Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #181
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt21 View Post
Does anyone know the output of the stator ???

// MT
From http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_news2/...XC_MY12_GB.pdf

"The oil-cooled 196 W alternator ensures reliable energy provision"

cheers, M.

Magile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #182
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I checked the US ktm site but they are not showing any street legal exc's for 2012...
Here ya' go... http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-exc-usa.html

M.

New for 2012:

New SOHC EFI engine tuned for enduro riding and 5.5 lbs lighter than the previous engine
New cylinder head with new inlet and exhaust port design as well as a new combustion chamber design and new water jacket
New valve chain guides and new spring loaded mechanical chain tensioner with a ratchet stop for a simpler and lighter weight design
New lighter weight die-cast cases made of a special alloy
New single oil circuit for easier maintenance
New multi-function balancer shaft to keep the engine narrow and reduce weight
New lighter piston and PANKL con rod
Newly developed lightweight single diaphragm spring clutch unit with steel billet basket for unbeatable reliability
6-speed enduro gearbox for precise shifting
New electric start system (plus kick start) and stronger 196W stator
Completely new frame design with PDS that reduces longitudinal stiffness
New one-piece cast aluminium swingarm with excellent flex characteristics
New WP PDS mono shock (7mm longer) with new preload adjuster
WP 48mm USD forks received new oil and dust seals by SKF and new bushings with improved Teflon coating for better sensitivity and durability
New silencer and larger volume spark arrestor for lower noise level
New 2.51 gallon/ 9.5 liter translucent fuel tank with integrated fuel pump and regulator
Equipped with DOT approved headlight, taillight and turn signal indicators
Newly designed taillight and license plate holder with improved durability
New intake boot that provides great power and extra protection for Twin-Air filter which still has the same quick change, no-tools access air filter change process
New bodywork including a white airbox, white rear number plates, and a redesigned reinforced rear fender for perfect ergonomics and excellent contact points
New handguard mount and flag design
New black Giant rims with CNC machined hubs, black spokes and silver spoke nipples
New integrated routing for the cooling system for better airflow
Metzler Six Days Extreme DOT front and rear tires
New auxiliary radiator fan for improved cooling
Magile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #183
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I checked the US ktm site but they are not showing any street legal exc's for 2012. Am I missing something? Not that I am at all disappointed with the 530 ;-)
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/350-exc...ighlights.html
350 now shows it having the equipment
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #184
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile View Post
Here ya' go... http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/500-exc-usa.html

M.

New for 2012:

New SOHC EFI engine tuned for enduro riding and 5.5 lbs lighter than the previous engine
New cylinder head with new inlet and exhaust port design as well as a new combustion chamber design and new water jacket
New valve chain guides and new spring loaded mechanical chain tensioner with a ratchet stop for a simpler and lighter weight design
New lighter weight die-cast cases made of a special alloy
New single oil circuit for easier maintenance
New multi-function balancer shaft to keep the engine narrow and reduce weight
New lighter piston and PANKL con rod
Newly developed lightweight single diaphragm spring clutch unit with steel billet basket for unbeatable reliability
6-speed enduro gearbox for precise shifting
New electric start system (plus kick start) and stronger 196W stator
Completely new frame design with PDS that reduces longitudinal stiffness
New one-piece cast aluminium swingarm with excellent flex characteristics
New WP PDS mono shock (7mm longer) with new preload adjuster
WP 48mm USD forks received new oil and dust seals by SKF and new bushings with improved Teflon coating for better sensitivity and durability
New silencer and larger volume spark arrestor for lower noise level
New 2.51 gallon/ 9.5 liter translucent fuel tank with integrated fuel pump and regulator
Equipped with DOT approved headlight, taillight and turn signal indicators
Newly designed taillight and license plate holder with improved durability
New intake boot that provides great power and extra protection for Twin-Air filter which still has the same quick change, no-tools access air filter change process
New bodywork including a white airbox, white rear number plates, and a redesigned reinforced rear fender for perfect ergonomics and excellent contact points
New handguard mount and flag design
New black Giant rims with CNC machined hubs, black spokes and silver spoke nipples
New integrated routing for the cooling system for better airflow
Metzler Six Days Extreme DOT front and rear tires
New auxiliary radiator fan for improved cooling
Nice!!!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #185
peteb2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Did anyone in the states get their 500 xcw yet? I ordered mine a while back and the dealer said he expected them in August? If so, what is your first impression?
Husqvarna Lawn Tractor
peteb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #186
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,717
I have over 19K kms on my plated 525EXC and a few weeks ago it suffered the only carb issue I have ever had with it. In the middle of butt-fawk nowhere, 76 kilometers from the nearest gas station (not even a town) the clip on the needle came off. As I did not have a 4mm allen key in my toolkit, this was only revealed after I got it home in the back of my truck. At the time I was with my wife who was on her 525EXC and I sent her off alone to get the truck (230kms away) while I idled the 76 kms along an undulating dirt road. With some tweaking of the idle and fuel screws I was able to get it to chug along at 27 KPH on flat ground. Uphills in 1st were painfully slow. It took me 5 hours to travel those 76 kms.
Yes some would say that at least it still would have gotten me home, but EFI systems have built-in limp-home modes in case of a component failure so short of the actual ECU going south, a broken EFI bike should still get you home.

I have been riding and racing carbed bikes for 35 years with "hardly" a problem but I'm ready to try EFI.

I never thought I'd ever be willing to get rid of my 525 but this new 500 has me thinking about it. Trouble is, I know my wife will want one too.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #187
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,030
i should be picking up my 2012 500exc this week
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #188
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,766
Are you getting the bigger tank with it?

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #189
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,030
No but will down the line , the 500 is the single track machine and the 690 will be the long haul adv machine,

might have to start another build thread
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #190
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Yes some would say that at least it still would have gotten me home, but EFI systems have built-in limp-home modes in case of a component failure so short of the actual ECU going south, a broken EFI bike should still get you home.

I have been riding and racing carbed bikes for 35 years with "hardly" a probIlem but I'm ready to try EFI.

Sean
Sean I'm the same as you. I'm still running my 525 and did not partake in the 2008-2011 bikes, due to some basic design characteristics i did not like, add engine issues that surfaced with that model and it was tainted in my eyes. Looking forward to seeing how the 500 pans out a year down the road.

I'm a bit more cynical with fuel Injection as I have had a 690 Enduro and a two KLX 250's come back on the end of tow ropes due to the Fuel Injection taking a crap. On the KLX (they are FI in SouthEast Asia) it was the FI unit itself that packed it in and the 690 is still being diagnosed. I realize the future is FI but it won't be adopted by myself until I see at least a solid year or two of trouble free isues with the model. I had the same opinion of the valve train being adjusted with shims VS screw adjusters (my trips are as long as a month long and I worried about needing an adjustment in the field on a trip where there are no KTM or any bike dealers in the surrounding three countries that I ride) but the latest model KTM's have shown to not need much valve adjustment, and have proven their technology. lets hope the FI fares as well.

At least with your carb once the needle circlip fell out of the groove, it was most likely still inside the carb to reinstall ( I'll bet good money you have the 4mm allen in the toolkit now, thats not an enjoyable lesson to learn and sorry to see you suffer). Either that or a strand of electrical wire yanked from a turn signal to secure the needle could have got you home. The three FI units that failed on my rides could not be jury rigged despite numerous attempts. Also none of the three units was generous enough to toggle to "limp home" mode for us. One second the bikes were winging down the trail, the next second dead and rolled to a stop, never to run again. Not a fantastic option for getting yourself out of the sticks from my experience.

There has also been the issue with the FI not being able to be adjusted for increased power mods. On the KLX250's a common mod is a 331-350 big bore. I rode a 331 for years over here and just needed to rejet the carb for it. The new FI on the KLX cannot be adjusted to accept the bigger bore and no products are available to adjust it for the increased fuel needs. Guys are yanking the FI and throwing carbs back on their bikes to take advantage of the larger bores. Pretty sad when it should be just a matter of hooking up a laptop and adjusting the fuel metering to meet the demands of the larger bore.

Just hoping KTM comes up with some magic with their FI otherwise I'm on the 525 for a few more years, haha.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #191
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,823
Yup, I'm with Team ftb on this issue. I remain firmly entrenched in carburator camp. The cost and hassle associated with FI simply does not add up for me.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #192
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Reliability

FTB -- You are correct on the long-term reliability of a major component for the riding we do. The KTM 250s with the first FI systems failed with bad pumps from what appeared to be factory floor quality control issues in China. The other parts of the system seems to be OK. I am also unwilling to give up my '07 525 for the very appealing new 500 EXC. The 525 is reliable unless I screw it up.

The cost issues are really out of our hands and nothing we can address given the falling value of the dollar and the rising demand for raw materials in Asian markets. It is not a major factor in my decision making. Getting home from remote places is.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #193
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Guys are yanking the FI and throwing carbs back on their bikes to take advantage of the larger bores.
How is that substantially different than yanking off one carb to replace with a larger carb for a big bore? Happens all the time on the DRZ.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #194
jms415
KTM disciple

Oddometer: 67
Common Oil system

Looks like the total amount of oil used will be the same when comparing 2012 and previous couple of years. But I was under the impression that the separate systems were way better? Anybody want to shed some light on that one for me? How much does it matter? Seems like KTM has good engineering when it comes to filters and oil.

Thanks...
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #195
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms415 View Post
Looks like the total amount of oil used will be the same when comparing 2012 and previous couple of years. But I was under the impression that the separate systems were way better? Anybody want to shed some light on that one for me? How much does it matter? Seems like KTM has good engineering when it comes to filters and oil.

Thanks...
Separate oil systems are better...when done properly. The problem with the early XC4 design was oil migrating from one system to the other. This causes two issues. One system runs overfilled causing problems and the other system runs low which causes even more problems. I for one am happy to see they have combined the two and eliminated some extra moving parts.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote