Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #181
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny View Post
CB1100, I honestly don't know why Honda hasnt released it in North America.

A stunningly nice looking bike. If they brought them into the states I would buy one but like the W800, it's not going to happen. Marketing in the powersports industry is reactive: they don't anticipate trends, they repond to them. That puts them perpetually behind. Right now they they are living thru the waining days of the cruiser craze. When they wake up from that, they'll find the twenty-somethings that they really need to be bringing in right now will have moved on. I've had a lot of bikes but what did my son and his 20-something buddies always seem to spend the most time looking at? The Ural and the W650 before it. When the time came for him to buy a bike what he was looking for was a UJM, what he settled for was a DR650. Standards, real standards, had a grace about them, they looked like what a motorcycle should look like w/o appology. They also happen to work: flat seats so you can more around, that opens with a key so you can stash some stuff and/or actually check you battery, real bars that are easy to adjust or to change out,
a minimum of body work to avoid expensive Tupperware repairs, weights that are not a lot more than twice what you are and are thus more forgiving. The few of these that they bring in (assorted bonnies, TU250 etc) are selling pretty well. If there were more options, they 'd sell even better. Unfortunately by the time they figure that out, it will be too late, again.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #182
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
Right now they they are living thru the waining days of the cruiser craze.
What 30 years of cruiser craze?
Personaly I think that they're stuck in a superbike craze.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #183
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I think they're living through both cruiser and repliracer days. I don't like either one. I like that CB1100. Yes, motorcycle stylists seem soooooo reactive. Witness: the Honda Fury "chopper". Really?
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #184
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,121
I would never get something that big, but it sure looks great.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #185
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
That CB1000 does look kinda nifty. Motor's a bit on the big size for my current tastes, but it's a handsome bike. Pity it's not here, & not likely to come here.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #186
spenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
It's a pretty mild engine; with a modest 87hp on tap and not feather light at 536lbs.. specs are pretty close to the XR1200, beside the TQ of course.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #187
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Ain't it gorgeous? Had one just like it but always wanted the gold one.
Attached Images

Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #188
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Like this,
Attached Images

Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #189
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
There is a blue 1969 Sandcast model in the Barber Motorsports Museum. Beautiful.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #190
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
It's a pretty mild engine; with a modest 87hp on tap and not feather light at 536lbs.. specs are pretty close to the XR1200, beside the TQ of course.

Dang...you're right. I thought this mill would put out more juice than that. It's almost identical to the XR. A guy over that the xr1200 forum dynoed a stock xr1200 with just a K&N filter and a simple 'tune' and came out with 86 hp and 73 tq.
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #191
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thumb

Not a real monster by today's standards, but I do ride daily so am a bit fussy about MPG etc. If it got above 40 all the time & 50+ on the highway burning the mixture of humidity, & alcohol we use for fuel around these parts I'd give it a shot.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #192
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
I have read every single comment in this fascinating adult discussion and I am surprised no one has mentioned the most retro standard of all- The Royal Enfield. Light, simple, a home mechanic's dream and reputedly doing better in the reliability stakes.

However, while I enjoy the RE from a distance I ask myself what can the 500 single do that my 2007 Bonneville can't? My Bonneville is totally reliable, can cruise at 80 mph all day (even though mileage sinks to 38mpg US) can haul luggage and provides a comfortable, vibration-free perch for rider and passenger all day on a flat seat.

I remember the standards of 40 years ago and even the epitome of reliable back then, a BMW airhead, had nothing on the modern ease of use and reliability of motorcycles built today. Unfortunately the worlds population in the 53 years I have been alive has doubled and air pollution is an issue so we get more complex bikes that lose horsepower to anti-pollution devices that also increase weight as well as add that damned complexity. Still we get superb motorbikes in all shapes and sizes to enjoy. The wonder to me is that I am the only person in my 120 person municipal department that rides to work daily instead of sitting in a car.

If I weren't a retro rider I'd look long and hard at a Triumph Tiger 800, which comes with more complexity than my carburetted Bonneville, but it has the proper riding position, reasonable horsepower to spare, accessories including luggage and larger windshield and a relatively slim profile. As retro as I am I'd rather use a Tiger 800 daily than an elderly CB750 Four, as pretty as they are. I really like the Suzuki Bandit 1250 given two huge thumbs up in June's Rider magazine even though it is more bike than I need in my current riding environment. If you don't like chain drive it's because you haven't used modern o ring chains which are amazingly durable with decent lubrication. Our current bikes are amazing pieces of technology and I am glad for that modern chain drive, spark plugs that last forever and vibration free power plants that don't trash light bulbs. And it all works in pouring rain, every day.

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 02:42 AM
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #193
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
Not a real monster by today's standards, but I do ride daily so am a bit fussy about MPG etc. If it got above 40 all the time & 50+ on the highway burning the mixture of humidity, & alcohol we use for fuel around these parts I'd give it a shot.

You mean like a Sportster 1200?
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #194
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny View Post
Sounds like the perfect type of under-stressed mill that would provide years of reliable travel and at 530lbs it won't get blown all over the road by the myriad of big trucks the on highway. The fact that it is gorgeous is just icing on the cake.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #195
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,121
87 hp is WAY more then enough to do anything.
I would not mind it being lighter, hummm, it seems to have TWICE the power of my 1200 sportster, more ground clearance, and is lighter.....

Its not like you could not open up the airbox, jet it and get close to 100....
My TU250 is making 15 hp, so excuse me if I think 87 would be more then enough....
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote