ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #1846
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer
 
rtadlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,234
Anyone else having this problem?

I bought a 2013 XCW about two weeks ago. I did the one hour break in on it with an easy ride to work, and finished it off with putting around my neighborhood. I then changed the oil and filter, and then took it over to a field near my buddies house to rip around on it a bit. I rode it for maybe 45 mins and then headed back to my buddies house. On the way back, I hit the 2 hour mark, and right then the bike started spraying fuel out of the left side of the bike. There was like a 3-5 foot heavy spray of fuel that coated my entire left leg and boot. I stopped and examined. I found a very small pinned sized hole right above the inline filter above the fuel disconnect. See this picture:

Somehow I got a small hole in my high pressure fuel line

You can see the little slit right above the metal retaining ring. Since the bike was brand new, I took it to the shop to fix under warranty. They had the bike a few days, and I got it back on Saturday. Today, I road the bike for just under 15 minutes on a trail before it started spraying fuel all over me again. Same side. This time the hole was higher up on the hose, and wasn't apparent right away, so we took the tank off and found it. Is anyone else having problems with these fuel lines rupturing? I've had two holes (in what I think is the same line, because it looks like the dealer just cut the hose down after the first hole), in less than 2.5 hours of riding. I haven't fallen, tipped over, and didn't really start riding the bike harder until after about 1.5 hours of break in.

My plan was to just order the hose and fix it myself. F the dealer, as I don't think they want to fix it right. I have the tank of and can't find anything on the frame/tank/motor that looks to be causing the hole, and even so, the holes are in totally different spots on the line. So what do you think? Just a bad line? Should I just buy a new one and go with it? I guess I could get some steal breaded lines made...
__________________
KTM 500 XCW
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #1847
SteveO
Huh???
 
SteveO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
I bought a 2013 XCW about two weeks ago. I did the one hour break in on it with an easy ride to work, and finished it off with putting around my neighborhood. I then changed the oil and filter, and then took it over to a field near my buddies house to rip around on it a bit. I rode it for maybe 45 mins and then headed back to my buddies house. On the way back, I hit the 2 hour mark, and right then the bike started spraying fuel out of the left side of the bike. There was like a 3-5 foot heavy spray of fuel that coated my entire left leg and boot. I stopped and examined. I found a very small pinned sized hole right above the inline filter above the fuel disconnect. See this picture:

Somehow I got a small hole in my high pressure fuel line

You can see the little slit right above the metal retaining ring. Since the bike was brand new, I took it to the shop to fix under warranty. They had the bike a few days, and I got it back on Saturday. Today, I road the bike for just under 15 minutes on a trail before it started spraying fuel all over me again. Same side. This time the hole was higher up on the hose, and wasn't apparent right away, so we took the tank off and found it. Is anyone else having problems with these fuel lines rupturing? I've had two holes (in what I think is the same line, because it looks like the dealer just cut the hose down after the first hole), in less than 2.5 hours of riding. I haven't fallen, tipped over, and didn't really start riding the bike harder until after about 1.5 hours of break in.

My plan was to just order the hose and fix it myself. F the dealer, as I don't think they want to fix it right. I have the tank of and can't find anything on the frame/tank/motor that looks to be causing the hole, and even so, the holes are in totally different spots on the line. So what do you think? Just a bad line? Should I just buy a new one and go with it? I guess I could get some steal breaded lines made...
I think the socket-monkeys at the dealer screwed up the line when they put the bike together. Order another line from cheapcycleparts, get a golan filter and you should be set.
__________________
.................................................. ....................................
NMOHVA.ORG - Help to keep your trails open!

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #1848
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
what Im saying is ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
What part of HDB's statement, ""The best Mirror out there for Dual Sporting. Currently available only with HDB Handguards..." isn't true?

ktm950se
if you break a mirror you can ge a reaplcement form HWDB without having to get a whole new set or bark busters
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #1849
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
replace it yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
I bought a 2013 XCW about two weeks ago. I did the one hour break in on it with an easy ride to work, and finished it off with putting around my neighborhood. I then changed the oil and filter, and then took it over to a field near my buddies house to rip around on it a bit. I rode it for maybe 45 mins and then headed back to my buddies house. On the way back, I hit the 2 hour mark, and right then the bike started spraying fuel out of the left side of the bike. There was like a 3-5 foot heavy spray of fuel that coated my entire left leg and boot. I stopped and examined. I found a very small pinned sized hole right above the inline filter above the fuel disconnect. See this picture:

Somehow I got a small hole in my high pressure fuel line

You can see the little slit right above the metal retaining ring. Since the bike was brand new, I took it to the shop to fix under warranty. They had the bike a few days, and I got it back on Saturday. Today, I road the bike for just under 15 minutes on a trail before it started spraying fuel all over me again. Same side. This time the hole was higher up on the hose, and wasn't apparent right away, so we took the tank off and found it. Is anyone else having problems with these fuel lines rupturing? I've had two holes (in what I think is the same line, because it looks like the dealer just cut the hose down after the first hole), in less than 2.5 hours of riding. I haven't fallen, tipped over, and didn't really start riding the bike harder until after about 1.5 hours of break in.

My plan was to just order the hose and fix it myself. F the dealer, as I don't think they want to fix it right. I have the tank of and can't find anything on the frame/tank/motor that looks to be causing the hole, and even so, the holes are in totally different spots on the line. So what do you think? Just a bad line? Should I just buy a new one and go with it? I guess I could get some steal breaded lines made...

if you look a bit back there is a post where I talked about adding on a Golan Filter and removing the origianal fuel filter that is up near the FI throttlebody. the issue you are talking about I have seen before on a few friends bikes. Note wanting to take that risk and also avoid the chafing issue that you have so nicley photographed I went and got a section of new fuel line and substancially made it longe rto eliminat all the issues.
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1850
Stein4
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 8
I bought a 2013 KTM 500 EXC Saturday. Took it out Sunday morning and after 5 min. bike quit; look down and fuel was pouring from the bottom. Fuel line had a cut below the inline fuel filter. Took it back to the shop they had it fixed in an hour.
Stein4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #1851
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein4 View Post
I bought a 2013 KTM 500 EXC Saturday. Took it out Sunday morning and after 5 min. bike quit; look down and fuel was pouring from the bottom. Fuel line had a cut below the inline fuel filter. Took it back to the shop they had it fixed in an hour.
Bummer.... no problems with fuel line, but did have the filter clog. 20Mic in there now and no problems so far...

Was shop open on Sunday or did it cost you days riding...I have some special tape I would have placed on that until the shop was open....
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #1852
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
Eek Inline fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein4 View Post
I bought a 2013 KTM 500 EXC Saturday. Took it out Sunday morning and after 5 min. bike quit; look down and fuel was pouring from the bottom. Fuel line had a cut below the inline fuel filter. Took it back to the shop they had it fixed in an hour.
Unless its new for 2013 there is no inline fuel filter the only thing is the quick disconnect
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #1853
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer
 
rtadlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,234
It is new for the 2013... The hole in the picture I posted above of right above filter.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW

rtadlock screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 05:44 PM
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #1854
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
How about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
It is new for the 2013... The hole in the picture I posted above of right above filter.
A pic of the filter
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #1855
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer
 
rtadlock's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Denver
Oddometer: 1,234
I'm in Tucson right now, but I'll post a pic when I get home and fix the bike.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #1856
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Just north of Big D
Oddometer: 265
new filter

I picked one of those up at SMS saturday ABYSS. I'll get a pic of it in the morning. New for 2013 as mentioned. Went in to buy a tank sock and the guy I talked too didn't care for the tank sock for various reasons that kind of made sense. Told me about the new filter and for <$10 I picked it up with some motion pro lite locks. Talked to them about re-valve job. $150 for each end if I don't need heavier springs. Speaking of maybe needing new springs...
When washing the bike the other day I noticed my back tire has eaten part of the stupid rear sub fender that holds the license plate. Hacked the rest of it off just below the plate holes. Not sure if that was poor design or I am getting too close to bottoming rear end on jumps.
Also ordered upgrade headlight, and flush mount rear turn signal from sicass today and some MT41's for the next Colorado trip. Booked today aug 13th-18th in Ridgway state park again.
__________________
13 KTM 350XCF-W -- new hotness
13 KTM 250XCF-W -- hers
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #1857
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
yes

Id like to see a pciutre of it, Does it have a replaceable element, is ti metal or plastic?
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #1858
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Just north of Big D
Oddometer: 265
new for 2013 fuel filter

Here is a shot of the new filter off the bike. The employee at SMS racing said they have been running these with no issues since. As Rtadlock's photo shows, it fits between the fuel line and quick disco. Filter pops out with a small allen wrench or other small blunt object.

And just to stir the pot a little. While I was there I inquired about getting the euro map installed and this same employee (who said they spent lots of time doing maps for the stores race bikes) said "I don't want to waste your $80. The EXC ecu cannot be unlocked with our system." I mentioned a few threads on here, and he basically said they have tried. He said the JD Tuner DOES unlock the exc ecu but he didn't really care for it. He would also sell me an XCW ecu for $400 and put any map I wanted on it. This is just a pot stir, my bike is faster than I can ride right now so not bothering me anymore. I haven't leaked any gas, or clogged a fuel filter. My right rear turn signal did just fall off saturday though. Wonder if the continuous heat cycle from being behind exhaust made the rubber mount brittle as that is where it broke off.

__________________
13 KTM 350XCF-W -- new hotness
13 KTM 250XCF-W -- hers
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1859
Cyberg
Adventurer
 
Cyberg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post

And just to stir the pot a little. While I was there I inquired about getting the euro map installed and this same employee (who said they spent lots of time doing maps for the stores race bikes) said "I don't want to waste your $80. The EXC ecu cannot be unlocked with our system." I mentioned a few threads on here, and he basically said they have tried. He said the JD Tuner DOES unlock the exc ecu but he didn't really care for it. He would also sell me an XCW ecu for $400 and put any map I wanted on it. This is just a pot stir, my bike is faster than I can ride right now so not bothering me anymore. I haven't leaked any gas, or clogged a fuel filter. My right rear turn signal did just fall off saturday though. Wonder if the continuous heat cycle from being behind exhaust made the rubber mount brittle as that is where it broke off.


I just bought a 13 500 EXC and my dealer desmoged my bike also added a FMF muffler with a EU xc-w map.

So I think he lied to you or he just does not want to do it.

BTW that map with my FMF muffler runs great.
Cyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #1860
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
Eh? Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg View Post
I just bought a 13 500 EXC and my dealer desmoged my bike also added a FMF muffler with a EU xc-w map.

So I think he lied to you or he just does not want to do it.

BTW that map with my FMF muffler runs great.
Thats kinda funny, I suggest you call KTM North America they also say the North America EXC ECU is fixed in order to meet the federal requirements for 50 State legal.

According to them "OFF THE RECORD" to get one that isnt your only option is a XCW ECU.
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014