User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
murfalert OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Ural compatability with R100?

How compatable is a '79 R100 motor into a 2003 Ural? How about other parts like final drive? Is it bolt in?
Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,074
the motor mounts line up, that's about it.

To make it work you need to use the Ural transmission which will require an adapter or modification to the case. It is fairly minor, but those holes don't mate unless you do that.
You will need to build a clutch and throw out rod. You can use BMW bits for the clutch but it will probably require shimming out the pressure plate. The throw out rod is easiest to just make as the ends don't match and the length will probably be different.
You end up with a 90 mph beast with inadequate brakes and suspension. You will probably need to drop the engine to change the oil filter.

It's been too long and I used a Dnepr anyway, so I can't give you anything more specific than that. Good Luck!
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
BWeber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I have a 2006 Ural Patrol with a R90 in her. You have to really love the Ural to go down that rabbit hole. Are you 2 wheel drive?
The transmission modification was very minor.
A 2003 has the old Russian gears and bearings in the transmission and final drive.
When I upgraded to a R90
1 upgrade transmission gears
2 rear end exploded so upgrade to new German gears (2 wheel drive section failed)
3 respoke rear wheel. Russian spokes won't handle it
4 new mufflers.
5 dyno engine to get carbs set for new muffler and foam filters.
6 you need to remove sidecar to change oil. Engine right cylinder hits sidecar frame before the filter cover is exposed when you drop the engine down.

If you go this route it will travel faster than the suspension and brakes should ever be run at.

Off road it is a good ride. With the stock engine it really did not have enough power for much more than hard packed trails. It's nice to ease up to things at a slow walk and have enough power to pull thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWeber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,026
I always wondered why one didn't see more of that combo, you guys have discouraged me already, it may be easier to refine a Ural motor a bit.DB
Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
BWeber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
It's a lot better financial decision.
I started down the rabbit hole when the original Ural engine lost the second jug at 24,000 km.
first was the R90 engine with upgraded transmission gears and bearings. The rest was added as things failed. I think I have around 12,000 km on the new motor. Could be more is have to look at the speedo.
When all of the stuff is done it is a super fun bike!! But you are still pushing the Ural parts hard so the maintenance goes up.
Once Claude gets my new Triumph Tiger Explorer rig done my Ural will likely be for sale.
Miss Ural is the best most mechanically upgraded rig I know of.
I'm thinking the new Freedom Sidecar rig will be nice enough Jimmy Dog will be willing to swap chairs for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWeber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 265
The R80 motor is the best choice if you can find one. Not all that hard to do I had one in my Dnepr that I owned for two years of use before moving on and selling the rig.

A POS with crankshaft oil feed problems when I bought it the 800cc airhead motor made it a sweet trouble free rig that was not over powered and less prone to shredding the drive train than a 1000 cc motor. That was my experience for what it's worth.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #7
murfalert OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I have the whole R100 so maybe getting the rebuilt title for it, then moving the car to that bike is smarter. No reverse but will the car hook up to the BMW frame easily?
Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfalert View Post
I have the whole R100 so maybe getting the rebuilt title for it, then moving the car to that bike is smarter. No reverse but will the car hook up to the BMW frame easily?
Murf

OK Bob, here's your que.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
OK Bob, here's your que.
Really + 1
Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
A very knowledgeable person who has done multiable conversions is,"Bural" on the Sovietsteeds website. He lives in Western N.C. A great guy and a pilar of Ural knowledge especially dealing with installing BMW motors in them.
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
The biggest hurdle to putting a Ural sidecar on pretty much any other bike besides a Ural is that before 2012 or so the front mount was fixed. No adjustment in the front mount and it used a ball mount. The rear mount has very limited adjustment and is also a ball mount. I have seen a couple cases were people got lucky and those Ural sidecar mount locations worked out but they pretty much had to make mounts on the bike specific to where the mounts on the sidecar were.

DMC has a kit that where you cut off the front Ural mount and weld in a pinch clamp. Same goes for the rear but that one mounts to the frame tube. The kit also has the adjustable arms ( I think DMC refers to them as bosses ) that slide into the welded on pinch clamps. I have used this kit a few times to convert Ural and Dnepr sidecars.

So its certainly doable but its more time and money and parts to get it done.
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote