to see you and your bike really soon!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #116
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like fun! I am excited to have our home in Knife River done so I can meet up with you FFs. I'm going to have to get something more aggressive than the stock tires if I hope to get the 800gs through that kind of gumbo.

More information on the missile base, please.....PM me if you think its off topic. Thanks
There were 8 bomarc missile bases in the U.S.It was operational by the year 1961. It was the U.S. northern defense against enemy aircraft. The missiles could be deployed in 30 seconds,reach 80000 feet,and had a range of 400 miles.there were between 117 to 208 enlisted men,17 officers and 7 civilians. The base was vacated in 1975 and turned over to the township. Today there are businesses up there and the formal silos are now rental storage.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #117
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Just a note to everyone. I started this thread so local riders could get together to ride and share stories and information with each other. Please feel free to post any questions what so ever. I think almost any question which involves our riding area would probally be on topic. Thank-you.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #118
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead rider View Post
lutz
Lutz, those flat spots are tough! How did you drop it there? Or did you just lay it down to make the others feel better!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #119
arrowhead rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-tell-sore! View Post
Lutz, those flat spots are tough! How did you drop it there? Or did you just lay it down to make the others feel better!
Didn't you spot that large cut aspen lying on the ground? I think it grabbed him and held tight!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #120
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-tell-sore! View Post
Um, I guess the log pile I had just cleared is just outside of the frame. Yeah, that's it...there was an old pile of abandoned timbers. Partially rotted and really gnarly. Just begging to be conquered. (This field was the site of an old logging camp, you know.) Yep, got over the logs, but was a little off balance and had to bail to avoid the family of field mice right in front of me. They were really cute.

...Or I guess it could have been the classic diagonal limb lying on the ground. Just screwing around in the field, caught it with the front tire, which followed the limb instead of my intended path and washed out. Rookie move, really. ...Wait...I mean I was demonstrating the type of thing a rookie might do. There, that's my final answer, I was intentionally showing what not to do.

Lutz screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 07:42 PM Reason: Adding to the lie