--

Oddometer: 4,674
If I ever get a "naked bike", that would be on the top of my list:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #62
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I don't get the scalloped seats of most bikes today. Give me a straight bench seat any day. I like to move all around a bike on long rides. My rumper hurts locked in one position all day. The old standards had great seats. Sit on the back seat, scoot forward....the curve of that bmw makes me ache just looking at it. Nice bike otherwise
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #63
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
I don't get the scalloped seats of most bikes today.
That seat on the BMW is a low seat as far as I know. The "comfort" seats (low or standard) both have also more padding for the passenger.

The "scalloped" has at least three reasons:

1) Too many people with short legs that absolutely need to ride a tall bike. And I'm not talking about short people. There are so many 6' guys running around that have just a 30" inseam and still need to ride a GS Adventure, it's unbelievable.

2) Styling. I like the looks of it. Might just be me though.

3) It gets you more into the bike so it feels less like riding a tree trunk ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #64
carp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Think its scalloped for shorter legs. The r1200r with a bench seat would sit pretty high I think. I don't like what it does for looks either. I dreamed of an r1200r, but ended up getting a Bandit 1250s for now.
carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #65
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
There are so many 6' guys running around that have just a 30" inseam and still need to ride a GS Adventure, it's unbelievable.
OMG SRSLY?

I had no idea.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #66
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoster View Post
Is this more like it?

yes
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #67
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153

SV (even if this one is ten years old).

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #68
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
What happened to all the "Standard" Motorcycles, with a visible (and powerful) engine, neutral and comfortable seating position, normal handlebars, without tons of plastic. The few that exist are selling great (New Bonneville, as well as the Thruxton).

Even the old Harley Sportster's count. The new ones (except the XR models) are still really low, cruiser style.

What about all the old UJM's? The original SOHC Honda 4's were great. They looked good, handled well, were fast (for their day, and still hold up today.), and fun. I had a CB550. It was great. And you could work on the engine without removing a car's worth of plastic. They were lighter. No amount of composites in the fairing are lighter than not having one.

Or the old Airheads. They looked great. No fairing needed. Some of the newer BMWs are okay, but still not great.

Do people just not like these anymore?
I don't know, but when I returned to riding after a long break the new bikes left me cold, I don't need or want radiators, a 12th gear indicator, GPS ( theres one road into this place and the same road takes you out) and so much digital junk, I couldn't possibly figure out what all its telling me and don't need or want to know anyway, and the thermometer is the iceing on the cake good gawd, can't tell the diff between warm and cold when on a bike? I bought a no frills Sportster and have acquired 2 more Harleys since, I like them and I'm staying with them.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #69
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
This thread makes me realize the sheer amount of choices In brands styles and types of motorcycles today is really fantastic. The only material negative thing is the rise in prices... Where $15-20k isn't that uncommon...
RocketJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #70
BlackStallion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
599 for Europeans. Plain and simple.

BlackStallion screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 04:18 AM
BlackStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #71
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
If you squint this is a bit of a standard. :)

sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #72
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I'm 20.

I know there are naked bikes still. They are a completely different aesthetic.

This is the tuono. I don't see this as a "Naked Bike"

And this just looks weird:

Do people see this as looking nice?
Evidently they do, both bikes sell very well, and are widely acclaimed for the amount of fun they are to ride.

Full disclosure, I own a 1st Generation Tuono. I love the way it looks, but to be honest I don't see much of it when I'm on it, so the ride is the most important part. And it's a blast to ride.

It qualifies as a "standard" thanks to the riding position, and its close enough to naked thanks to easy access to everything vital. Takes about a minute to access the plugs and air filter, oil filter access is on the left side of the motor (dry sump system), electronics are under the quick-release seat, fusebox and most relays are right up by the headlights, headlamp bulbs are easily accessed, whole front fairing and headlight assembly comes off with four bolts and a plug, belly pan is four allen screws, etc.

I owned a 750/Four years and years ago. I wouldn't want one now, even for nostalgia, and it was a PITA to work on compared to my Aprilia. It's also dated and visually unexciting to me, and no need to mention the massive improvements in engineering since then. Have no interest in the new CB1000 either, same as I don't really care for the new Bonnies, the GT1000, or all the other retro-bikes for the same reason...been there, done that, got the bug-splattered T-shirts.

I appreciate their appeal to others, but there's only so much retro you can milk before it starts becoming counter-productive.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #73
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Love the Bonnie line. And thought the Duc lineup was a good one too, but unfortunately, I believe they have now dropped it. I think there are a lot of "standard" bikes out there, but they have evolved into more modern looking bikes.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #74
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
I had a CB550. It was great. And you could work on the engine without removing a car's worth of plastic. They were lighter. No amount of composites in the fairing are lighter than not having one.
You're gonna love this shot of my best buddy's 1975 CB550F, in that case. Original paint, too..

And here's my old 1978 CB750, which I sold to a friend a few years ago. It may well be the greatest standard motorcycle of all time, and there's still many of them around and available for restoration...

My FZ1 is pretty darn close to being a modern-day UJM, or 'standard'. There are days when I'm tempted to strip off the quarter-fairing and install a big ol' round headlight, however...

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #75
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,981
Quote:
What happened to all the "Standard" Motorcycles, with a visible (and powerful) engine, neutral and comfortable seating position, normal handlebars, without tons of plastic. The few that exist are selling great (New Bonneville, as well as the Thruxton).

Even the old Harley Sportster's count. The new ones (except the XR models) are still really low, cruiser style.

What about all the old UJM's? The original SOHC Honda 4's were great. They looked good, handled well, were fast (for their day, and still hold up today.), and fun. I had a CB550. It was great. And you could work on the engine without removing a car's worth of plastic. They were lighter. No amount of composites in the fairing are lighter than not having one.

Or the old Airheads. They looked great. No fairing needed. Some of the newer BMWs are okay, but still not great.

Do people just not like these anymore?

I know what you mean. I hate the look of bikes covered in plastic and love the simplicity /looks of an air cooled engine. I literally waited years to buy a new bike in hopes that one of the Japanese manufacturers would bring over something like this....

It never happened and I got tired of waiting so I picked up a Sportster. I love the bike and it has treated me damn well yet I still can't help but long for a 400-650 cc classically styled Japanese standard.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote