Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #556
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Dan
The R1100 is maybe a better cantidate, better gearing,but less strong forks tougher to do the Dedone style mod but Strokers done his as well as Twintwin.
Drone and the PNW DMC customers can think what ever they want lots of DMC's early work was poor structural welding(drone sent me an image of this cracked swingarm), in DMCs defense his stuff looks better now.
Stroker,Twintwin and several others started out as DMC customers but too much breakage and attitude drove them off.Half the country mistrusts Jay I have no idea why, I started my sidecar search years ago and and happened to ask a question about DMC's stuff, got an earful,there's allot of negative feeling about him.
Drone I believe Stroker and Twintwins frames broke also you maybe in good company. I dislike the DMC subframe it's not strong enough.But allot depends ones use you going to take my 17 # Schnauzer for a ride or are you going to load her up and go to S America ? It's relevant.I have close to 20 k miles on my CSM rig and have broken any of CSMs work, it's been in the ditch and out of control several times. I don't believe these PNW boys use anything any harder than the rest of us, I heard that Walter Mitty lived out there somewhere perhaps Federal Way.
Hacks aren't rocket science, Drone hates my lecturing but I wasn't in the ditch with my rig on top of me. Anyone who told Drone he'd have to ride it till it broke to find the mystery vibration is damn near criminal.If one's into used hacks and you don't have allot of mechanical apptitude or a friend that does it's goona be painful. Either the trail reducer was brittle and tore apart easily or the ball joint was loose and rocked and tore the threads out possibly being way over sprung excaberated it.
Drone remember your diploma in the closet under the stair stop acting like it's important it's not, try and accept advice when it's freely given !
So I see you are an Angry Hun after all

Great info in this thread for me, the noob, to learn on, thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #557
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Strong Bad just the guy that's needed here, you fabricated and worked metal for a living.Are you going to blame the ball joint as well ? How about the adapter screwed into the telelever frame and the ball joint screwed into that."half measures availed us nothing " See if Drone will send you an image of his swingarm it would end up in your welding mistake portfolio ! DB
In a former life I was a "master manipulator of molten metal" and unfortunately it has left it's mark on me to be hyper critical of other's handy work. That being said, I am not a failure analysis expert nor am I a design guy. However, that former life allows me to communicate in a somewhat intelligent manor with people I know who fabricate some unique products ranging from space capsules to the highest tech offroad race vehicles made today.( I have to add that all of the guys are also former or current offroad motorcycle racers.)

Discussions with my "connections" regarding the trail reducing lower triple clamp yielded the following:
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Do you have any idea what alloy was used?"
  • Me: I'm guessing 6061 T-6?
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "A 7000 or 2000 series would make be a much better choice"
  • Me: Honestly I have no idea what alloy is being used.
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Even with the other alloys, why would you have a threaded connection like that in aluminum?
  • Me: Because stock is aluminum?
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Yeah, but I think the stock part is a forging"
  • Me: What about using a helicoil?
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Helicoil would be better, but something like a Timesert is better yet."
  • Knowledgeable offroad machinist guy: "Why not make a threaded insert with a flange (shoulder) at the base and press it in, up from the bottom? That would take the load off of the threads and put it on the flange and spread it across the base. The flange wouldn't be able to pull through.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #558
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
In a former life I was a "master manipulator of molten metal" and unfortunately it has left it's mark on me to be hyper critical of other's handy work. That being said, I am not a failure analysis expert nor am I a design guy. However, that former life allows me to communicate in a somewhat intelligent manor with people I know who fabricate some unique products ranging from space capsules to the highest tech offroad race vehicles made today.( I have to add that all of the guys are also former or current offroad motorcycle racers.)

Discussions with my "connections" regarding the trail reducing lower triple clamp yielded the following:
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "A 7000 or 2000 series would make be a much better choice"
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Even with the other alloys, why would you have a threaded connection like that in aluminum?
  • Knowledgeable space guy: "Helicoil would be better, but something like a Timesert is better yet."
  • Knowledgeable offroad machinist guy: "Why not make a threaded insert with a flange (shoulder) at the base and press it in, up from the bottom? That would take the load off of the threads and put it on the flange and spread it across the base. The flange wouldn't be able to pull through.
Strong Bad
Your my new hero even though you own a DMC it's a late model one and much improved over Drones design.Intelligent discussion .DB
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #559
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

Amazing....We Actually kicked around the threaded insert idea. Still may do it dunno.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #560
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Amazing....We Actually kicked around the threaded insert idea. Still may do it dunno.
Claude--go ahead and try it but first finish the one-armed leading link you've been talking about for the GS--the one that doesn't use the telelever ball joint. First things first, OK, buddy? Because I seriously want to be a beta tester.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #561
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Linear Actuator

DRONE:

Re tilt control/linear actuator problem.

I know you were having trouble with it at least as far back as early June, and that Jay thought it was an electrical short.

Were you able to chase down the problem, and fix it, before you left on your CDR trip?

From your description of what happened on the CDR, it sounds mechanical rather than electrical. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #562
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Claude--go ahead and try it but first finish the one-armed leading link you've been talking about for the GS--the one that doesn't use the telelever ball joint. First things first, OK, buddy? Because I seriously want to be a beta tester.
They teach superstition where you went to school ? Or did you start out in the Roman church ? Claude warned me that the lads will all be superstitious now
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #563
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
DRONE:

Re tilt control/linear actuator problem.

I know you were having trouble with it at least as far back as early June, and that Jay thought it was an electrical short.

Were you able to chase down the problem, and fix it, before you left on your CDR trip?

From your description of what happened on the CDR, it sounds mechanical rather than electrical. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Duncan
Before I left on the trip, I should have disconnected the power supply to the actuator then checked to see if it would stay in place or continue to back down on its own. I never got around to it. Anyway, the actuator crapped out in Lima, MT. There in Lima (after it was too late) I disconnected it from the power supply and turned the shaft by hand to the middle of the length range. It still backed itself down. This suggests the problem was mechanical. Unless the electric motor inside the actuator needs power to "freeze" the shaft -- but I kinda doubt this.

When I get the car back, I think I'll take the actuator apart and see if there's something inside that broke.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #564
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Dan
The R1100 is maybe a better cantidate, better gearing,but less strong forks tougher to do the Dedone style mod but Strokers done his as well as Twintwin.
Drone and the PNW DMC customers can think what ever they want lots of DMC's early work was poor structural welding(drone sent me an image of this cracked swingarm), in DMCs defense his stuff looks better now.
Stroker,Twintwin and several others started out as DMC customers but too much breakage and attitude drove them off.Half the country mistrusts Jay I have no idea why, I started my sidecar search years ago and and happened to ask a question about DMC's stuff, got an earful,there's allot of negative feeling about him.
Drone I believe Stroker and Twintwins frames broke also you maybe in good company. I dislike the DMC subframe it's not strong enough.But allot depends ones use you going to take my 17 # Schnauzer for a ride or are you going to load her up and go to S America ? It's relevant.I have close to 20 k miles on my CSM rig and have broken any of CSMs work, it's been in the ditch and out of control several times. I don't believe these PNW boys use anything any harder than the rest of us, I heard that Walter Mitty lived out there somewhere perhaps Federal Way.
Hacks aren't rocket science, Drone hates my lecturing but I wasn't in the ditch with my rig on top of me. Anyone who told Drone he'd have to ride it till it broke to find the mystery vibration is damn near criminal.If one's into used hacks and you don't have allot of mechanical apptitude or a friend that does it's goona be painful. Either the trail reducer was brittle and tore apart easily or the ball joint was loose and rocked and tore the threads out possibly being way over sprung excaberated it.
Drone remember your diploma in the closet under the stair stop acting like it's important it's not, try and accept advice when it's freely given !
I have met Jay,and talked to him a few times when I was starting my hack adventures.He is VERY opioninated and can come across very harsh.I found that the REAL person there you want to deal with is BARRY !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #565
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Dan
I hve to agree with DB.I have a DMC rig That has broke more times than I want talk about..Right now its sitting with a broken mount on my camber adjuster.Something that small can shut you down..I'm right now thinking and figuring how I can get some cash up to send mine to Claude for a proper built rig..I have the same GSA as DB mine has a Ural tub and I like the setup,BUT I've lost the trust in the builder..I will go uot of my way to talk another rider from going to the PW instead of nearby..
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #566
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Burt. But I hear you. About the third time something fails you start losing confidence in the product or the provider. I have nothing but great things to say about Claude, have never felt like I was getting a hard sales push, just honest information from a very above board man.

If I had one complaint about his work it would be that it's so good I soon started pushing my rig much harder than ever. I could never do a three tire power slide before getting his swaybar installed! His work has turned me into a maniac on the back roads!

Give him a call.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #567
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Burt. But I hear you. About the third time something fails you start losing confidence in the product or the provider. I have nothing but great things to say about Claude, have never felt like I was getting a hard sales push, just honest information from a very above board man.

If I had one complaint about his work it would be that it's so good I soon started pushing my rig much harder than ever. I could never do a three tire power slide before getting his swaybar installed! His work has turned me into a maniac on the back roads!

Give him a call.
Hey Pete,
Do you have some pics of the swaybar install Claude did on your Hannigan, or a link? Thanks,
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #568
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Hey Pete,
Do you have some pics of the swaybar install Claude did on your Hannigan, or a link? Thanks,
Hmmm, that means I'd have to stop riding long enough to take some pix. I'll try to do that this weekend since we're supposed to have nasty thunderstorms this afternoon. In the meanwhile, here's a teaser taken near the top of Beartooth Pass, a twisty road where I really noticed the difference. The OEM Hannigan swaybar was about the diameter of my index finger and was easily overwhelmed by my spirited way of taking mountain curves. Claude's swaybar is, well, massive!

I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #569
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Peter: like they say shit happens agin &agin&agin..Yeah already talked to Claude..Just need the cash and its going Claude..Then we can shove all that DMC stuff where the sun don't shine..I'll try coming out next year... I'm sorry Drone for stepping on ypour thread..Good Luck my Hacker friend....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #570
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Front tire

I ran a Heidenau K60 Scout on the front for almost the whole time I've owned the rig. I really liked the K60 and have posted up here before about it.

Here's a pic of one just mounted--

And then when it's all squared off and near the end--

When I was in Kalispell--Day 5 of the GDR--I mounted a TKC80. Never had one before (on any bike)--

Only had the tire for 900 miles before my wreck, but I wanted to post up my impressions. First of all--loved it!

I was surprised to discover that it actually felt SMOOTHER on pavement than the K60 despite having a more aggressive knobby tread. Then on gravel, oh boy, really a confidence builder. The TKC front has a rep for being short-lived when mounted on a GS and used on pavement, and I'm guessing that with the added weight and lack of leaning on a sidecar rig the tire would get used up pretty quick on paved roads. But I think it would hold up pretty well on gravel. If I was planning a long gravel ride like the TAT or the GDR or a COBDR/UTBDR loop, I'd definitely want a TKC80 on the front.

Just my 2.