Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #2056
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunthunter View Post
Hey Geek, nice shot! If you absolutely could own just one, which would it be?
A Husqvarna TE610 (which I sold when I bought both of these )

Living in Colorado you want something small enough to get up the fun stuff.. but big enough to not be too miserable if you have to hop on I70 for an hour or two.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #2057
Riding4fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
So I went to lookup how much a TB is and cross checked part #'s, funny thing the part #'s are the same for each year. So how do you know which one your getting? Is this a XCW thing or EXC Too?
Riding4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #2058
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Just for the record

I havent first had witnesses the issuse but have been around some folsk that have had the issue. My XCW is a 2012
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #2059
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
My guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riding4fun View Post
So I went to lookup how much a TB is and cross checked part #'s, funny thing the part #'s are the same for each year. So how do you know which one your getting? Is this a XCW thing or EXC Too?
its both. Sorry for so little info. Not ever getting to see two side by side I dont know. I too just looked one Munn's and they are the same I dont knwo what to tell ya unless the connection hoses are different and they just reclokc the original unit. I dont knwo the peopel personally that were at the dealer workibg on there problems they were having. Ill call dealer next week when they are open next week and see if I cna get more info. Maybe someone that has a 2013 can post some good pics and we can at least look

ABYSS screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 07:22 AM
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #2060
Riding4fun
Adventurer

Yeah - I'm not sure if the Mumm part look up is 100% correct - cause there is no change from any part #'s that I can find (IE: triple clamps, rear axle, etc). Maybe the Dealers have a different lookup database.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #2061
DLH
Lurch the Lurker

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Yeah - I'm not sure if the Mumm part look up is 100% correct - cause there is no change from any part #'s that I can find (IE: triple clamps, rear axle, etc). Maybe the Dealers have a different lookup database.

Yeah...Weird
I'm looking at the throttle bodies for both years and they look the same to me.
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #2062
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
The 2012 models fuel injectors spray the fuel down and
in 2013 they rotated the assembly's 180 digress and the fuel injector spray up
Into the air stream. The supposed problem is gravity is against the design
and a bead of fuel sits on top the injector and they have problems with that bead of fuel
staying on the injector tip on shut down. Then FOD is attracted
to the tip and it builds up and clogs the injector. Some of folks
I have spoken with said it was enough of an issue
they went and got a 2012 throttle body and converted back.
This injector location change was only for the new 450 SX, all the other FI bodies are the same as before with the injector on top.

I have not heard if this problem with the new 450 SX and doubt it could be possible for the injector to clog from debris on the outside. The 450 SX doesn't get the hours of an EXC and doesn't have to run on pump gas with all the additives.

The 2012 and 2013 bikes are essentially the same. KTM has an updated map in the 2013 models, probably it has only small refinements. This updated map can be put onto the 2012.

I didn't think there were any 2012 500 EXC models left in USA. All the models in the North West sold in the first month of release. If you can get any discount on a 2012, go for it.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #2063
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
On the 450's the only real difference between the EXC and XCW is

Gearing
Smog items
jetting
exhaust

I'm sure there are a few more small items but the major parts are the same.
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #2064
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
Small point, but there is no 450 EXC any more. I thought that I really wanted a 450 EXC, until I rode the new 500. I can see why KTM did not bother to make a 450.

But, you are right, between the 350/500 EXC's and XC-W's there is very little difference.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2065
DLH
Lurch the Lurker

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
This injector location change was only for the new 450 SX, all the other FI bodies are the same as before with the injector on top.

I have not heard if this problem with the new 450 SX and doubt it could be possible for the injector to clog from debris on the outside. The 450 SX doesn't get the hours of an EXC and doesn't have to run on pump gas with all the additives.

The 2012 and 2013 bikes are essentially the same. KTM has an updated map in the 2013 models, probably it has only small refinements. This updated map can be put onto the 2012.

I didn't think there were any 2012 500 EXC models left in USA. All the models in the North West sold in the first month of release. If you can get any discount on a 2012, go for it.

Thanks for the clarification Zuber.
I'm just going to move on the 2013. Dealer said they had access to a 2012 but it's a salesguy telling me that.
DLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #2066
Riding4fun
Adventurer

Not that it matters, but I still see a couple 12 500EXC's listed on Cycle Trader IA and TX, lot's of 12 XCW's though.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #2067
TheLostBoy
gone riding...

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug View Post
Another tangent on this thread,Hey has anyone had any issues with their fuel lines rupturing from the tank to the quick dissconnect or from the QD to the Throttle body?As I read on ktmtalk of a guy with a 13 500 exc had his maiden voyage scratched by this problem,I heard of a couple of incidents on the 12 but this is the first I heard on the 13?anyone heard/had this issue? as on the trail you kinda SOL to fix! solutions as the 13 QD is pretty happening,like to keep it.
i only have 10 hours on my 2013 exc, and it's already blown 2 fuel lines. it's going back to the dealer again tomorrow morning.
TheLostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #2068
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
I'm loving my 2012.

No problems, no issues, no hiccups..... rock solid

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2069
Ridetosea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
52 hours and 1640 miles of mixed riding from single track to forest roads to a little supermoto and no problems on my 2012. From crawling through wet forest roots at a few feet a min to over 100 mph and everything in between and she just runs and ask for more. I put on the KTM 13 L tank and had the well documented gas cap issue where it will not open. (I pushed the bike empty, never had fuel in it to the gas station, couldn't get the cap off, Took off vent hose, pushed down with all my weight and power with the side of my knife handle and twisted. Thanks to information on this thread I cut the corners off the leading edge of the tabs and problem fixed. All this on one oil change at 1 hour and a the original tires. The valves have been checked and no adjustment needed. I'm going to do so adventure touring on this bike. Lite is right! Time to ride. Relax, I'm going to change the oil soon...
When there is a fork in the trail, take it.
Ridetosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #2070
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
Seems I've got my fuel line issues worked out. Must have just been a bad line. Replaced it, and I've been riding the snot out of it for about 8 hours:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Had it over 100mph the other night. Must be weird to be in a car and see a full blown dirtbike overtake you on the highway...

Going back out tonight...