Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #1801
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
seat concepts 1" taller version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Tall seat options?

has anyone found a taller seat for the 500? I want to change the ratio of bars to seat to pegs by sitting higher.

Made an 8 hour day possible. Very soft though.

Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1802
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Call Jim @ XPC seats

Quote:
Tall seat options?

has anyone found a taller seat for the 500? I want to change the ratio of bars to seat to pegs by sitting higher.

I had them do mine and they do great work plus there turn tiem is 2 weeks. I dont want to hurt Renazco's feeling but I cant wait months for a upolstry job at ths point. He did a full suede seat for me and it as good as renazco. they can make it just how you like it.

If you need his # Geek PM me and I ll get it for you

ABYSS screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 01:40 PM
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1803
AussieClay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I just installed the Aus/Unrestricted map (KM787EU12C0701) on my mostly stock 500EXC. It made a big difference. The engine picks up much quicker and hits much harder, huge improvement. I had to turn down the idle speed a lot, a good indication that there's more fuel available at idle. Before, when I started it up, it kind of puttered to life and took a while to settle down to a 'feathery' idle. Now it pops to life. Before it had a 'soft' throttle which made it very easy to ride on tight trails. Now it is like the aggressive setting, it takes only 1/8 throttle to do what 1/2 throttle did before. This bike is stock with the restrictive screen pulled from muffler tip.

Lots of bang for the very little buck. A dealer should only charge about 15min to do this. No need to do the 15min idle after a re-map with the single cylinder fuel injection, that's a mistake on part of the documentation, 15min idle would greatly overheat this engine. Just warm it up and ride it, the first time you get full throttle and full rpm it is set up.

Next, I'm plugging in the agressive/soft map plugs to see if these now have some effect with this map, which they don't have on the stock map. I may need the soft map now for tight trails.

Of course, you will request your dealer to perform this re-map for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. No doubt this will effect the mileage too.

Zuber, just been speaking with local KTM dealer. The only unrestricted map they have is '0601', they can't find '0701' on their KTM system. Can you confirm it was definitely '0701' that you had installed? Otherwise I'll need to see where I can get the '0701' from if the local dealership can't find it.

Thanks.
AussieClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1804
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Map

0601 is what I have as well to install. I expect mileage to drop since the "idle" circuit will be richer. With my 525 I had to go richer on the pilot and get an entirely different needle from Sudco so it would start, hot or cold (20 degrees, for the most cold) with one or two kicks without choke.

Tradeoffs. I'll take performance and easy starting any day, thank you.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #1805
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Made an 8 hour day possible. Very soft though.

we can make you a firmer one if you like!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #1806
AussieClay
Adventurer

Fold away mirrors

Quote:
Last pic before I head to a client.. the highwaydirtbikes rally tower works great for a gps mount

Geek, what's the details of those sweet looking fold away mirrors? Me likey
Old 07-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #1807
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
You can see the mirrors HERE, but unfortunately another page on their site says this, "The best Mirror out there for Dual Sporting. Currently available only with HDB Handguards..."

'Makes sense now why they haven't responded to my e-mail asking how I could order a set...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1808
AussieClay
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
You can see the mirrors HERE, but unfortunately another page on their site says this, "The best Mirror out there for Dual Sporting. Currently available only with HDB Handguards..."

'Makes sense now why they haven't responded to my e-mail asking how I could order a set...

ktm950se

So if you break a mirror you need to order a complete new set of handguards...... hmmm.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1809
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
nope

not true
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #1810
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
The mirrors are part of the highway dirtbikes.com system. They are designed specifically to work with the hand guards that have a built in pivot point for the mirror. There is no point in buying the mirror if you dont have the system as you won't have a way to mount it. The system is designed to work together and they work great! (I have them on 5 of my bikes... Love 'em)

If you break a mirror you just buy another mirrior... No big deal... But you'll have to get lucky to break one... I cartwheeled my bike in the rocks during our night ride tonight on a crazy steep descent with a flat front tire. My plastics are scratched all to hell but the hand guards (and the rally tree) all came out fine even with the bike resting upside down on them

Only thing that sucked is I shredded my favorite jersey as I tumbled ass over teakettle down the hill

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #1811
Geek
oot & aboot

Maybe this will help?

A few years ago when I first put the handguard/topclamp/mirror system on my 950 I did a detailed step by step review for Orange Crush.

Here's a link:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=review

The system works basically the same for the 500.

Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #1812
Geek
oot & aboot

Now that I think about it.. didn't I do a full review of this in this thread back when I installed it?

edit: check this out - start reading at post # 5.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773406

Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #1813
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
HDB review

I haven't read Geek's review yet, and I might try to knock it out later tonight. I read earlier about some guys having some vibrations that started up after a few rides and they started with mine on my trip to CO. I figure my commuting didn't cause enough bouncing around to cause it so far. My thoughts for a cure are adhesive backed foam behind the mirror so that it doesn't vibrate against the guard in the closed position. It was so loud that i ended up riding with them in the up/out position. Not a deal breaker by any means, I love the concept and they work flawlessly as mirrors. Just would like some ideas from anyone who has had the vibrations and dealt with them.
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #1814
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
I haven't read Geek's review yet, and I might try to knock it out later tonight. I read earlier about some guys having some vibrations that started up after a few rides and they started with mine on my trip to CO. I figure my commuting didn't cause enough bouncing around to cause it so far. My thoughts for a cure are adhesive backed foam behind the mirror so that it doesn't vibrate against the guard in the closed position. It was so loud that i ended up riding with them in the up/out position. Not a deal breaker by any means, I love the concept and they work flawlessly as mirrors. Just would like some ideas from anyone who has had the vibrations and dealt with them.

Yeah, I had the vibs as well. After tightening the mirrors a bit more, that seemed to take care of it. However, I think a more permenant solution could be achieved. I like the idea of sticky foam on the inside of the BarkBuster, instead of the backside of the mirror; less movement for the foam and less chance of it getting ripped off by a branch or something else.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #1815
Geek
oot & aboot

what are you getting the vibrations from? scalloped tires?