Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #2086
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I got to ride the 500EXC's kissing cousin (XC-W) at a KTM offroad demo day and could not believe what an incredible motor it had. Naturally, my next thought was how much fun you could have on a EXC with supermoto wheels. I'm sure someone has done it by now. Anyone able to post a link to some pix and maybe a hooligan report?
Ya went supermoto a couple months back. The motor is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_0vRG1-Dcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSuQ4BZx1n4
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #2087
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostBoy View Post
i only have 10 hours on my 2013 exc, and it's already blown 2 fuel lines. it's going back to the dealer again tomorrow morning.
I noticed when a 2013 500 exc came into the shop that they had changed the fuel line's and disconnects. Apparently they should have stuck with the 2012 style.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #2088
ridethedesert
Adventurer

2013 500 EXC came to our shop

I was expecting the Maxxis MaxxEnduro Rear tire to be a little more beefy/aggressive. Unfortunately it looks just like the worthless Metzeler that came on the 2012's. The front however looks promising. I'm still sticking with my Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18 rear. Got some shots of all the bikes next to each other.

ridethedesert screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 11:12 AM Reason: add pic
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2089
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,151
500EXC kickstart with dead battery?

Was curious if the bike will still kick start with a dead battery, say below 7-8 volts? I dont believe the kick starter runs off the magneto, could be wrong....which would make it a true back up if it did.

When I had my fuel injected TE610, I considered similar issues. There's a guy at the following link (Brandon R) who wired in a capacitor as a back up. Was curious if this would also work for the 500 EXC? I never got a chance to install on my TE since selling it to get my 950 SER.

See post #23402 and 23423
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6429&page=1562

Here's his video as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1C14A2rVbc

This bike still amazes me. I love it!!!!!
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #2090
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
Was curious if the bike will still kick start with a dead battery, say below 7-8 volts? I dont believe the kick starter runs off the magneto, could be wrong....which would make it a true back up if it did.

When I had my fuel injected TE610, I considered similar issues. There's a guy at the following link (Brandon R) who wired in a capacitor as a back up. Was curious if this would also work for the 500 EXC? I never got a chance to install on my TE since selling it to get my 950 SER.

See post #23402 and 23423
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6429&page=1562

Here's his video as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1C14A2rVbc

This bike still amazes me. I love it!!!!!
Seems like the kick start should be able to kick it over despite the battery condition........ yes/no?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #2091
teambft
teambft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Seems like the kick start should be able to kick it over despite the battery condition........ yes/no?
I dont think it will. Post #140 below:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...773406&page=10
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #2092
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,357
Came home with a new turn signal mod. Did some single track and don't even remember anything that tight .
It's the 2nd one. I want something more flush for the back.

The fronts are bad ass. Nice and tucked in but the backs have no chance against my turn signal killing skills.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #2093
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Nope, the screen is held in place by the screw-on outer ring. If that does not move the screens stay in place.

The wiring just keeps the outer ring from un-screwing itself.
That makes sense. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2094
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Flush-mount rear LED turn signals can be found from Highway Dirt Bikes.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 AM   #2095
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Came home with a new turn signal mod. Did some single track and don't even remember anything that tight .
It's the 2nd one. I want something more flush for the back.

The fronts are bad ass. Nice and tucked in but the backs have no chance against my turn signal killing skills.

Flush mounted LEDs in billet aluminum housing from HDB for sure, they are completely bullet proof. You will have to email Paul, they are not on the site yet.

The DRC ones have a bit better visibility but they break if you crash hard enough. If you go with those get them from Sicass so they come with the right plugs for your KTM.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #2096
teambft
teambft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Flush mounted LEDs in billet aluminum housing from HDB for sure, they are completely bullet proof. You will have to email Paul, they are not on the site yet.

The DRC ones have a bit better visibility but they break if you crash hard enough. If you go with those get them from Sicass so they come with the right plugs for your KTM.
The original owner installed PW Garfield XCW taillight w/flush mnt rear signals on mine. Seem like a nice set up; I'm happy with them. If you google PW Garfield, looks like he sells them on eBay. I removed the front section so I could bolt on my enduro bag and the fit and finish was real nice - holes aligned and matched up nicely when I put it back together.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #2097
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
The original owner installed PW Garfield XCW taillight w/flush mnt rear signals on mine. Seem like a nice set up; I'm happy with them. If you google PW Garfield, looks like he sells them on eBay. I removed the front section so I could bolt on my enduro bag and the fit and finish was real nice - holes aligned and matched up nicely when I put it back together.
I've got Paul's LED tail lights on 2 KTMs and the Berg. They are very nice, but I've managed to break one when flipping the bike. Same with the signals with plastic lenses, they hold up much better to crashes when they are flush mounted but they obviously can't take the same impact as a billet aluminum housing will.

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #2098
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I've got Paul's LED tail lights on 2 KTMs and the Berg. They are very nice, but I've managed to break one when flipping the bike. Same with the signals with plastic lenses, they hold up much better to crashes when they are flush mounted but they obviously can't take the same impact as a billet aluminum housing will.

How bright are these?

Do you have any pics at a distance of these in action?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #2099
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Rear LEDs

I put Sicass rear flush mount LEDs on my '07 525 and on my '12 300 XC-W. The latter went through a lot of races with no damage whatsoever. The 525 got dropped on a fair amount of rocks and again, nothing amiss. I even managed to kick the ones on the 525 when getting on the bike. Still nothing. I'm putting a set of these on my new '13 500 EXC. Inexpensive and durable that come pre-wired to just plug right into the KTM wire harness. What is not to like about them?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #2100
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Is there a thread/pics that details the thermostat issue ?

Was the problem on a 350 or 500, or wouldn't it make any difference ?
That was the first generation tank, which they fixed the issue on. There was also a flange mounting issue that was fixed in the new tanks as well. All tanks ordered should be the new generation. My first gen tank got buggered up at the electrical connection and leaked a little. I sent Clockworks a pic of it and they have a new tank on the way...the same day, no charge. All corespondence has been professional and courteous. BTW, I bypassed the thermostat and don't have an issue with clearance..

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote