User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Borderhooner OP
Captain Phaëton

Oddometer: 65
Import bike to South Africa from UK?

Hi - I'm emigrating in October. I know the import duty rates. But have yet to organise shipping. I don't know wether it would be cheaper to use a UK exporter or a RSA importer.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Borderhooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
dseenya
Kiwi in Cape Town

Oddometer: 57
Hi, just wondering if you went ahead with this. I'm very likely emigrating there next year and wondering about taking an xt660z tenere, or just buying there. It sounds like a huge hassle getting it registered in SA.
dseenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
JIM MORRIS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
BORDERHOONER, I think Dseenya is correct. Importing a bike into South Africa, and then registering it is a huge hassle, and all but impossible. I have even tried to permantantly import my own bikes from Australia and was forced to give up. I run low-profile 6 to 10 day minimalistic hardcore offroad adventure rides in Southern Africa. For foreign riders we use hired Suzuki DRZ400s. These bikes are hired from a nearby official "Suzuki Dearler", who keeps the bikes in tip top order. Participants who have bought their bikes into South Africa under a Carnet from their own country have not had any difficulty that I know of. They use Air-Freight straight to Johannesburg. Of course they need to export those bikes again at some time. Local riders use there own locally registered bikes.

There are plenty of new and used bikes on offer in South Africa. I suggest you sell your current bikes before migrating, and purchase new bikes when you arrive. Maybe keep your favorite accessories. It will save a lot of time and money.

I hope this helps.
JIM MORRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM MORRIS View Post
BORDERHOONER, I think Dseenya is correct. Importing a bike into South Africa, and then registering it is a huge hassle, and all but impossible. I have even tried to permantantly import my own bikes from Australia and was forced to give up. I run low-profile 6 to 10 day minimalistic hardcore offroad adventure rides in Southern Africa. For foreign riders we use hired Suzuki DRZ400s. These bikes are hired from a nearby official "Suzuki Dearler", who keeps the bikes in tip top order. Participants who have bought their bikes into South Africa under a Carnet from their own country have not had any difficulty that I know of. They use Air-Freight straight to Johannesburg. Of course they need to export those bikes again at some time. Local riders use there own locally registered bikes.

There are plenty of new and used bikes on offer in South Africa. I suggest you sell your current bikes before migrating, and purchase new bikes when you arrive. Maybe keep your favorite accessories. It will save a lot of time and money.

I hope this helps.

Confirmed easier routebring your drinkin boots if you are coming out here
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
dseenya
Kiwi in Cape Town

Oddometer: 57
Thanks guys. Some bike shops here have the 2011 xt660z tenere new for £5800. second hand they go from £3k up.
Was wondering if the hassle was worth it to save some cash.
I still have my drinking boots, they are a bit worn & less efficient with age.
dseenya is offline   Reply With Quote