Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #2161
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,157
Any big issues with not having this upper chain guard on the bike? I dont believe the XCW version has it. Mine, uh, got "removed" this past Saturday on a ride.
teambft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #2162
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Do you have any pics or video of how bright these are in the daylight and night time?

Sorry Steve no chance of a vid clip, I suck at computer. Pix are a stretch . I will add that they are a circular cluster of about 10 LEDs. In comparison to the stock bulb, the new turns are plenty bright.

Hand signals and brake tapping will give ya something to yell about after you get rear ended.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #2163
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
Any big issues with not having this upper chain guard on the bike? I dont believe the XCW version has it. Mine, uh, got "removed" this past Saturday on a ride.
Ask 4 finger Freddie .
Other than safety perhaps some control of chain slap? I ran my LC4 for 9 years without till an old dude showed me his custom finger .
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #2164
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,551
Chain Guard not Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Ask 4 finger Freddie .
Other than safety perhaps some control of chain slap? I ran my LC4 for 9 years without till an old dude showed me his custom finger .
Removing guard will not impact operation, only safty (IMHO) - however - not sure how safe it is when it finally fails at say 60 down a fast fireroad and desides to try and derail the chain.

Mine will go away soon but for now its fine.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2165
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 679
Got the little brother here, 350 EXCF. Putting on the XCW gearing but am trying to sort out the ECU. Lots have commented that their dealers were willing to throw the EU XCW map on their bikes. My dealer is fantastic, but on the ECU end, they're not too keen. I keep getting pushback about buying a new ECU. Not keen on that.

Is there anyone in Canada who has had their ECU flashed to the XCW map that would allow the map switch and liven things up?

Is it possible to send such a dealer just the ECU? Or does the bike have to be attached?

Lastly, was there any consensus on deleting the thermostat? Thought I heard the Six Days bikes don't have them but I'm not sure as we don't get them in Canada.

Thanks Team!

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #2166
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
SNIP.

Is it possible to send such a dealer just the ECU?

WHY YES, Yes it is
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #2167
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
ECU Removal

There is a sticky thread on the RC4, RF4, XC4 section on KTMTalk about removing and shipping the ECU with cautions (think static electricity killing it or breaking the release tab by using a screwdriver to try to get it loose). The info starts on about pg. 14 of that 38 pg. thread, Building the Perfect Wee Beastie (the 350 EXC).

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=440785

I'm going to eliminate my thermostat with the Samco silicon hose replacements. It should help the heat issues. The XCW in the US does not have a thermostat. My 300 XCW lacked one as well. The lack of one made no difference in my experience.

Stu
Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #2168
ABYSS
KTM

i hate to tell ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
SNIP... The XCW in the US does not have a thermostat.
Stu
BUZZZZZZZ incorrect answer the USA 2012 & 2013 XCW's all come with thermostats. 59435017000 , if you live where its is cool you shold be ok but herein texas if you take it out you will regret it.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #2169
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
thermostat

I was wondering the same thing about the thermostat.

Seems some folks are removing the thermostat for........ cooler running engine?

I thought the whole point of the thermostat was to regulate the engine temperature......opening, closing, restricting or allowing fluid to flow....depending upon the water temperature.

If the thermostat is removed, seems like the engine wouldn't really warm up properly.....

am I missing something here...?

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #2170
ABYSS
KTM

excatlly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I was wondering the same thing about the thermostat.

Seems some folks are removing the thermostat for........ cooler running engine?

I thought the whole point of the thermostat was to regulate the engine temperature......opening, closing, restricting or allowing fluid to flow....depending upon the water temperature.

If the thermostat is removed, seems like the engine wouldn't really warm up properly.....

am I missing something here...?

the lack of mechanical apptitube cracks me up . removing hte thermostat will make it slow to warm up and then once it is
hot it iwll stay that way. It amazes me how some folks think they are more intelligent that the whole moto MFG industries.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #2171
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
the lack of mechanical apptitube cracks me up . removing hte thermostat will make it slow to warm up and then once it is
hot it iwll stay that way. It amazes me how some folks think they are more intelligent that the whole moto MFG industries.
That's a bit of a simplified view, and it does not apply in all cases. Whether it will run cooler with or without a thermostat depends on the flow rates you get in each configuration. Have you done any testing to see if the 500 EXC will actually flow too much without a thermostat to properly soak up the heat? The RFS bikes definitely benefit from a larger water pump impeller for example, which has the same effect as removing a restriction (the thermostat). Although I do agree that I would prefer to have the thermostat for warming up the engine.

And FYI, the "whole moto industry" does also deliver several motorcycle without a thermostat from the factory, including the KTM SX-F, XC-F, SMR, etc.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #2172
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Thermostat

Abyss,

Well, Bzzz it is. Now the XCWs come with them. "removing hte thermostat will make it slow to warm up and then once it is hot it iwll stay that way." Only if there is no air flowing through the radiator. Like being stuck in a mud bog. It will come up to temperature more slowly but that is a minor issue if you are ripping around in the woods.

Let me get this straight. In Texas if it is hot and the thermostat is open you have hot fluid flowing through the engine. However, if in Texas you do not have a thermostat and you have hot fluid flowing through the engine you get in trouble. (?) Thermostats regulate the temperature at which coolant is allowed to flow through cooling fins. If they fail, and they do, the default position is open. However, if your thermostat failed in Texas you would be OK in hot weather since you still have a thermostat, even if inoperational. Correct?

Thermostats are used to help regulate temperatures. If the coolant is above its threshold temperature it just stays open. If the engine in question runs hot, such as some KTM engines, removing restrictions to the flow could help coolant circulate through the fins faster and possibly have lower overall temperatures. Samco says they have tested this so perhaps you should examine their data.

If you are doing a lot of dual sport riding the coolant should heat up less. In this case the thermostat would close, allowing the coolant to reach the design temperature threshold (around 92 degrees C. as I remember), open again, and then just repeat this cycle depending on the thermostat's setting.

Stu
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #2173
ejtv
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,203
Question Fuel line replacement question--diameter

I am getting ready to buy the replacement 6" high pressure fuel line. Is there a specific diameter?

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #2174
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Fuel Line

5/16". My auto parts store charged me $6.79 per foot. Make sure you get the fuel injection fuel line clamps as well. They are radiused on the edges so the clamp cannot cut into the hose leading to failure. About $0.83 each.

Stu
Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #2175
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Is a 500 a viable replacement?

Posted this in the 525 thread and thought I'd post it here for the 500 collectives opinion. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Gents - I've been riding and enjoying my 525 for many years now. Got about 560+ hours on the gal now and she's fully sorted and set-up perfectly for me and my riding style.

2005 525 EXC:

Motor

*20 hours on new 570 piston and cylinder and rebuilt DJH head with +1 KW valves
*100 hours on rebuilt and balanced crank w/Annular bearings
*all bearings and gaskets and final drive shaft replaced
* TT stator and lightened flywheel
*SX exhaust
*new Hinson Clutch hub coming ion the mail

Chassis

*Sprung and valved for me by KTM suspension shootout winner. SKF seals.
* 17 degree Topar triple clamps
*2010 complete forks available if I need them

Extras

Clarke tank
Fan kit
HT oil cooler
CRT
Hi flow water pump
TT kickstand
Scotts SS oil filter
Cycra handguards
KTM hardparts Skid plate
P3 header protection
Scotts sterring stabilizer
Baja Designs Squadron lED lighting

During its last outing.

This bike is used primarily for multi day/ multi week long off road rides throughout Thailand, Lao, and Cambodia. I also outfit it with a complete SM set-up, radial brakes etc for fun at the go kart tracks and thrashing the canyons.

My question is will this bike last a few more years or is it time to get the 500? Small things like electrics getting corroded are starting to appear and my concerns are am I vulnerable to components failing that I will not expect due to the hours on the bike. Ie Gearset failures, oil pump gears, blah blah. You know things you don't think about wearing out but may fail over time. Is this a rational concern? Has anybody had failures such as these?

I live and ride where I need to trust my bike absolutely. The 500 is an unknown but realistically the only thing I fear on the engine is the FI.

The suspension and brakes on the 500 will be better but not sure about the motor compared to my 570. The 500 will flick side to side easier through tree's but since I'm usually carrying 25 pounds of gear strapped to the bike will it be enough benefit for me to notice it once loaded up?

Curious on your thoughts.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote