User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #151
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,765
Detroit Diesel? I'm not familiar with that engine.
If the offer to repower a motor home for a grand is real - take it! What I'm working would cost TONS more than $1k (or it should).

Here are a few photos of where I am now:

I still have a long ways to go but at least she runs.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #152
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post

Just a random pic I found on the web. If I did it, I'd use a Cummins, like you did.

Quote:
If the offer to repower a motor home for a grand is real - take it! What I'm working would cost TONS more than $1k (or it should).
No, shit. The guy is a gold mine. He completely redid the air brakes on my Rockwood in 2002 for $400.

But I think my brother has successfully talked me out of it. I shopped around for motors yesterday and most were around $4-5K. As he pointed out, unless I'm doing 50K miles a year, or pulling a significant load (neither of which are true) the payoff over the 413 is never going to happen. It's a good motor, and by all accounts it moves the Travco down the road just fine. And you can buy an awful lot of gasoline for $7-8K.

Great thread. I'm impressed by your work!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #153
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:

I am probably stating the obvious to you, but do not underestimate the heat that going to radiate from that turbo and exhaust elbow. You will need extra shielding to protect your dog house, and dash areas inside the cab. Heat soak will deform all the plastic and make riding in the passenger seat uncomfortable.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #154
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

That's why this is on my list:

Turbo heat shield.

But, the exhaust manifolds were right in the same area. Yes, the front seats would get a bit warm in the summer but not unbearable.

Diesel RV build

Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #155
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Just a random pic I found on the web. If I did it, I'd use a Cummins, like you did.

!
That is exackly how my Motorhome sounds when I crank it up. And it takes off about that fast too!

The parts I did my repower with costt me $10K. I did all the work myself and there is no way I would do it again for someone else for a measley $1000.

Glad to hear your van is actually running.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #156
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,126
Quote:
You work for $1/hour, right?

Nice work Joz. Are you going to have her ready in time for the trials at Pawnee (2nd weekend in November)?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #157
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

More like a dollar a day!

Hmmm...... First weekend in November? Hopefully!

Diesel RV build

Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #158
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

All is good in the world. I just picked up my new/modified drive shaft tonight. Pretty much right after getting home I got it all bolted up and ...... she moved under her own power for the first time in a little over 2 months! AWESOME!

I still have quite a bit to do. The big thing is the brake booster. I planned on replacing the vacuum brake booster but hoped to kick that rock down the road a little. A few nights ago I finally hooked up my new vacuum pump only to find that it just couldn't recover adequate vacuum fast enough. So I'll be ordering a new hydraulic brake booster and getting that installed when I get paid. There's always something!

Diesel RV build

Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #159
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
A few nights ago I finally hooked up my new vacuum pump only to find that it just couldn't recover adequate vacuum fast enough. So I'll be ordering a new hydraulic brake booster and getting that installed when I get paid. There's always something!
Once you get it rolling, take it out to an empty parking lot and see how much effort it takes to stop that beast with no hydraulic assist. If something happens, such as a line leak, pump failure, or engine shutdown (out of fuel, even), you won't have any reserve for the assist and will be muscling the brake pedal to stop.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #160
tomfoolery
procrastinator

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Once you get it rolling, take it out to an empty parking lot and see how much effort it takes to stop that beast with no hydraulic assist. If something happens, such as a line leak, pump failure, or engine shutdown (out of fuel, even), you won't have any reserve for the assist and will be muscling the brake pedal to stop.
The hydraulic boost system has an accumulator on it to hold boost pressure for a few stops just like a vacuum system. It actually has more power for braking normally and is used on alot of GM gas and diesel trucks (hydro-boost) and on the Cummins diesel in Dodge truck from about '97 or '98 on. It is a compact system and should work pretty well on this conversion.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #161
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery View Post
The hydraulic boost system has an accumulator on it to hold boost pressure for a few stops just like a vacuum system. It actually has more power for braking normally and is used on alot of GM gas and diesel trucks (hydro-boost) and on the Cummins diesel in Dodge truck from about '97 or '98 on. It is a compact system and should work pretty well on this conversion.
I have it in my '97 Dodge, it does just fine.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #162
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
On several of my diesels my vacuum pumps are bolted to the back the alternator and driven off the Alt shaft.
No need for an electric vacuum pump. But if you want go that way, I hear the ones used on Cadillacs are the best.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #163
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Thanks guys but the hydraulic brake booster has been shipped. I doubt I'll get it until Monday but that's okay. It was in my plan anyway - just not this early on.

Diesel RV build

Old 10-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #164
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Well, just shy of 3 months to the day and I finally christened my RV for her inaugural run. Hydraulic brake booster is installed - although the pedal sits too high. What a tremendous difference in pedal feel!
My friends insisted that I christen her like is done for ships. They brought a Miller since it is the "Champagne of Beers"!

My first stop at the pump

and that's not even full!

I spent the rest of the afternoon driving around like a teenager who just got his license! It was awesome! I can actually keep up with traffic. I found my foot a bit into it a few too many times. Man, that thing can move now. SWEET!
It was a lot of work and I'm no where close to done but at least I can now enjoy using it again. The "butt dyno" clearly says this was the right combination of engine, transmission, differential and tire size. I still need to do some serious noise dampening but I expected that. Now onto the next phase of fun!

Here's about the only hint that I actually put her under load tonight:

The next major test will be to run up "Floyd Hill". Where I-70 leaves Denver heading west and UP into the mountains. Starts at better than 5000 feet and probably climbs 3000 or more in about 20 miles or so. We'll see how she does.

Diesel RV build

Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #165
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,853
Congratulations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: