User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #121
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,290
Something Odd Happened

Something odd happened to me on my outing a week ago. Checked the tires before leaving home and all pressures were spot on. Not a big surprise since I use Ride-On tire sealant and my tires rarely need to be topped off. Drove about 30 leisurely miles to a gas station, mostly on 35mph-type paved roads but also a couple of 55mph paved stretches. Rig felt fine the whole time. But when I stopped for gas my front tire was flat. Not a little soft--totally flat!

First of all--thumbs up for my Heidenau K60 Scout that not only stayed on the rim with no air, but didn't even give me any shakes or shimmies.

Filled the tire and checked for punctures/leaks. Found none. Just a little bit of seepage between the tire and the rim that I figured would go away as soon as I got going and the bead got better seated. Did about 100 more miles that day, including about 20 miles of dirt/gravel, stopping frequently to check the tire. No loss of pressure. Now, a week later, and the tire is still holding at 30 lbs which is how much I put in at the gas station that morning.

What's up with that? How did I manage to deflate my front tire without puncturing it or damaging it?
DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #122
oldbritgit
Trooper

Oddometer: 34
Hey Drone....I don`t know what that Ride On stuff is composed of....but I do know that Dyna Beads, (which are very small ceramic beads)......will once in awhile, when you check tire pressure... as you did....get stuck under valve and cause a slow leak....what I do is give tire a quick blast of air before taking pressure reading to move beads away from valve....

PS...I don`t check pressure when away from an air compressor source....
oldbritgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #123
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,445
Hey buddy,missed you at the bigfoot rally !!.Lots of fun was had by all !!!

Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #124
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbritgit View Post
Hey Drone....I don`t know what that Ride On stuff is composed of....but I do know that Dyna Beads, (which are very small ceramic beads)......will once in awhile, when you check tire pressure... as you did....get stuck under valve and cause a slow leak....what I do is give tire a quick blast of air before taking pressure reading to move beads away from valve....

PS...I don`t check pressure when away from an air compressor source....
Ride-On is a liquid and it can spit out of your valve stem if you have alot of the stuff in there, and then check your air with the stem in the 6 o'clock position. But I always check my air from the 9 o'clock position. Anyway, if there was any Ride-On in the stem it wouldn't make it leak, it would make it not leak.

PS--I always carry a compressor and tire kit on board with me.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #125
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

I have had a valve stem core stick down AFTER I have checked the pressure.Putting the cap on would keep some of the air in but I think after sometime it would all leak out.I had to pull out the core and clean it off and put it back in.Just a thought.!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #126
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I have had a valve stem core stick down AFTER I have checked the pressure.Putting the cap on would keep some of the air in but I think after sometime it would all leak out.I had to pull out the core and clean it off and put it back in.Just a thought.!!!!!
That would certainly explain everything that happened before and since. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, that was a new core that I put in this Spring when I mounted the new tire. I think I'll pull that valve core and clean it. Or maybe go buy a new one. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #127
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Good call, Alan. Quite possible.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #128
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

No worries,Just don't let it go flying out into the yard when you take it out ( not that I have ever done that !!!)
Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #129
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
No worries,Just don't let it go flying out into the yard when you take it out ( not that I have ever done that !!!)
That's too too funny! That's why I put in a new core this Spring. The old one flew out into the yard somewhere when I was deflating to install the Ride-On.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #130
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

You guys must be bad luck. This evening I went out to mow the lawn. I was checking the tire pressure and the right rear valve stem stuck and all the air (with a bunch of slime) squirted out. Drone, I am convinced that Slime and like products cause the valve stems to stick open as they gum up. Ten minutes later I stuffed my tractor in the ditch. I had to yank it with the Jeep and help of my neighbors.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #131
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxertwin View Post
You guys must be bad luck. This evening I went out to mow the lawn. I was checking the tire pressure and the right rear valve stem stuck and all the air (with a bunch of slime) squirted out. Drone, I am convinced that Slime and like products cause the valve stems to stick open as they gum up. Ten minutes later I stuffed my tractor in the ditch. I had to yank it with the Jeep and help of my neighbors.
Trouble comes in threes. Watch yourself!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #132
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

I shall walk softly.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #133
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Back to the mysterious sudden air loss -- after all those suggestions -- I ended up not doing anything about it before I left on a 2000-mile camping trip. Just came back. Had to add about 2 lbs halfway through the trip. That was it.

Edit--never happened again. Ran that tire down to where it was almost smooth. I think somehow or another I must have broken the bead that morning and lost all the air just a minute before I noticed it.

DRONE screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 12:03 PM
Old 08-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #134
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Total weight of the rig

Had a chance to ride my rig over the scale at my local dump and thought I'd share what I found out. With dog and camping gear and a half tank of gas, I rolled in at 1320 lbs.

30% (400 lbs) was on the front wheel, 20% (260 lbs) was on the the sidecar wheel, and the remaining 50% (660 lbs) was on the rear wheel.

Weird that it came out so even at a perfect 30/20/50 split. I measured it both rolling on and rolling off the scale and got the same readings at both ends.

For reference, I think that the rider and passenger, tools, equipment, camping gear etc that I had on board with me when I hit the scale weighed around 450 lbs so that leaves the outfit at about 870 lbs naked (but with panniers and other farkles). Seems reasonable compared to BMW's published dry weight of 550 lbs.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #135
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

WestFest camping trip

2000-mile camping trip with Kirby to Montana (WestFest), Idaho and Oregon. About 400 miles was dirt or gravel roads--90% Forest Service roads. The highlight of the trip in terms of sphincter control was probably going DOWN the Kleinschmidt Grade (pics below) into Hells Canyon. If you don't know this road, Google it. Drops 2300 feet in about 5 miles - one lane of dirt with turnouts - and if you make a mistake you won't stop until you splash into the Snake River! I actually DID splash into the Snake River, but that was after parking the rig at the bottom. It was about 90 degrees and Kirby and I both felt like a swim.

No problems with the rig at all except I'm now convinced that I need to beef up the springs on my shocks (like Boxertwin told me three months ago!) My Heidenau K60 Scout is wearing down quite nicely giving me a fine square tread on the front. Front braking is better and left hand turns are more solid (I was getting some drift when the tire was new).

Washington Pass

At about 8000' somewhere in the Anaconda Range in Montana

Fire damage east of Continental Divide (Schultz Saddle) in Montana

Approach to Deer Creek Pass in Idaho

Cascade Lake

Dutch Oven Gulch

Cuprum

Kleinschmidt Grade (note-- white velcro parking brake deployed on right grip)

Oregon wheat fields

Snow on the road near Trout Lake

Mt Adams