Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 03:29 PM   #1
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,941
2015 ktm 500 exc

After my WR250R sold (quickly!) something followed me home

Here she is in all her glory. Orange frame and all. man...thats allot of Orange!

After 3 heat cycles where I rode the bike for 20-30 minutes it was ready for it's first oil change. For break in rides I followed the book, which is really vague. Something about not exceeding 75% throttle and less than 7000rpm. Hard to do with no tach and no real way to gauge the amount of throttle. Either way, lots a varied throttle application. Used allot of engine braking and acceleration to seat the rings. Somewhere between 7-8/10ths riding and the motorman break in method. I'm sure I did't over rev it, not did I slam the throttle open. Here is what she looks like before her first diaper change

Tools of the trade:

Drained the plug first:

Plug looks alright for a first oil change. My GS looked worse...

Screen has a few flakes. Nothing alarming, although now that I look at these pictures it looks much worse - lol

Clean it up with hot water and compressed air

I completely forgot to take a picture of the bottom screen. nothing really in it at all.

Drain and remove the oil filter. Nothing shimmery, but I didn't perform a dissection

Pop all the plugs back in and time to fill er up. must lay it on its side for this operation. about 1/3 full, then drop in the filter. Methinks it avoids the crushing some experienced when not doing this. just out the bar end on a stand.

It you don't want to be a hop-along rabbit, you gotta balance the front wheel. at some point i'll change the lead weight KTM calls a rim lock. It needed 3 1/4 oz to balance

We're going old skool with solder weights. Mostly because I had a ton of it and my spoke weights don't fit over the nipple.

Next. some seat concepts action

Tools for the just. Stainless T50 1/4" staples and a surebonder air stapler. It's installed 2 seat covers so it's officially paid for itself.

For the ADHD crowd, hot to install a seat in a minute

Next, grips and KTM hardparts handguards

The original grips are really bonded. it's insane...i had to peel it like a banana!

No glory shots of the work, but i derailed the ends. These are Progrip 714s and they have a closed end. I use the bushing for the hand guard as a guide. Just snug on the non-throttle side and loose on the throttle side. As a side note, you need to open the throttle tube up. I used the dremel for that as well. Also, might as well grease up the throttle tube now.

You can see the looser fit on the throttle side. I use good ole hair spray as grip glue. I also safety wire the grips as an added measure. I've never had them slip.

Nest the quick release skid plate

It provides pretty good coverage. I think it'll do a good job. I was surprised at how stiff it actually was. I will be drilling the plate and bracket for safety wire where the dzeus fastener is as added measure of caution.

Out with the old (ish) and in with the new

I did confirm with a rep from Dirttricks that the MSR branded one is identical. In fact, the dirt tricks logo is etched into the sprocket. Apparently they also stopped calling them iron man sprockets because of the copyright on the movie/comics.

Must add a dab of blue locktite to all the bolts and torque to spec.

The money shot!

Someone approves of the work so far!

...more to come...

Attico screwed with this post Today at 04:09 PM
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #2
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
New bikes are fun! If I had to break in my 13 again, I'd run dino oil for a few hundred more miles. Same taste in additions down to the same grips on all my bikes. Todays addition to my 13 is SX throttle body and BDSbikes 'grunt' exhaust flange....keep changing things nearly 2 years later :-)

So few days of bringing home a new bike, enjoy!
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 PM   #3
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Let us know how that sx throttle body works. Would be nice to hear from someone thats done the cam to.
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #4
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

I debated whether to run synthetic or dino. the manual spec-ed 10w50 motorex power cross so that's what i put in. They've gone back to a plain bearing from rollers for durability; I assume that also kills the rumour about the silver coated bearings which made motorex a requirement (unsure of the years for those, maybe '13/'14?)

I'll keep running motorex for now. I'm hoping and doing everything i can to avoid oil consumption. Any engine I've ever broken have never burned oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
New bikes are fun! If I had to break in my 13 again, I'd run dino oil for a few hundred more miles. Same taste in additions down to the same grips on all my bikes. Todays addition to my 13 is SX throttle body and BDSbikes 'grunt' exhaust flange....keep changing things nearly 2 years later :-)

So few days of bringing home a new bike, enjoy!
Old Today, 05:50 PM   #5
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 1,047
Laugh

How's that Orange Kool Aid going down?

Sounds like you're drinking doubles.

Now gimme back my lock wire.
Old Today, 06:33 PM   #6
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Ive tried the orange koolaid and it tastes pretty good. Looks like it will be easier to work on then a suzuki and so far no more maintenance. Alittle tall for me but so far thats my only complaint after a year. Any company can make bikes like this but only KTM and Husaberg/Husqvarna are doing it right now.
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #7
Attico OP
Wrong way 'round

I think you're right. So far it's really easy to work on. It seems to be built with serviceability in mind. At some point I realized I was maintaining my Yamaha like a ktm...very regular oil changes. Going over it and doing preventative work. So far so good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danptobin View Post
Ive tried the orange koolaid and it tastes pretty good. Looks like it will be easier to work on then a suzuki and so far no more maintenance. Alittle tall for me but so far thats my only complaint after a year. Any company can make bikes like this but only KTM and Husaberg/Husqvarna are doing it right now.