Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #61
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
I have the same panniers on my rig.But the hinges on the right bag was moved to the front so the opens from the rearand lifts to the front.Just moved the hinges and latches....I'll look to see if I have a pic....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #62
crotchrocket3000
b00b

Oddometer: 192
What an absolutely stunning outfit!!!! VERY jelous!!
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #63
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchrocket3000 View Post
What an absolutely stunning outfit!!!! VERY jelous!!
Thank you Crotchrocket3000!

Following Claude's advice, I got a nylon strap and attached it to the lid. I didn't really want to drill a hole in the lid to mount it, so I drilled out one of the lid bracket rivets and replaced it with a bolt. Then I attached the strap to that bolt and to the hinge bolt. Voila!

DRONE screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 05:08 PM
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #64
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Power Distribution in the Car

I have 8 separate power lines going from the bike to the car -- (1) pink electric trim-up, (2) purple electric trim-down, (3) blue running lights, (4) brown brake lights, (5) green turn signals, (6) black unswitched accessory socket, (7) and (8) blue and red switched accessory sockets. I also have two separate white ground lines--one to the Fuzeblock and one directly to the battery. The power distribution happens behind the seat back as seen here--

Yeah, I know -- it ain't pretty! But separate lines makes it easier to troubleshoot problems, and if one line goes out I have back-ups. Like for instance the running light line is really pretty much the same as the switched accessory lines. This whole area is protected by the seat back, which gets used even when the dog platform is in place.

I installed the Powerlet accessory sockets on a piece of wood glued (yes, glued!) to the seat support bracket. This way I didn't have to drill any more holes in the car, and the bracket provides some protection to the sockets.

I chose this location so that the sockets would not be exposed to the dog when the dog platform is in use, and so they'd be handy to the passenger when the seat is in place. The sockets will be used for heated gear, for a heating mat for the dog, and for re-charging batteries on gadgets.

The biggest battery I take camping with me is the one that powers my CPAP machine. I can sleep three nights on one charge, and then recharge it during the day. It has its own protective case, so I can throw it under the seat and let it ride there while it's charging.

DRONE screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 05:23 PM
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Seatback Mod

And speaking of the seatback, I put it in and take it out frequently, and don't want to be fooling around with a screwdriver each time. So I installed some threaded brass inserts into the seat back and got some wingnut bolts to fit. Now I can take the seat out and put it back in quickly and easily without tools, and can even do it by feel in the dark!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #66
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,489
That is a fine looking rig, Drone.

I like the Powerlet idea.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #67
gordonscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Outstanding! That is one sexy outfit.
gordonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #68
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Thank you Crotchrocket3000!

Following Claude's advice, I got a nylon strap and attached it to the lid. I didn't really want to drill a hole in the lid to mount it, so I drilled out one of the lid bracket rivets and replaced it with a bolt. Then I attached the strap to that bolt and to the hinge bolt. Voila!

One way to avoid drilling in fiberglass for this type of thing is to glass a nut
or a bracket onto the underside of the lid. Various brackets, coupler nuts (long nuts that can be cut to a desired length) and such can be found at a common hardware store as well as fiberglass repair kits. Just food for thought. You did great.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #69
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Drone - Looks good and definitely better than weather stripping on the pannier. Nothing left to do but ride...

Good call Claude.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #70
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Wumpa's first camping trip to Lake Chelan. Finally got some dirt! Needs some tweaking but I was happy with how it handled. Here's some pics.

Near Snoqualmie Pass. That's Kirby the Co-Pilot in the car--

Mountain Home Road above Leavenworth--

In the hills north of Lake Chelan looking south--

Close to the 4500' snowline on Slide Ridge Road south of the lake--

That was my turnaround point on Slide Ridge. I could've gone a little farther, but the snow had recently melted off this part of the road and the surface was pretty soft. In the next pic you can see how I was digging in. I was sure I couldn't make it to the top so turning around here made sense.

Here you can see the lower part of Slide Ridge Road and the rain clouds that were starting to drift in--

BTW, Slide Ridge Road is part of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #71
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what awesome pictures
i'm so glad you added them here
nice to see WUMPA "in the field"
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #72
crotchrocket3000
b00b

Oddometer: 192
Looks great in the out doors!! and looks like it mostly stayed white !
crotchrocket3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #73
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
How are you liking your rear tire? It looks like it's doing very well on the gravel and hard pack. Aside from not wanting to get you bike dirty, how good is it in the mud?

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #74
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
How are you liking your rear tire? It looks like it's doing very well on the gravel and hard pack. Aside from not wanting to get you bike dirty, how good is it in the mud?
I'm not a mud monster. Prefer dry dirt and rocks. Definitely don't go looking for it. Hit some on this trip and got through it OK. Still experimenting with pressure levels. First trip--26 lbs. Next I'll try 30.

And I don't know what you mean about not wanting to get it dirty. Look at the 2nd pic in the post above--there is definitely some dirt on the possum scraper! Geez, some guys . . .
Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #75
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I'm not a mud monster. Prefer dry dirt and rocks. Definitely don't go looking for it. Hit some on this trip and got through it OK. Still experimenting with pressure levels. First trip--26 lbs. Next I'll try 30.

And I don't know what you mean about not wanting to get it dirty. Look at the 2nd pic in the post above--there is definitely some dirt on the possum scraper! Geez, some guys . . .
when you say 26....
was that in BOTH the bike AND sidecar tire?
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote