Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Budget some money for sound deadening & insulation, and budget some time for the Killer Dowel Pin Remedy: it has to do with a dowel pin in the timing gear case that can fall out & if you're lucky, end up harmlessly in the oil pan. If you're not so lucky, it gets caught in the gear train & trashes it.

IDK about the dowel pin thing but that is a good point about the noise. These are great engines but as an old friend of mine said as one was running. That thing sounds like two turtles fucking in a bathtub. And it will be right under you. Most was at Idle or hard pulls though.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,818
I know better than to really think I can pull this off for three grand but it's good to have a goal. I think I can get it all together and running for $3K but a project like this may never really end!

Homemade KDP (killer dowel pin) retaining plate already in place.

Real world mileage averages 6.45. I'm not guessing - I use a mileage tracking app on my phone and I'm religious about using it for all my vehicles. The usable power with the current 460 SUCKS! It's not uncommon on some of the long grades around here for me to have to peg out the old 460 in second gear at 45mph just to climb a hill. And hills aren't the only enemy. Wind really does a number on performance. This is the 3rd RV that I've owned. I've worked on many more and class C's all seem to be under powered and very thirsty. I wouldn't mind the lack of power if the engines were a bit more thrifty with fuel. Yes, yes I could shell out ~$80,000 and get a sprinter based RV but I'd have to drive that thing for 54 years before I came close to breaking even on the fuel I'd save.
I seem to own them for about 8 years each. I average about 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year which doesn't sound like much but for casual RVing that's respectable. Even with fuel prices the way they are I figure I'll break even in a little over 2 years. And, really, if nothing else it's just a cool and fun project.

I have been thinking about what I can do about the noise, but the existing setup is pretty loud anyway. Honestly, I was pretty surprised at how quiet this engine is (for an American diesel).

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 06:00 AM
Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I know better than to really think I can pull this off for three grand but it's good to have a goal. I think I can get it all together and running for $3K but a project like this may never really end!

Homemade KDP (killer dowel pin) retaining plate already in place.

Real world mileage is about 6.5. I'm not guessing - I use a mileage tracking app on my phone and I'm religious about using it for all my vehicles. The usable power with the current 460 SUCKS! It's not uncommon on some of the long grades around here for me to have to peg out the old 460 in second gear at 45mph just to climb a hill. And hills aren't the only enemy. Wind really does a number on performance. This is the 3rd RV that I've owned. I've worked on many more and class C's all seem to be under powered and very thirsty. I wouldn't mind the lack of power if the engines were a bit more thrifty with fuel. Yes, yes I could shell out ~$80,000 and get a sprinter based RV but I'd have to drive that thing for 54 years before I came close to breaking even on the fuel I'd save.
I seem to own them for about 8 years each. I average about 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year which doesn't sound like much but for casual RVing that's respectable. Even with fuel prices the way they are I figure I'll break even in a little over 2 years. And, really, if nothing else it's just a cool and fun project.

I have been thinking about what I can do about the noise, but the existing setup is pretty loud anyway. Honestly, I was pretty surprised at how quiet this engine is (for an American diesel).

My only real RV experience was about 18 years ago. I got a divorce and gave everything away and bought a 34' Pace Arrow class A. I loved it and done it for about 4 years although I've got to say even now they are still built like shit as far as finish. The best I had was a 59 air stream solid oak cabinets and everything. Sorry Hijack off lets se this thing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #19
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
About 15 years ago, I repowered an M43 ambulance with a Hercules turbodiesel and was simply stunned by the increase in noise: earplugs were mandatory to avoid tinnitus, and even while wearing them I used to wonder if this was what a Warbird sounded like on takeoff.

Now, I realize these two vehicles are hardly comparable in many pertinent ways, but the point I'm trying to make is be prepared to have to deal with a surprising amount of racket-- especially with the back half of the engine in the cab with you.

I'm also not trying to piss in your Wheaties, I'm just trying to pass on the warning I wish I would have gotten. I think your project is a great idea (that M43 got 25 mpg at 60 mph).

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #20
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,004
Looks like this build will be worth hanging around for.

Good luck with the project.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #21
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Subscribed
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #22
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,777
I love these kind of projects!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,354
Another wrenching in your driveway thread - welcome.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Another wrenching in your driveway thread - welcome.
Not all of us can have a fancy ol' big city garage to work in!

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
I'm sure you can get it done. But you can buy a lot of gas for what it is going to cost you esp. if you're time is worth anything if the 460 is still strong. Not sure what you had in the old dodge But I've sold burned up complete cores for $1000.00 just for the engine. Good luck. I'll be watching this one.

With nearly double the fuel mileage out of the Cummins it would be worth it vs buying a new camper or just simply not using it anymore and letting it sit. The ability to run the Cummins on bio diesel also makes it worth it to me.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
forget the hydro boost, use a vacuum pump to power the brakes since the ac controls are probably also vacuum powered, you will need a tank for additional safety
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #27
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
Subscribed
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
Joz OP
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
forget the hydro boost, use a vacuum pump to power the brakes since the ac controls are probably also vacuum powered, you will need a tank for additional safety

True, but I can get a new 12VDC vacuum pump for $50 to run all the HVAC stuff & cruise control. With a vehicle this size I'd rather have a more positive brake feel than the vacuum booster. It does okay, but sure seems like the right time to make it right.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,494
Awesome project Joz!

I don't know how the cummins diesel compares, but the International in my van is loud, but it's not that loud.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #30
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,216
Looks like a cool build. You may want to check out this forum for parts, advice, etc.:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

They concentrate on the Cummins 4BT engine (the 4-cylinder version of your 6) but there's info on swapping just about any diesel you can think of into any vehicle you can think of. There are lots of build threads which probably include info you'd find useful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: