Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #451
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
DRONE:

You might consider adding a SPOT and/or a rented satellite phone to your list. You're going to be out in the wilds with no cell service and it might be nice to be able to connect to help if you drive the rig off a cliff.

Best of luck to you and the Kirby - It's going to be a great adventure!!

Duncan
Hey, Dunc! My riding partner Kel has the SPOT. We've got a couple of our ADV buddies on the help list if we need an ADV-style rescue. In addition, though you're right about us being deep in the backcountry, August on the GDR is sort of like New Orleans during Mardi Gras. There will be lots of bicyclists, jeepers, locals, and of course ADV inmates on the road. I also have a towing service lined up--all it requires is that we be on a "maintained road" and since I've got a tow strap on board (and a hand winch) we should be able to limp out.

That said, I'm still gonna try my hardest not to drive over any cliffs!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #452
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
DRONE:

You might consider adding a SPOT and/or a rented satellite phone to your list. You're going to be out in the wilds with no cell service and it might be nice to be able to connect to help if you drive the rig off a cliff.

Best of luck to you and the Kirby - It's going to be a great adventure!!

Duncan
Hi Duncan. As Drone said I have a SPOT and the tracking and SOS has been tested. I hope I never have to use it again!. So if I'am in trouble I'am all set, As for Drone, I'll make a notation of his location and call for help for him when I get to the next town.
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #453
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Bigfoot Rally

On July 25, Kirby and I headed out to the Bigfoot Rally about 550 miles from home. After the Rally, our plan was to ride the Great Divide Route from Banff to Mexico so we were packed for a 30-day camping trip--

Took FR37 over Baldy Pass from Winthrop to Conconully--

Took a ride up Duncan Lake. Not a soul within 10 miles of here. Pretty much unspoiled wilderness--

Lunchtime view north up the lake treading water 30' from shore (it was hot!)--

Next day we did a VERY spirited ride to Sandon on Rt 31A then headed up to the viewpoint on Idaho Peak--

When you ride uphill to a dead end you gotta come back down again--

Old 08-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #454
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
On July 25, Kirby and I headed out to the Bigfoot Rally about 550 miles from home. After the Rally, our plan was to ride the Great Divide Route from Banff to Mexico so we were packed for a 30-day camping trip--

Took FR37 over Baldy Pass from Winthrop to Conconully--

Took a ride up Duncan Lake. Not a soul within 10 miles of here. Pretty much unspoiled wilderness--

Lunchtime view north up the lake treading water 30' from shore (it was hot!)--

Next day we did a VERY spirited ride to Sandon on Rt 31A then headed up to the viewpoint on Idaho Peak--

When you ride uphill to a dead end you gotta come back down again--

I saw you on day 1 up by Mt Vernon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #455
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Vredestein Snowtrac 3

Before I started out on the GDR (Great Divide Route) I changed out my Vredestein Snowtrac 3 in size 175/65/15 for a new Vredestein Snow+ 165/80/15. Here's a quick report on the Snowtrac 3--

I got 5000 miles from it, and changed it out before it was done, so I'd say this is a 6000 or 7000 mile tire. I ran it at cold pressures of 26-30 psi and got perfectly even tread wear at those pressures (there's no need to run it at 36psi or more). Sidewall bulge is greater than average so while the 65 profile shows a 114mm sidewall on paper, big rocks and holes were actually a lot closer to the rim than that. But despite the kind of vigorous riding I do on the dirt with full camping loads, I don't believe I ever bottomed the tire on the rim. Never had a flat, and had to add air only on very rare occasions. Mostly it held it's air pressure for weeks at a time. Grip on pavement wet and dry was fine for sidecar use, and the grip on dirt and gravel was really great! The grip was so good that I had a hard time getting it to break loose on hard turns--if I tried the tire would just dig in even more and I'd accelerate instead of drift.

I changed out the tire because I wanted the higher sidewall of the Snow+ for the GDR. I recommend the Snowtrac 3 for any GS rig that uses a 4"x15" car pusher wheel.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #456
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,528
Drone fill us in Robbie Burns had it covered with:

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane [you aren't alone]
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley, [often go awry]
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy.

Even I who you see as a Nemesis thinks it's unfortunate you couldn't complete your trip.DB
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #457
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

End of the thread?

Is this thread coming to an end? Maybe.

WUMPA is wrecked. The insurance people have taken their pictures. The repair estimates are in the works. If it's totaled, I plan to buy the salvage rights and part it out. If it's not totaled, then that's another story. I should know in a week or two. Right now I'm thinking it could go either way.

In the meantime, I want to chronicle WUMPA's final trip and explain just what happened in Wyoming.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #458
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,476
Really sorry to hear that Drone. Hope you are okay. Yes please let us know What happened. Possibly your story will help others to avoid something similar. Doesn't look totaled but who knows.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/

claude screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 06:43 PM
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #459
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
Howdy DRONE,

As Claude says, hope your OK, tel us what happened.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #460
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Great Divide Ride-Day 1-Toad Rock to Revelstoke

July 29--the last day of the Bigfoot Rally, I partnered up with Kel from Colorado with his KLR rig and we headed north.

Breakfast at The Treehouse in Kaslo then Rt. 31A to New Denver and up Rt. 6 alongside Slocan Lake and Upper Arrow Lake to the Galena Bay ferry. The view looking north from the ferry--

Followed Rt. 23 to Revelstoke and had a late picnic lunch in a park. Then went looking for a campsite somewhere on the way to Golden. Scenery near Revelstoke--

We found a nice campsite in Glacier National Park right off the Trans-Can Highway and went to bed early. Did 200 miles that day.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #461
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

GDR Day 2-Revelstoke to Canmore

July 30-Woke up to temps in the 40's () and headed up the Trans-Can to Golden. I was carrying a brand new Snow+ and wanted to mount it up before we started the gravel portion of the GDR. Found a great Kal-Tire shop in Golden that swapped out the tire for me no charge. Here's the guy--

I had some last minute supplies to shop for in Golden and Kel was anxious to see Banff, so we split and made plans to rendezvous later that day. Moments later, it started raining and it didn't quit all day. The ride from Golden to Banff is supposed to be the most scenic section on the Trans-Can but we got to see nothing but grey clouds and rain! So . . . no pics of the Canadien Rockies!

Arrived in Banff and couldn't find Kel. Wandered around cold and wet (temps now in the 50's!) but no luck--Banff is big! Anyway, decided to head up to Mt. Norquay which is where Cannonshot thinks the GDR should start--

Then drove over to the famous Banff Springs Resort that the Adventure Cycling Association considers the GDR launching point--

Banff is crowded with tourists and not much fun in the rain (and cold) so I decided to follow the GDR to Canmore and find a motel where I could hole up and reconnect with Kel. Found a really great motorcycle-friendly place called the Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge and got a hot shower.

205 miles this day, all on pavement, including at least 2 hours in Golden on the tire change and three hours in Banff.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #462
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

GDR Day 3-Canmore to Crowsnest Pass

Finally some gravel! Kel had holed up in Banff that night so he rode down to my ski lodge then we headed south on the Spray Trail through the Spray Valley Provincial Park. Was 32 degrees in Canmore that morning but we quickly climbed up through the clouds and into the sunlight where it was warmer and the scenery was fabulous--

This road was so perfectly graded that you could take a Greyhound bus on it. In fact, we actually DID see a Greyhound bus full of Japanese tourists on this stretch of road--

Unfortunately, 45 miles south of Canmore we ran into this--

This is the Kananaskis Trail and it was closed due to flood damage. Big disappointment since we were going to follow this trail all the way to Crowsnest Pass. Instead, we were forced to make a U-turn, drive north all the way to the Trans-Can, take the Trans-Can east to Calgary, then down the Cowboy Trail (Rt.22) to Crowsnest which was a 200-mile detour all on pavement. Boo! And we were out on the plains instead of up in the mountains. We did try several different dirt roads to get us back on the trail south of the flood damage, but they were ALL closed due to the flooding.

We camped at Alberta Lake on Rt. 3 near Crowsnest Pass. 283 miles.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #463
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

GDR Day 4-Crowsnest Pass to Red Meadow

In the morning, Kel and I split up. Kel decided to pick his own way back to his home in Colorado while I stayed on the trail. Started out by taking Cannonshot's advice to go visit the historic town of Elkford and found a nice gravel road that went up that way--

But before I got to Elkford, I hit this slide and had to turn around. Doesn't look like much, but there was no way over or around--

Paved roads to Fernie, then got on the gravel again-Lodgepole River Rd-from there to Elko to Lake Kookanusa where Kirby stopped for a swim--

Crossed the border at Roosville, south to Eureka on FR3440 (Eureka Airport Road), and stopped in town there for groceries. Then back on gravel up to Bald Pass on FR 114--

On the other side of the pass, I got my first look at Glacier National Park (the one in Montana)--

Stopped at the Polebridge Mercantile for one of their famous bear claws (not so great), then took FR 115 to Red Meadow where we camped for the night--

The thing about camping next to a lake in August is that unless you want to feed the entire mosquito population in the vicinity you set up your tent with you riding gear on . . . including gloves . . . including helmet! They were vicious! As soon as I got the poles up Kirby went right to the tent door and asked to be let inside. He stayed in there, free from bugs, while I finished getting the tent up and the sleeping gear unpacked.

As I was doing this, I could see my rear tire was going flat, but I was dammed if I was gonna fix it in the middle of a mosquito banquet, so I got inside the tent, fixed some supper for me and the Kirbs, and set my watch alarm for 5am.

233 mile day.

DRONE screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 09:31 AM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #464
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

GDR Day 5-Red Meadow to Seeley Lake

Aug 2nd--This was actually a good day but for some reason I pretty much forgot to take any pictures. Stupid! Anyway, I did get up at 5am and there were no mosquitoes. Found half of a rusty cotter pin in my rear tire--

Pretty easy fix (I use gummy worms) and we were packed up and on the road before sunup. Saw my first moose of the trip soon after near Whitefish Lake (no picture), then met up with fellow inmate ChaosinMT (no pic) near Kalispell for a hot shower and a water resupply with some of his great tasting well water. Kinda rainy day with daytime temps in the 50's.

At this point I decided my front wheel was ready to be re-tired and I stopped in Kalispell for a TKC80 from Penco Motorsports. Also bought a new bulb for my headlight and noticed that I'd blown the seals on the sidecar shock. Got on the phone to Jay and had him send a new shock to a friend of mine who was planning to meet up with me in a few days.

Finally got on the trail again around 2pm, in the rain, and drove south on a variety of gravel roads west of Swan Lake and the Swan River Valley (no pics). By 6pm I was tired and wet and decided to go find a room somewhere. But then a funny thing happened. In the parking lot of the motel, the sun came out, and the roads started to steam, and I decided that this was the best weather I'd seen all day. So I got back on the trail and rode another 2 hours on some beautiful gravel roads to Seeley Lake in the late day golden daylight. Those two hours were special. NO PICS!!!!

Despite the flat tire at Red Meadow, and the stop in Kalispell for a shower and a new tire, still managed to do 224 miles that day. Also, ta-ta-DAH, got 270 miles from one tank of gas--it took 7.7 gallons when I filled it (35mpg). My rig definitely gets good mileage when I keep the speed down to 30-35 mph which is my typical speed on gravel.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #465
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,941

Temba, his arms wide...

I'm assuming from the tone of your RR that both you and Kirby are uninjured, but sure would like confirmation of that.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com

Boondox screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 08:12 AM
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote