Any more updates?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #272
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Any more updates?
He just posted in another thread that he was camping with it and had driven 1500 trouble-free miles.

He got lots of these:
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #273
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,840
Just now home after 10 days and just about 4000 miles. No problems. The quick math shows that I'm saving an average of 22 cents per mile over the gas drive line. The power is AWESOME!!!! Set the cruise control and forget it. Max speed is about 82 or 83mph. My flux capacitor isn't working so there's no real reason to push it any faster. I sure loved the looks on people's faces when I was passing them up some of the long hills in Tennessee. Lots of fun!

I'll get a few photos posted once I recover from the trip!

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
[SIZE=2]
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #274
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Just now home after 10 days and just about 4000 miles. No problems. The quick math shows that I'm saving an average of 22 cents per mile over the gas drive line. The power is AWESOME!!!! Set the cruise control and forget it. Max speed is about 82 or 83mph. My flux capacitor isn't working so there's no real reason to push it any faster. I sure loved the looks on people's faces when I was passing them up some of the long hills in Tennessee. Lots of fun!

I'll get a few photos posted once I recover from the trip!
Awesome!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #275
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Damn what a good read I'm more than impressed with you pulling that engine more than 2x Way to go man, that's stuff I like reading about and not doing!

Awesome swap.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #276
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Seeing it in person is pretty cool, the beast is a total sleeper with only only evidence of greatness being a wee bit if stain around the tail pipe.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #277
captnpuget
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Love it

Nice project. I did mine with a 1995 Freightliner fl70 GVW was 28,500....5.9 cummins and allison at 545. I took both axles,steering box and master cyl and brake sysytem from freighliner and put under my motorhome. 1978 Georgie boy Luxury Liner 2 34 foot GVW 16,000 After conversion I weigh 15380 with 45 gal of fuel. Runs good, and lots of power. Had to change rear gears to 3:71` from 4:63. Now she goes 70 plus. Getting 11 to 13 MPG depending on terrain and my foot.
captnpuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #278
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,241
Joz,

What a great late-night read!
I recoiled in horror, I laughed, I cried, I laughed again, and cried again. . . and laughed! But most importantly, I drank heartily thru the entire read and had a blast (at your expense, literally and figuratively!).

Thanks, and thanks again. I hope to see you and your incredible RV someday - last time i saw you was at Pawnee, and you all were in a smaller motorhome, with trials bikes and pistols!

Cam
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #279
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
you sir are Job. The Biblical Job

cheers
And smart too, not just persevering. I can't express how I feel about a single Dad pulling off this admirable and difficult conversion job that Job could never had did.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #280
rebar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Second time Iv read this.. Bravo! Hows it running?
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #281
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,840
The RV is running great. It's getting the brake system totally redone right now. I probably have about 25k miles on it since the conversion and still loving it.
Funny to see this thread revived though. Thought it was long forgotten by now.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
[SIZE=2]
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #282
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
The RV is running great. It's getting the brake system totally redone right now. I probably have about 25k miles on it since the conversion and still loving it.
Funny to see this thread revived though. Thought it was long forgotten by now.
Your work on this project is what makes me giddy when I see E350 Gas van on sale cheap. I know in the back of my head that it's possible to shove a 6BT in them :)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #283
dieselpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Awesome job! One thing to watch, the pin holes in #4 cylinder was most likely caused by cavitation. This occurs with poor quality, or non diesel coolant. This is more common on wet liner engines. As the compression engines create "shock waves" in the coolant every power stroke, causing the cavitation. Coolant maintenance is critical on diesels, and Cummins offers coolant filters, and head assemblies for the 5.9.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #284
Ridgway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Awesome project! I just bought a 1989 Ford Born Free 24 footer, and I'm going to do the same swap (thanks to you Joz!)

Did you have to replace the front springs or do an alignment? Do you know what the weight difference is?

I want to use the same transmission as you because you proved it works. How difficult was it to find the stock clutch pedal assembly? Did you ever think about using a billit clutch pedal/master for a race car? I wonder if that would be better or easier to install?

I was going to use aftermarket gauges but yours looks super clean. Was it difficult to do or would it be easier to go aftermarket?

I might have missed it, but what mpg are you getting after all the motor issues were fixed?

Sorry about all the questions but there aren't many people who have does this swap, and with such success!
Ridgway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #285
TARider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Diesel Coolant Cavitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpete View Post
Awesome job! One thing to watch, the pin holes in #4 cylinder was most likely caused by cavitation. This occurs with poor quality, or non diesel coolant. This is more common on wet liner engines. As the compression engines create "shock waves" in the coolant every power stroke, causing the cavitation. Coolant maintenance is critical on diesels, and Cummins offers coolant filters, and head assemblies for the 5.9.
Quoted from Turbo Diesel Registry:

Q1: I’ve often heard the term “cavitation erosion” in the same sentence as diesel engine. What is cavitation erosion?

A1 With a term like “cavitation erosion,” you might think those affected would be found in the waiting room at your dentist’s office. Not so. Cavitation erosion or liner pitting, if left unchecked, is a real issue with some diesel engines. Okay, I guess there is a parallel to your dental hygiene. A cavity is a cavity, and both types can drain money from your wallet.

To further clarify the issue, you may have noted that the cavitation erosion is an issue with some diesel engines. Which ones? All diesel engines with wet sleeves are subject to cavitation erosion or liner pitting if the cooling system is not properly maintained. The wet sleeve design means the cylinder liner can be removed and replaced in the block. Although the cylinder liners are pressed into the block, wet cylinder liner design does not have the same structural rigidity as a cast block design.Under-concentration of coolant treatment additives will result in liner pitting and engine failure.

The Cummins B5.9 and 6.7 liter engines are a cast block design and do not have wet or removable sleeves.

To add further explanation to the liner pitting phenomenon, I’ll quote from a Cummins Inc. Cooling System brochure. “Liner pitting is caused by vapor bubbles formed when the piston strikes the liner during engine operation. The energy generated during the combustion process and the side-to-side motion of the piston causes the liner to vibrate at a very high frequency. The liner moves away from the coolant fast enough to form vapor bubbles.

“The vapor bubbles collapse against the liner surface as the liner moves back into the coolant. The implosion of the vapor bubble against the liner surface produces a very high velocity jet of water. This water jet removes material from the liner surface. The jet of water acts on the liner surface with a pressure exceeding 15,000 psi. This process repeats again and again, resulting in liner pitting.”

Q2: Is cavitation erosion or liner pitting a concern on my Turbo Diesel?

A2: No. Again, the Cummins B5.9 and 6.7 liter engines are a cast block design and liner pitting is not a concern.
2004 XR400R E-Start
TARider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: