Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #1531
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Got the bike back together and went for a ride

Here's what the rally frame looks like with two squadrons in it (and my horn mounted up nicely to the existing hole ) :

I may have missed it, but do you have a weight measurement on that rally frame?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #1532
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:

Here's what the rally frame looks like with two squadrons in it (and my horn mounted up nicely to the existing hole ) :

FYI, Geek.
I have that same tank. At the aft end where the pump electrical IF is located, watch the (4) screws. This tank does NOT have the metal inserts that the OEM tank had (at least mine didn't). If you use the screws from the OEM tank and you pull the pump a few times like I did, you will soon find them stripping. I put in longer screws to get more engagement. And save the tank...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #1533
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Fresh Air Thingy...

Hey all,

I have been trolling this thread (hoping to get me a 500 EXC) and thought I would let you in on what I did for my smog pump stuff. I have a '09 CRF450X plated in Ga and love it but the 500 seems to be what I am trying to build my bike into (I know I know...) anyways, the fresh air thing on your bike seems to be the exact same as mine.

I wanted to "look" legal to any Ranger I come across as some out here are being educated as to look for smog equipment removal. The item that lets fresh air in and the dreaded decel pop is the little silver box on the side of the motor and if you open it you will find a metal reed valve. I removed the reed valve and filled both sides of the "box" with Permatex High Temp RTV Silicone. Once the two sides are put back togehter there is no way anything is going anywhere, air or otherwise. This effectively does the same as removal but will pass any visual inspection by Johnny Law.

Just an FYI... later

Dave Morgan
Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #1534
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,668
Range Patrol

In NW Florida we are lucky to be able to ride the Eglin AFB reservation by exploiting a loop hole which allows plated vehicles in open for hunting and rec. We get stopped by Range Patrol OFTEN since motorcycles are always suspect.

Over the years the Range folks have gotten to know me and other ADV riders pretty well and no longer give us the hassel of showing all the paper work etc.

The last time I was stopped the Range cop (a really nice guy) asked "I see motorcycles all over the streets and have never seen an organge bike, yet out on the range I have never seen anything BUT and orange bike. What gives?"

I told him orange bikes were built for dirt roads and not pavement but were fully street legal. He told us to enjoy and be safe.

We are lucky to have this area to ride, and the range guys wouldn't know de-smogged bike from one low on blinker fluid.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #1535
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:

Very nice!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #1536
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Vico1,

I saw your post earlier about being in the Ft. Walton area. The family and I just got back from Eglin visiting my nephew this last Saturday, we were there for a week and I would have loved to get in touch to check your bike out, but oh-well. And sunama-biatch did it rain when we got there...

The reason I mentioned the Ranger stuff is if you haven't read some posts from Yanni23 about a year or so ago he got royally shafted by "The Man". A couple of fed's took his dualsport adventure tour then busted his arse for all kinds of stuff. Now whether you agree with his modus operandi or not is each persons outlook. BUT, if I remember correctly he was banned from federal property for a year (this includes national parks), taken to court, had his business shutdown and other associated stuff.

Enough blathering on my part, I just love my Country but fear my Government...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #1537
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,838
Any link to where I can read about yanni's problems?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1538
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Lemme look, I can probably find it...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #1539
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,668
Quote:
I would be interested also.

BTW - We had some great riding during that storm... rain only packs the sand and removes the dust.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #1540
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW!...

I am having a lot of trouble finding the particulars, a bunch of stuff has been "removed" from other sites.

But you can find a little at http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/813958-where-is-yanni/

I don't want to open any old wounds with this as I thought he was a great guy and he helped me out a lot with information and such. He was on numerous sites not just advrider, and basically his signature was an unpaid advertisement, so he got grief from moderators for that, a couple of feds were tipped off to him running a business with no license, so he got really busted for that. He ran some serious dual sport rides that were an absolute blast!..

I have fallen off the whole web thing for a while as I have been busy with life and all so I don't know the exact outcome.

I can pm you guys what I know and have seen but I don't want to gum up this thread...

Aloha-Y'all
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #1541
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
I may have missed it, but do you have a weight measurement on that rally frame?
Bad phone pic, but with everything you see, the damper, med lowers, comp protector and fasteners, it's just under 6lbs.

Let me know what you'd like to see the weight of and I'll weigh it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSchmenge View Post
The reason I mentioned the Ranger stuff is if you haven't read some posts from Yanni23 about a year or so ago he got royally shafted by "The Man". A couple of fed's took his dualsport adventure tour then busted his arse for all kinds of stuff. Now whether you agree with his modus operandi or not is each persons outlook. BUT, if I remember correctly he was banned from federal property for a year (this includes national parks), taken to court, had his business shutdown and other associated stuff..
I remember reading about that while they were going about sanitizing it, i'd be reading it one minute, the next something would go missing. I enjoyed Yanni's RR's.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1542
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Bad phone pic, but with everything you see, the damper, med lowers, comp protector and fasteners, it's just under 6lbs.
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul
Let me know what you'd like to see the weight of and I'll weigh it.
Haha, yes, sure, but the real question is, will it blend?

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #1543
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,838
that's the full weight including risers, clamps, etc... so subtract the weight of your stock stuff to find out how much weight you are adding.

Just the addition of the side plates and braces weigh very little (since I already had all the other stuff on my bike )
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #1544
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWATDOC View Post
Couple things - Just Gas Tanks does have the new Acerbis tanks in stock for the EXC/XCW 350's and 500's - my 3 gallon model is on the way via UPS right now - plus you can get them in black, which is what I ordered.

On the ECU mapping - the KTM part numbers for the EXC ECU and the XCW ECU are exactly the same. Only difference is the mapping the dealer installs. I'm guessing the ECU's come from the factory "blank", and the dealer is responsible for installing the appropriate map.

The map you want to get is for the european EXC 500, which is unrestricted. The map number is: KM787EU12C0601.
I have a copy and can email it to anyone who wants. The issue will be trying to find a dealer to install it for you.
Please send it to me. avconnect@comcast.net
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #1545
Rock-Yot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
probably a dumb question but where can i buy the white body work?
Rock-Yot is offline   Reply With Quote