Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #196
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
How is that substantially different than yanking off one carb to replace with a larger carb for a big bore? Happens all the time on the DRZ.
I assume your talking about taking a stock carb and changing it to a higher performance pumper model. That is common on the lower priced models IE KLX 250's etc. The stock carb will flow fine, it just needs a change in jets to deal with a larger bore. Case in point my KTM 525 w/ 570 big bore and aftermarket cam. Stock carb is fine, just needed a different main jet and a clip position change on the standard needle to deal with the jetting change. Can you go to a larger carb on bikes with a big bore? Certainly but it is not needed.

I'm hoping KTM's fuel injection has the ability to be tuned by the owner in much the same manner and it avoids the issues I've seen others suffer from with KTM's FI used in prior models.

Gronk hit the nail on the head with seperate oil systems, great on paper but if they don't work perfectly it can lead to issues. CRF's also had the same issue that KTM's dual oil system suffered from...oil migration between the two supposed seperate chambers.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #197
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,757
Anyone pick thiers up yet?

COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #198
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

Oddometer: 313
Isn't it about time for a new post on this bike?
gmtcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #199
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,757
What is the MSRP? Been seeing a price tag of around $10k on some posts.

Nevermind....

I found this online...

ManufacturerKTM
Model Year2012
Model500 EXC
MSRP$9,699.00*

*Price, if shown, is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) and does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). MSRP and/or final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

Man, thats a lot of beans for a bike I'm going to beat up!
COHVCO
TPA

Raul Duke screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 03:00 PM
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #200
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
It looks like Jimmy Lewis found one! Check out the latest issue of Dirt Rider for a test on the 2012 XC W 450, it sounds SWEET!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #201
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,042
pick mine up Tomorrow
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #202
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Xc-w vs. Exc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy View Post
It looks like Jimmy Lewis found one! Check out the latest issue of Dirt Rider for a test on the 2012 XC W 450, it sounds SWEET!
If the new 500 EXC is as capable as this 450 XC-W KTM will never have enough to satisfy the desire for a light weight dual sport bike that is capable of successfully competing in an enduro. I'd much rather pick up a 265 lb. EXC than, say, a 435 lb. Tiger 800 XC when I would inevitably crash them on technical trails. I rode my 950 KTM Adv nearly everywhere I rode my 525 EXC. The 525 won out in all categories (ugly technical, fast single track, dual track, gravel and twisty 2 lane hard surface) for me. The 950 won out with droning along on interstates.

When will Dirt Rider have a 500 EXC to test?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #203
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,549
The latest issue of Dirt Bike, has a pretty good spread about the new EXC's. They say that the 500,
is pretty powerful. More so than the 530. This will be a good one to keep an eye on.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #204
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Ive just had my 500 out for it first ride and ................... i love it still a bit stiff got down some nasty single track were there be no way getting through by my self on the 690 the 500 handles supurbly .

On my way home i dropped in the the shop and picked up an akro slip on
and orderde the handle bar map switch but i the meen time i utilised the old map switch off the 690 as it not longer used with the vortex system .

Mudguts screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 12:21 AM
Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #205
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Congrats!
Please tell us more...

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #206
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Bike has done 2.5 hrs so Ive changed oil and filter Going for ride tomorrow to try map switch on the different settings , also fitted akro muffler ,scotts damper
just a note did not get one deflection with the standard suspension but still waiting for the correct spring rates to turn up
I'll take the helmet cam and take some crappy photo's with my phone
Old 09-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #207
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
What is the MSRP? Been seeing a price tag of around $10k on some posts.

Nevermind....

I found this online...

Manufacturer
KTM

Model Year

Model
500 EXC

MSRP
$9,699.00*

*Price, if shown, is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) and does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). MSRP and/or final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

Man, thats a lot of beans for a bike I'm going to beat up!
No Chit

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #208
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
There will be a 350EXC and a 500EXC for MY2012. Both will be street-legal from the factory.

The 450EXC has been dropped as people were coming into the dealer to buy it, but mostly left with the 530EXC anyway.
Ummm....unless I'm missing something, the new 500EXC is NOT street legal from the factory. There is no place for a license plate, no turn signals, no mirrors, etc.

Can someone who has one of these please comment on what their (US) registration says?

If it's not street legal as shipped from KTM, peeps in Kommiefornia (and similar states) will need to step up to the 530EXC or down to the 450EXC....assuming both stay unchanged in this regard for '12.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #209
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Ummm....unless I'm missing something, the new 500EXC is NOT street legal from the factory. There is no place for a license plate, no turn signals, no mirrors, etc.

Can someone who has one of these please comment on what their (US) registration says?

If it's not street legal as shipped from KTM, peeps in Kommiefornia (and similar states) will need to step up to the 530EXC or down to the 450EXC....assuming both stay unchanged in this regard for '12.

-SM
Come off it. You cannot buy fold down mirrors off of the 640 LC4? You want the stock mirrors that break off? The bike comes with eveything you need. It has turn signals. You had better be ready to buy Sicass Racing turn signals if you do not want them torn off. BTW, if you motocross the 500 EXC the way I do my 525 Exc you will eat the rear of the fender off anyway so cut it off and get on with riding!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #210
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
-SM

Somebody seems to have done it in 'Forina

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=26
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote