Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1831
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
The mirrors are part of the highway dirtbikes.com system. They are designed specifically to work with the hand guards that have a built in pivot point for the mirror. There is no point in buying the mirror if you dont have the system as you won't have a way to mount it.
Isn't this pivot point just a hole in HDB's metal guard?

Why wouldn't a hold drilled in any other type of guard work just as well?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #1832
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
not true
What part of HDB's statement, ""The best Mirror out there for Dual Sporting. Currently available only with HDB Handguards..." isn't true?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #1833
Hukamosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieClay View Post
So if you break a mirror you need to order a complete new set of handguards...... hmmm.
I believe Abyss was responding to the above comment
Hukamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #1834
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Becasue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post

ktm950se

They are too short
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #1835
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
They are too short
As well, where the hole is drilled, there is a roughly 9/16 concave cutout, in which the mirror pivots. This concave section joins the ball section on the mirror arm. They are designed to work together.....a very good design, IMHO.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #1836
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
could work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post

ktm950se
With appropriate tools and skills and patience, yes they could work with any set up I guess. There are other alternatives available unless you really want them close to the bar ends.
I think a guy posted up part numbers for a Husky bendable mirror a bit back for about $12 and my buddy just received his Double-take set-up. A bit more expensive, but the ram ball system is bomber. My gps didn't seem to move i bit mounted to ram mount. And I could literally put it anywhere I wanted that the arm would reach.

my .02
Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #1837
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

not a tire thread

but..... my stock exc meztler 6 days are a bout half gone down the middle tread at 900+ miles of mixed use. My buddy that just got the 450 EXC picked up a set of MT21's and they look pretty good.. Lugs a bit closer together and bigger than the 6 days, so I would think better mileage. Aren't they supposed to be pretty much the same as the D606? I have read upwards of 3k miles. Are we talking to the cords?
How many of you guys with the exc are still running the meztlers?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #1838
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thermostat and fan

Can someone summarize the trend of thought about mods to the thermostat and control over the fan? I have noticed on short rides around the block with kids 10 minutes) I start to smell coolant and when I park the bike the fan turns on for about 30 seconds or less. Seems weird to me. I wonder if the fan runs at all when I am riding. I am not boiling over. I am using the Zip Ty Racing coolant.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #1839
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
but..... my stock exc meztler 6 days are a bout half gone down the middle tread at 900+ miles of mixed use. My buddy that just got the 450 EXC picked up a set of MT21's and they look pretty good.. Lugs a bit closer together and bigger than the 6 days, so I would think better mileage. Aren't they supposed to be pretty much the same as the D606? I have read upwards of 3k miles. Are we talking to the cords?
How many of you guys with the exc are still running the meztlers?

I never even ran my 500 with the stock tires.... I always run a MT21 front on every dirt bike I have owned, for the rear an MT21 or a D606.... Actually for the first time ever I installed an MT43 trials rear on my bike. It seems to be pretty good, but not enough mileage on it yet to make a solid conclusion. It seems that for summer it will work, when the rain hits I'm going to put on my D606.

JP
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #1840
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

thx jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdiller View Post
I never even ran my 500 with the stock tires.... I always run a MT21 front on every dirt bike I have owned, for the rear an MT21 or a D606.... Actually for the first time ever I installed an MT43 trials rear on my bike. It seems to be pretty good, but not enough mileage on it yet to make a solid conclusion. It seems that for summer it will work, when the rain hits I'm going to put on my D606.

JP
What size MT43 did you run? Motorcycle superstore has them on sale now but only 4.0x18. I have been torn between those two as replacement rears. I wonder how much better the bike would handle with different tires on it. Never heard anything good about the 6 days, just figured I would wear them out before replacing. Front still looks new, but I have nothing to compare it to for performance. First dirt bike in 20+ years.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #1841
SteveO
Huh???

Acerbis 5.3 Gallon Ride Update

Wanted to pass along my impression of the KTM 500 EXC with a Acerbis 5.3 gallon tank.

I filled up the tank to the top, so that I could get a good feel of the weight when single tracking the bike.

What I found was that the front tire "stayed" planted when carving the tight corners. The extra 19.5 lbs of fuel weight appears to really help keep the front tire solidly planted when cornering tight tracks....

The 500 has plenty of power to move the bike, and even lift the front end with a heavier tank. Carving the corners was no more difficult with the larger tank, as opposed to the smaller 2.2 gallon tank.

Thus far, I'm loving it. I'm very pleased with the way this bike handles the extra weight of the larger gas tank.....no issues at all....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:18 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #1842
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,834
Steveo: what front tire are you using?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #1843
SteveO
Huh???

Pro Moto Billet UPGRADE

Also wanted to pass along some information about the Pro Moto Billet Kick-It Kickstand.

If you get one of these, be aware that they are NOT very strong. I have not abused the kickstand, but because of a few soil-samples on the left side, the kick-stand popped the C-clip on the back side, thus allowing the leg of the stand to flop around, and nearly fall off.

Image of the PLASTIC backing plate and C-clip that is on the inside of the Pro Moto Billet Kick-it Kickstand.
That C-clip is what keep the leg attached to the kick-stand body.

Image of the C-clip missing

My solution to this ill-engineered design is a 3/16" plate and a bolt that goes all the way through the plate and the Kick-it Kickstand body. This is MUCH stronger.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:21 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #1844
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Steveo: what front tire are you using?

Believe it or not, I'm still running the Six-Days Extreme front tire; which came on the bike. It's been working pretty good, and so I'm just going to burn the tread off before I change it.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #1845
DirtToTar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
What size MT43 did you run? Motorcycle superstore has them on sale now but only 4.0x18. I have been torn between those two as replacement rears. I wonder how much better the bike would handle with different tires on it. Never heard anything good about the 6 days, just figured I would wear them out before replacing. Front still looks new, but I have nothing to compare it to for performance. First dirt bike in 20+ years.
The 4.0x18 is the one I'm running. The MT43 works well and wears great. It's also DOT approved. I have also used the MT43 up front and didn't care for it. I didn't like the way it tracked in ruts, it was slippery on flat gravel fire roads and the sidewalls are too soft going over rocks. I do like the rear though. The tire I like up front is the Bridgestone M403. My least favorite is the MX51 due to severe chunking after only a few rides. I've tried the MX51 three times and each time was the same.
DirtToTar is offline   Reply With Quote