User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #256
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
A Surprise Story Elmer Will Appreciate

Sorry—no pictures for this story—I got too spaced out and forgot to shoot any.

Kirby and I were on a ride a couple of weeks ago and The Kirbs was starting to look thirsty. We were on a paved road that follows a river so I started looking for a fisherman’s track down to the river’s edge. Found one, got up on the pegs, and started following it downhill in 1st gear. Got to within about 100 yards of the river, but still maybe 30 feet in elevation above it, when the Jeep track suddenly veered left to go parallel with the river. I shifted all my weight to the left peg and yanked hard on the bars to the left, but I wasn’t quick enough. The front wheel went over the edge on the downhill side and, to avoid a tipover, I had to turn the rig downhill. I hit the brakes immediately but didn’t come to a stop until the rig had traveled another 10 feet, which put all three wheels over the edge and the rig pointed downhill on a steep slope towards the river.

There was no way I could turn the rig on this slope. And I couldn’t push it backwards up the slope to the level track without using my winch. But, down at the river’s edge directly ahead of me, I could see a fire ring under the trees. A fire ring usually means a campsite and, if there was a campsite down there, there should be enough room to get the rig turned around. So I eased off the brakes and immediately gathered speed going down the slope. I started dragging the rear tire and using as much front brake as I could without losing steerage, and phew! we made it down to the river’s edge OK.

There was in fact a small campsite there, and after a few K-turns, I got the rig turned around. I killed the motor, took off my helmet, gloves and jacket, then Kirby went for a swim while I relaxed. Eventually, I walked over to take a closer look at this slope. I'd made about a 400-foot rut from the Jeep track to the bottom of the slope and my rear tire had dug a rut about 3 or 4 inches deep in the loose soil that contained lots of rocks and baby heads. (This is where I really wish I had taken some pics!) Since I don't have any pics, here is a pic taken earlier in the day of Kirby exploring another river we stopped at with similar terrain--

I knew there was no way I could climb this slope, but I thought I might be able to make it part way up, then I could use my winch to get the rest of the way up. I put on my helmet, threw my jacket and gloves in the car (because I wanted to be “unencumbered” and "athletic"), and ordered Kirby to stay and watch just in case I had a mishap. He couldn’t do anything for me if I lost it, of course, but I didn’t want him getting hurt.

I was still breaking in my chuddering sintered clutch, so I decided to back up the rig to the edge of the campsite in order to give me room to gun the motor, dump the clutch, and get up some steam before turning towards the hill, because I really didn’t want to be fussing around in the friction zone while trying to keep the rig pointed uphill and on a good line.

Now would be a good time to mention that I still have my Vredestein Snow+ rear tire. Its got about 10,000 miles on it, and still has about 3mm of tread. The treadwear is nice and even across the tread face and I run it at 26 psi cold. I have a TPMS sensor on this wheel, so I know that at highway speeds on hot tarmac the pressure rises to about 30 psi. I think I was one of the first guys here in Hacks to get really fired up about how good this tire is on the 4x15-inch car wheels that are used as car pushers so often on the big GS rigs. I know that Elmer went out and bought one after my review and I still remember him posting up online about how the it “digs like a Panzer!” (If you know Elmer, you’ll get it.) Since then, Mighty Matt (bugsonmyface) and several others have mounted up the Snow+ and are having good luck with it. Here is a pic of my Snow+ taken last week—

(I said no pictures, but this one doesn’t count because it was taken later.)

Anyway, back to the story. With Kirby watching, I got up on the pegs, gave it the gas, dumped the clutch, gathered some speed, and hit the slope. Then, at about 2500 rpm, I went right up the slope all the way to the top. WTF? How did I do that? No wheel spin? No drama? Wha-a-a-A-A-T?

But dat’s the truth!

I didn’t think there was a chance in hell to make it up that slope, and instead I ran up it like it was nothing. Not only did the Snow+ once again prove itself as a hack pusher, but now I got to start wondering what my rig is actually capable of doing. How steep and loose can I conquer? How much is too much?

Guess I’m gonna have to give Mr. Cob a call and have him take me out for a ride!

And for you guys back East, here's one more pic from the same trip--Kirby hydrating at yet another little backcountry stream. You can just see the rig parked up on the road behind that log--

DRONE screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 09:50 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #257
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,339
Very Good !

Drone
I'm glad you had a good outcome, it'll be a confidence builder for you, you've figured out its about traction and power and more power can cause traction to be iffey. I'd done a couple of really dumb stunts riding a GS single me and the dog and traction has always been a problem our mud here in the midwest turns to grease at a certain point and if one doesn't have TKC's on the tire packs up and one looks for help.I've had a E900 Ducati (Italian GS) in a mud hole I was too lazy to try and ride around, the end result was laying bike on its side and drag it out and stand it up.
I've thought a winch might help with my poor impulse control and decision making !
I think I'm going to use you as my new role model, you make decent decisions.DB
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #258
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Aye..WUMPA..KIRBY..Drone... Glad you made it safely home and you're OK. Be careful!

You handled the mishap very well...testament of the many offroad miles you've made and I would ride with you any time.

Aha, the Vredestein M/S..glad you got me into these and hope Duncan retains them. So you got 10k on them...wooo, never thought that they might go that far. Now you can actually swap your sidecar's Vredestein to the pusher(if it has them too) and the 3mm will last a long time on a non-powered free wheeling wheel.

I've been lurking here in the background and really miss the Hack camaraderie....saw this in the FleaMarket(bikes)..:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835494

BUT my Frau nixed the idea....Nein!! VW EuroVan full Camper. JA !!

Stay well Dronie and be careful..

By the way how did the mushroom stew taste at the Volcano run?

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 04:35 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #259
cluedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Drone
Nice ride report, glad you made it home safely.
I hope I will learn to ride my rig that well.
cluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #260
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Howdy DRONE,

I am but a phone call, email or PM away, give me a couple of days lead time to make sure I don't have other plans and I would enjoy going for a ride with you.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #261
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Aye..WUMPA..KIRBY..Drone... Glad you made it safely home and you're OK. Be careful!

You handled the mishap very well...testament of the many offroad miles you've made and I would ride with you any time.

Aha, the Vredestein M/S..glad you got me into these and hope Duncan retains them. So you got 10k on them...wooo, never thought that they might go that far. Now you can actually swap your sidecar's Vredestein to the pusher(if it has them too) and the 3mm will last a long time on a non-powered free wheeling wheel.

I've been lurking here in the background and really miss the Hack camaraderie....saw this in the FleaMarket(bikes)..:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835494

BUT my Frau nixed the idea....Nein!! VW EuroVan full Cmaper. JA !!

Stay well Dronie and be careful..

By the way how did the mushroom stew taste at the Volcano run?

cheers...
Hello Elmer!! Haven't hacked one of those yet....hmmmm.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #262
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hello Elmer!! Haven't hacked one of those yet....hmmmm.
Claude--Elmer and I were thinking that this one (designed by one of your competitors) would be the right style for the HP2. Get out your pipe bender! --

Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #263
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
......woooooo!! Send money

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #264
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

To make that beast responsive one would have to gear it to top out about 80, that is allot of metal, it would be fun in chromoly or aluminum but one had better know and help his tig welder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DB
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #265
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Drone:

SOunds like you had - and met - a real challenge. Glad you and Kirby made it through in good shape.

As Elmer said, it's time for you to switch tires/wheels between the car and bike though - especially as weather is turning around here.

Duncan
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #266
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Me like!

That would be a sweet looking unit. Probably get a decent weight in aluminum, combined with the juice of that HP2, that could be FUN!!!

If you needed more power there's always turbo's!

I know, OVERKILL!

Maybe 2wd?

Anything is possible, with sufficient fundage! Someone on here has to be rich/crazy enough to try it. I know I would've a few years ago.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #267
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Claude--Elmer and I were thinking that this one (designed by one of your competitors) would be the right style for the HP2. Get out your pipe bender! --

That outfit was built by Brock and Pete at Side Effects...great guys!! We recently put a swaybar on it. Also built a cargo box sidecar on a KLR for the same owner. All cool folks!! Hey Brock it does handle better with the swaybar...lol.

claude screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 01:29 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #268
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Dang!

A 3.1 final drive with 22,000 miles came up on eBay with a $350 Buy It Now price. A little spendy for a cheap bastid like me, but I jumped on it anyway. After all, it was a 3.1! How many times does one of those show up?

When it arrived--it was a 3.0. GAAH!!

Mine's a 2.82 (31/11) with 66,000 miles, and while a 3.0 is an upgrade, it's not a $350 upgrade. I sent it back.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #269
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Nooooooo !

Drone
That's the only reasonable gearset for the GSadv bikes that come with a lower 1st and 6th 33/11 is the r1100gs,r series gearset two teeth is a reasonable upgrade and will improve your acceleration, passing and economy. R11** gearsets are 11/31,32,33,34 very hard to find,and the much heralded r850 11/37 probably way too low for our Adv's. It's a nice compromise I have one in my 00 1150gs with the wide ratio transmission and one going into my sidecar adv,If you had the standard GS transmission it wouldn't be much of a change but the adv are lower to begin with.DB

I can't find the published gear ratios for the adv model, they are not on Micapeak but the adv transmission is much sought after if you want to have someone OH your tranny and order the special enduro low gearset it can be done the gearset's probably 1500.The 34 or 37 gearsets are around 600 and they are probably 3hrs to install, the 33/11 is a low cost compromise.DB

davebig screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 07:38 PM Reason: addition
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #270
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Drone
That's the only reasonable gearset for the GSadv bikes that come with a lower 1st and 6th 33/11 is the r1100gs,r series gearset two teeth is a reasonable upgrade and will improve your acceleration, passing and economy. R11** gearsets are 11/31,32,33,34 very hard to find,and the much heralded r850 11/37 probably way too low for our Adv's. It's a nice compromise I have one in my 00 1150gs with the wide ratio transmission and one going into my sidecar adv,If you had the standard GS transmission it wouldn't be much of a change but the adv are lower to begin with.DB

I can't find the published gear ratios for the adv model, they are not on Micapeak but the adv transmission is much sought after if you want to have someone OH your tranny and order the special enduro low gearset it can be done the gearset's probably 1500.The 34 or 37 gearsets are around 600 and they are probably 3hrs to install, the 33/11 is a low cost compromise.DB
Does anyone know the rear gear ratio for an 1800 Goldwing?