Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #1486
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Meg wants to go tomorrow, but I put her off till Friday, I'll be working hard trying to keep the kid wonder (my nephew) in line as he howls at my pain the way we howled at his tire changing ability.

Let see pics of the 5.3 tank Toddles.

Antonchu, we need to talk, I do like the idea of extra volume and cooling. Thing is I've never done anything like that and don't know how all that would effect oil pressures, haven't looked into any of that yet and would hate to get it wrong.

Harcus, do you know the specs on the filtration on that one, the ones we were finding are 35 micron.
Not a clue. I'll stop by A'zone & see if it is on the package.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #1487
Karreforest
RR is too safe

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
is the only FULL titanium setup

FMF FACTORY 4.1 RCT FULL SYSTEM? They claim it to be fully titanium and a weight of only 6 lbs / 3 Kg.

Both Yoshimura and Pro Circuit have to other KTMs like the 350 and 530. So they should launch a system to the 500 soon.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #1488
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,329
I received my HDB Rally Frame

Do you guys want to see a step by step build up as I build it on the bike?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #1489
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Mine is ready.

Mine is all ready. I have the FMF 4.1 on it and it seems quieter than my 530 with the 4.1. I don't like the spark arrestor removal procedure though. I had SMS Racing revalve and spring the suspension for me. They do an great job. I had all of the stuff that normally breaks off replaced before it left out the door. I get to spend two weeks on it starting Monday in Colorado. I'll let you know how I liked it later. From the little time I put on it, the power is awesome. It doesn't have the initial hit the 530 had but it has more roll on power. We will see how this translates. I put 14/48 sprockets on, this is what I had on my 530. I'm taking a 13 and a 50 with me. I will see what works best for me. I have the KTM Powerparts grippy seat on my race bike and love it. I put one on this as well.

FMF Power Bomb... I have had problem with titanium headers in the past. When they get hot and water hits them, and then a rock the header cracks.

I put an under bar stabilizer on and my favorite Ricky Carmichael Bars.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....

iphorde screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 11:09 AM
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #1490
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

So what's it do?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #1491
Geek
oot & aboot

It's a rally cockpit... giving you lots of space for roadbooks, gps's, etc.. as well as giving you lots of lighting options.

All pieces are aluminum (anodized black) and the thing is amazingly strong (as witnessed last Wednesday when I watched Paul cartwheel his bike end over end )

As you can see in this photo, the bar risers actually bolt with 4 12mm bolts to the upper triple clamp making them incredibly stout:

Between the risers (of which they have different heights available) you can see the adjustable damper mount

The system is designed so that you can run one headlight, or two. You can run it with your stock fairing or a rally fairing (which they don't have done yet). For now I'm going to replace my stock headlight with a single Squadron unit and get rid of the pathetic excuse for a stock headlight; then I'll consider going with two squadrons or maybe a stryker and a squadron after they have the full fairing available.

Either way... I'm excited about doing some night riding now instead of fearing it with the stock candle

The squadron mount has a precise fit spacer with an boss built in for the anti-slip ring. You torque it down tight, the ring is made to crush out the right amount:

Here you can see I have the squadron mounted in the middle hole in the bottom location. Both mounting locations have 3 different mounting points giving lots of adjustability/tuneability depending on what you are using for lights

This is the backing plate for the squadron that allows mounting it to my stock 500's headlight mask

This spacer/re-enforcement ring is aluminum

Lots of cockpit space for roadbook, etc

...to be continued.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #1492
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
1st oil change

Hey, I'm doing the 1 hour service. For the oil should I go with the 10/60 Motorex recommended oil or something else? Also, should I start synthetic or wait until the 15 hour service when it's broken in a little more. I've heard to let the rings set before going synthetic. Not sure if that's true or not.

I'm also not trying to start an oil debate just wanting some good advice to get the most out of this engine. If it means spending more I'll do it but if it's not worth it then why waste the money? Some have suggested buying the oil at autozone but there is not an autozone, oreilly, or napa in my area that carries 10/50 or 10/60.
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #1493
Geek
oot & aboot

p.s. this gives you a bit of an idea of what it will look like with dual headlights and the rally fairing (though this is a rough mold and not what the real thing will look like)

Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #1494
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Interesting project, 'looking forward to its progression...

To me, the 500 is the new 640/690.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #1495
Karreforest
RR is too safe

Oddometer: 33
Price? I'm building my in 3 directions. Rally, supermoto and endruo. So far, on the Rally front, I only got the RB and Trip. Need everything else.

Quote:

Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1496
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
p.s. this gives you a bit of an idea of what it will look like with dual headlights and the rally fairing (though this is a rough mold and not what the real thing will look like)

I like the white!
Happy Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #1497
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Hey, I'm doing the 1 hour service. For the oil should I go with the 10/60 Motorex recommended oil or something else? Also, should I start synthetic or wait until the 15 hour service when it's broken in a little more. I've heard to let the rings set before going synthetic. Not sure if that's true or not.

I'm also not trying to start an oil debate just wanting some good advice to get the most out of this engine. If it means spending more I'll do it but if it's not worth it then why waste the money? Some have suggested buying the oil at autozone but there is not an autozone, oreilly, or napa in my area that carries 10/50 or 10/60.
Okay, went to the dealer and owner suggested this. Said 10w60 not necessary and fully synthetic will wear out the clutch faster. Said this is what he runs in all his bikes and has always had good luck. What do ya'll think?

jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #1498
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Okay, went to the dealer and owner suggested this. Said 10w60 not necessary and fully synthetic will wear out the clutch faster. Said this is what he runs in all his bikes and has always had good luck. What do ya'll think?
Not to start an oil thread but...

The bike comes from the factory with fully synthetic oil in it. The recommended Motorex oil is fully synthetic.
I think the KTM engineers have a pretty good idea of what works well with the motors they designed.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #1499
Geek
oot & aboot

I picked up the 13 liter tank and new springs front and rear today as well

Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #1500
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
That is way cool!! Keep us in the loop as you go forward with this

Quote:
It's a rally cockpit... giving you lots of space for roadbooks, gps's, etc.. as well as giving you lots of lighting options.

All pieces are aluminum (anodized black) and the thing is amazingly strong (as witnessed last Wednesday when I watched Paul cartwheel his bike end over end )

As you can see in this photo, the bar risers actually bolt with 4 12mm bolts to the upper triple clamp making them incredibly stout:

Between the risers (of which they have different heights available) you can see the adjustable damper mount

The system is designed so that you can run one headlight, or two. You can run it with your stock fairing or a rally fairing (which they don't have done yet). For now I'm going to replace my stock headlight with a single Squadron unit and get rid of the pathetic excuse for a stock headlight; then I'll consider going with two squadrons or maybe a stryker and a squadron after they have the full fairing available.

Either way... I'm excited about doing some night riding now instead of fearing it with the stock candle

The squadron mount has a precise fit spacer with an boss built in for the anti-slip ring. You torque it down tight, the ring is made to crush out the right amount:

Here you can see I have the squadron mounted in the middle hole in the bottom location. Both mounting locations have 3 different mounting points giving lots of adjustability/tuneability depending on what you are using for lights

This is the backing plate for the squadron that allows mounting it to my stock 500's headlight mask

This spacer/re-enforcement ring is aluminum

Lots of cockpit space for roadbook, etc

...to be continued.
empedrado is online now   Reply With Quote