User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #2071
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,547
Another Report

Thought some of you who are considering this bike might like an update from the southern states..

2012 500EXC 1400 miles 50hrs. Awesome bike.

I rode this weekend with a 2013 450XCW and a 2013 500Exc. All of us are OLDER "A" and "B" class riders from the SouthEast. No question this is one fantastic machine.

The 2013 450 had fuel line leak problems but was corrected BEFORE we rode a awesome 80 mile southern piney woods ride (which means lots of deep sand). Thanks to this thread we knew going in what to look for.

The 2013 500 was box stock with just damper, BBs, and gearing change. We will fine tune her soon.

Mine has all the expected changes with JDtuner and suspension. My only issue was the stock fuel filter which now has the KTM 20M filter and has been fine for the last 300 miles or so. BTW I rarely touch pavement with this machine but MUST be street legal.

I have only been racing bikes since 1968 and have only owned several hundred of the latest and greatest so what do I know.... I really like this scoot...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2072
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
fuel tank

this has probably been addressed already, and if so, could someone direct me to opinions on the various larger fuel tanks for the 500EXC (mine is 2013 but don't think it makes a difference). Saw KTM makes a little bigger one than stock. I want to make the EXC my primary dual sport (now its an 800GS).
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #2073
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
I got to ride the 500EXC's kissing cousin (XC-W) at a KTM offroad demo day and could not believe what an incredible motor it had. Naturally, my next thought was how much fun you could have on a EXC with supermoto wheels. I'm sure someone has done it by now. Anyone able to post a link to some pix and maybe a hooligan report?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #2074
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,286
SSD - yes it is a pure criminal experience. Not much of a report with the pix, just sunrise rip to beat the heat (and the fuzz).

Just wish I lived were the road were less ______________________________________. I have the swap down to less that 30 min but it still spends most it's time in knobbies.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #2075
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
tire question

Anyone have advice on tires that have a bit more mileage in them? I ride a mix of gravel and dirt, but on long trips there is always more of the dreaded highway than I would like. I am willing to sacrifice some ultimate performance. Bike currently has the OEM Maxxis SI front and Max Enduro rear. I like the front tires dimensions (80/100/21).
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #2076
ram350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
heated grips

Looking for a power source for the grips. Behind the headlight there are two open plugs with black/yellow stripe that are keyed power on. Would one of these work, and what were they designed for.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #2077
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,817

Nope, the screen is held in place by the screw-on outer ring. If that does not move the screens stay in place.

The wiring just keeps the outer ring from un-screwing itself.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #2078
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350 View Post
Looking for a power source for the grips. Behind the headlight there are two open plugs with black/yellow stripe that are keyed power on. Would one of these work, and what were they designed for.
I've been wondering the same. I metered out those two plugs, and they are keyed, but not battery power. Both had 10volts on them. Im thinking they are for the power switch(ign. map). Going to the dealer today, hoping they have the service manual in stock. Wish the wiring diagrams were in the owners manual as in the past.

On another note, I just got my bike, did the break in ride this weekend, was aware of the fuel line leakage issue, kept looking at the fuel line during my ride, no leaks. Pulled into my driveway, taking helmet off, look back at bike, whats this dripping on ground? Shit, fuel leaking from line. Off to the dealer I go....

The bike rocks by the way, very happy with it.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #2079
ram350
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post
I've been wondering the same. I metered out those two plugs, and they are keyed, but not battery power. Both had 10volts on them. Im thinking they are for the power switch(ign. map). Going to the dealer today, hoping they have the service manual in stock. Wish the wiring diagrams were in the owners manual as in the past.

On another note, I just got my bike, did the break in ride this weekend, was aware of the fuel line leakage issue, kept looking at the fuel line during my ride, no leaks. Pulled into my driveway, taking helmet off, look back at bike, whats this dripping on ground? Shit, fuel leaking from line. Off to the dealer I go....

Let me know if you find anything on the wiring. Love my bike too. Went from a nice 300 and have no regrets.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #2080
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
SSD - yes it is a pure criminal experience. Not much of a report with the pix, just sunrise rip to beat the heat (and the fuzz).

Just wish I lived were the road were less ______________________________________. I have the swap down to less that 30 min but it still spends most it's time in knobbies.
Nice.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2081
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentative_rider View Post
this has probably been addressed already, and if so, could someone direct me to opinions on the various larger fuel tanks for the 500EXC (mine is 2013 but don't think it makes a difference). Saw KTM makes a little bigger one than stock. I want to make the EXC my primary dual sport (now its an 800GS).
Clockwork make a 3.1 gal that uses the original radiator shrouds.
The weight distribution of the fuel would be lower than stock, and more central than the other big tanks that hold the extra capacity in the front lobes.
I've ordered a 2013 500 XC-W and at this stage, I like the design concept of the clockwork. Would like to hear from others who've actually tried them.

Fairly good review at following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PzmXO-KmE
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #2082
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 940
If you have a thermostat DO NOT buy a Clockwork tank! Won't fit.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #2083
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
If you have a thermostat DO NOT buy a Clockwork tank! Won't fit.
Is there a thread/pics that details the thermostat issue ?

Was the problem on a 350 or 500, or wouldn't it make any difference ?
bill1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #2084
ram350
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv View Post

I tried those plugs and they won't work. One kills the motor as soon as you plug in a wire. The other one kills the motor once you turn on the heated grips. Ended up wiring into hot wire on the ignition switch.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #2085
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram350 View Post
you turn on the heated grips..
I live in Florida... I have solar heated grips with no wiring. Trick huh?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote