Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #1666
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
anyone know where to get a meter to adjust the tps setting?

thanks
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #1667
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,068
Check out ktm talk ,there're a thead on how to make a tps checking tool , I,ll see if I can find it and post a link
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #1668
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,626
I finally got the 500 out into the mountains to give it a real ride. I can't wipe the stupid grin off of my face.

I'm really diggin' this bike

photo courtesy Hayduke... myself on the left, xdbx on the right

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #1669
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I finally got the 500 out into the mountains to give it a real ride. I can't wipe the stupid grin off of my face.

I'm really diggin' this bike

photo courtesy Hayduke... myself on the left, xdbx on the right

Yup, i've been riding my 500 on tight single track and indeed, it does leave a stupid grin on your face.

:p

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1670
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
Filter woes

1200 miles and experienced final filter problem. Lost power, bike would not take gas and I had to keep it at low throttle.

Removed filter (after some figuring I just pushed fuel tube off rather than fool with clamp) and then cleaned and replaced filter after talking with Munn racing in TX (stand up guys in my book). Have 20m filter kit coming.

Also ordered JD tuner. I saw a few threads on this back. Any updates on how they are doing etc. Worth the money?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1671
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
filter

if you are refering to the filter right up near the FI unti I would advise against putting one back in. Instead go with a good cleanable inline 10 micorn that has a large flow surface area.

Example -

these are the best thing since the Color Orange & Black. you can buy them HERE.

you want the Mini filter
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #1672
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
Thanks Abyss

That looks like a great set up. Routing a little different with that tank.

May I ask for more details cause Im lazy. Do you remember which one you bought (end size) and where" I cant seem to find one for sale? but then I not real sharp at anything past microfish ordering...

Great thread here and lots of help. Thanks all.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #1673
ABYSS
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post

May I ask for more details cause Im lazy. Do you remember which one you bought (end size) and where" I cant seem to find one for sale? but then I not real sharp at anything past microfish ordering...

I'm out right now I'll get you details later this evening when
I get home. I replaced the line from the FI unit to
the quick disconnect I made it longer. Thats the only difference in
routing, guys on exc's and XCW's
have noted with original line it rubs at the QD A longer line in that section
fixes that. I secured it to the frame with a peice of spiral wrap to keep
It from swinging in the breeze. It's works fantastic and the
gas stays clean, plus it's cleanable on the trail if need be.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #1674
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
I did some single track in TN this past week and realized how wide my bars are . I've never cut down bar. Anyone done it to their 500 yet? Curious to hear the proper technique and how much ya can nip off?
There are many ways to do it.

This is how I do it. It may not be the "proper technique", but it works for me.

I use a hacksaw to cut down my bars. I clamp the bar down with a piece of angle on each side to guide the blade. I cut almost to the guideline, then use a file to clean up any unevenness.

Your cutoff amount will be limited by space for your controls.
If you are running barkbusters, make sure your cut still leaves room for the attachment hardware. Some bars have thicker walls near the center.

Measure twice cut once.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #1675
ABYSS
KTM

ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post

if you look below my pic in the above thread you will see the word HERE that is a link to golan directly. you want then 5/16 barbed supermini and about a 12 in section of new fuel line then tank the elbow shaped line off of the FWd fuel quick disconnecta and cut all but the bend then rrattach the quickdisconnect and then take the line off the Fi unit and replaxce wiht the new length of fuel line above. the decied how long you want it then reattached the quick disconnect. Dont forget to remove the fuel fiilter cone fromthe FI unit.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #1676
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Threre are 4 maps listed for the 500>>

USA, XCW > KM787US12C0701 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
USA, EXC > KM787US12C0651 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
Euro EXC, EXCF > KM787EU12C0651 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
Aus EXC, EXCF > KM787EU12C0701 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701

PowerParts for aftermarket Pipe and Silencer, USA, Euro, or Aus >KM787EU12C0701 (same as original Aus and all Unrestricted),
Notes: Slipon or Silencer set Akrapovic, SLS / EPC / HEGO OFF; Without catalytic converter

Looks like the Unrestricted EU...0701 is the ticket.

>>Edit, added models and 4th map<<<
I just installed the Aus/Unrestricted map (KM787EU12C0701) on my mostly stock 500EXC. It made a big difference. The engine picks up much quicker and hits much harder, huge improvement. I had to turn down the idle speed a lot, a good indication that there's more fuel available at idle. Before, when I started it up, it kind of puttered to life and took a while to settle down to a 'feathery' idle. Now it pops to life. Before it had a 'soft' throttle which made it very easy to ride on tight trails. Now it is like the aggressive setting, it takes only 1/8 throttle to do what 1/2 throttle did before. This bike is stock with the restrictive screen pulled from muffler tip.

Lots of bang for the very little buck. A dealer should only charge about 15min to do this. No need to do the 15min idle after a re-map with the single cylinder fuel injection, that's a mistake on part of the documentation, 15min idle would greatly overheat this engine. Just warm it up and ride it, the first time you get full throttle and full rpm it is set up.

Next, I'm plugging in the agressive/soft map plugs to see if these now have some effect with this map, which they don't have on the stock map. I may need the soft map now for tight trails.

Of course, you will request your dealer to perform this re-map for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. No doubt this will effect the mileage too.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #1677
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Remap hmmm

Completed the alpine loop including California pass and corkscrew pass. Stopped in lake city for BBQ. Saw a 990, 450, and 6 days, not sure which model, parked near us.
Very proud of my wife on her 230 to manage this ride. We were in the saddle for 5 hours. Seat concepts foam best $150 I have spent on bike.
I have averaged 60mpg so far and the altitude has really smoothed the bike out. Could have used a 50t on back but didn't need it. We road them from our camp in Ridgway down to the entrance in ouray. The whole loop, and came out between silverton and ouray. Road the million dollar hwy back to camp. Eight hours total.
I am curious to ride an xcw for the unrestricted map.
Not enough signal for pics. Will upload some next week.
Bike ran flawlessly up to 13700 at engineer pass.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #1678
ABYSS
KTM

Find some WIFI

and start a trip report ad UPLOAD pics!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #1679
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I just installed the Aus/Unrestricted map (KM787EU12C0701) on my mostly stock 500EXC. It made a big difference. The engine picks up much quicker and hits much harder, huge improvement. I had to turn down the idle speed a lot, a good indication that there's more fuel available at idle. Before, when I started it up, it kind of puttered to life and took a while to settle down to a 'feathery' idle. Now it pops to life. Before it had a 'soft' throttle which made it very easy to ride on tight trails. Now it is like the aggressive setting, it takes only 1/8 throttle to do what 1/2 throttle did before. This bike is stock with the restrictive screen pulled from muffler tip.

Lots of bang for the very little buck. A dealer should only charge about 15min to do this. No need to do the 15min idle after a re-map with the single cylinder fuel injection, that's a mistake on part of the documentation, 15min idle would greatly overheat this engine. Just warm it up and ride it, the first time you get full throttle and full rpm it is set up.

Next, I'm plugging in the agressive/soft map plugs to see if these now have some effect with this map, which they don't have on the stock map. I may need the soft map now for tight trails.

Of course, you will request your dealer to perform this re-map for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. No doubt this will effect the mileage too.

Good info, Zuber

You are going to do a full tank mileage test, are't you? In the interest of science, of course.

Note - Mileage ref points
- Stock EXC = 66 mpg
- JD Jetting box (stock) on EXC = 55 mpg (one full tank sample)

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #1680
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
if you look below my pic in the above thread you will see the word HERE that is a link to golan directly. you want then 5/16 barbed supermini and about a 12 in section of new fuel line then tank the elbow shaped line off of the FWd fuel quick disconnecta and cut all but the bend then rrattach the quickdisconnect and then take the line off the Fi unit and replaxce wiht the new length of fuel line above. the decied how long you want it then reattached the quick disconnect. Dont forget to remove the fuel fiilter cone fromthe FI unit.

Abyss
So, you removed the EL hose going into the throttle body & replaced it with a straight hose in a large sweeping radius - otherwise it is a rather tight turn.

Clean install.

Also, did you buy your filter direct from Golan?

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote