Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #2191
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
"I am temped to ride Eastern Enduros with this thing... "

Vico1, I am decidedly not tempted to ride any tight, muddy races with my 500. I'd take my '12 300 XC-W any day. It is far more enjoyable in tight woods, far quicker for faster lap times, light enough that I can pick it up and walk with it, a feathery feeling suspension that makes me think I am 17 again (not...I'm 55 years past that age), has a simple motor with a great center of gravity unlike any 4T and is stone reliable. For this kind of riding the 300 is the giggles.

Stu
Well who wouldn't! And I totally agree with the 300 for single track...Im only 48 years past 17 but I still like to get a little jiggy in the single track... butr mostly I do faster jeep trails and forrest roads... 4th 5th an even 6th at times...

More dangerous but less physical than eastern ST...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #2192
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Well who wouldn't! And I totally agree with the 300 for single track...Im only 48 years past 17 but I still like to get a little jiggy in the single track... butr mostly I do faster jeep trails and forrest roads... 4th 5th an even 6th at times...

More dangerous but less physical than eastern ST...
Heck, I had it out on the MX track this past weekend. Granted, I was wore out afterwards.....enjoyed my son's CRF250 more. But the 500 is just so damn good. I've single tracked it, dual sported it, MX'd it, ridden in plenty of mud, on rocks, some sand. I've owned a ton of bikes, including a 525 and a 530, Husky 610, and others. This is BY FAR the best bike I've owned.

teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #2193
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
My riding partner, Tha Rick, is a crafty bastard and while filming him he saw the opportunity to spray me with mud. You can see him look back to make sure I am there then give it the nuts. He places two perfectly sized mud balls right onto my goggles on each eye.

Be very very careful if you ever ride behind this man

Enjoy. Two 2012 KTM 500 XC-W in action.

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2194
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Top Bike Honors

''Heck, I had it out on the MX track this past weekend. Granted, I was wore out afterwards.....enjoyed my son's CRF250 more. But the 500 is just so damn good. I've single tracked it, dual sported it, MX'd it, ridden in plenty of mud, on rocks, some sand. I've owned a ton of bikes, including a 525 and a 530, Husky 610, and others. This is BY FAR the best bike I've owned."

1+ Except for tight single track in which I would place the 300 XC-W at the top of my list. It is at the bottom of my list for DS riding. So the 500 wins the overall contest.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #2195
bill1960
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
My riding partner, Tha Rick, is a crafty bastard and while filming him he saw the opportunity to spray me with mud. You can see him look back to make sure I am there then give it the nuts. He places two perfectly sized mud balls right onto my goggles on each eye.

Be very very careful if you ever ride behind this man

Enjoy. Two 2012 KTM 500 XC-W in action.

Toddler
At the end of the vid I see you have the HDB handguard/top clamp setup with powerlet on your 500 XC-W

Did you make it street legal with horn etc ?

What additional switching, if any, did you add ?

I've seen Geeks detailed how to but also interested to see other HDB setups for the XC-W
bill1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #2196
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
toddler...........great video and a great looking riding trail.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #2197
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Valve adjustment video

I got a rough cut of a valve adjustment video done. Now I just need to massage the video and get it posted up......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #2198
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I got a rough cut of a valve adjustment video done. Now I just need to massage the video and get it posted up......
Great,good work.

oldx screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 08:34 PM Reason: typical screw up
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #2199
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1960 View Post
Toddler
At the end of the vid I see you have the HDB handguard/top clamp setup with powerlet on your 500 XC-W

Did you make it street legal with horn etc ?

What additional switching, if any, did you add ?

I've seen Geeks detailed how to but also interested to see other HDB setups for the XC-W
This thread should help you in what I've done.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740375
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #2200
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldx View Post
Great,good work.
+1
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #2201
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Mudguts, Vico1, Abyss, and Stu thanks heaps for the res pones to my question, very much appreciate your insight. It's through forums like this that we perspective buyers get insight into new products and models.

Mudguts - Yea I was not impressed with the 690R for me as a rider. Sadly there are no 500's in the country for me to have a test spin on. No dealers and no bikes in country. Damn. As riding really is the only sure fire way to tell.

Can you boys give me a sense of the 500 motor and how it compared to the 525? Stu I know you had a 565 and I'm on a 570 so real curious is you could compare and contrast the 500 motor to your built 525 aside from the flameout issue, pro's and cons. Also does the 500 steer as light as the 300 you had? I know its heavier through the turns but does it react to steering inputs as quickly as the 300 or just better than the 525? Trying to get a better feel on how much lighter feeling the 500 is over the 525. I really enjoy riding my 2011 250 XCF due to how flick-able it is compared to the 525. However if the 500 is only 10-15% easier to flick about than maybe I'll keep the 525 and explore turning my 250 into a multi day explorer. However if it is dramatically different then it warrants my consideration.

Stu you are correct since i have rebuilt the complete top and bottom ends on my 570 i could most likely get another couple years of great times exploring about. It's sad how these new bikes tempt us to that shiny apple.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #2202
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Subjective Evaluations....

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Mudguts, Vico1, Abyss, and Stu thanks heaps for the res pones to my question, very much appreciate your insight. It's through forums like this that we perspective buyers get insight into new products and models.

Mudguts - Yea I was not impressed with the 690R for me as a rider. Sadly there are no 500's in the country for me to have a test spin on. No dealers and no bikes in country. Damn. As riding really is the only sure fire way to tell.

Can you boys give me a sense of the 500 motor and how it compared to the 525? Stu I know you had a 565 and I'm on a 570 so real curious is you could compare and contrast the 500 motor to your built 525 aside from the flameout issue, pro's and cons. Also does the 500 steer as light as the 300 you had? I know its heavier through the turns but does it react to steering inputs as quickly as the 300 or just better than the 525? Trying to get a better feel on how much lighter feeling the 500 is over the 525. I really enjoy riding my 2011 250 XCF due to how flick-able it is compared to the 525. However if the 500 is only 10-15% easier to flick about than maybe I'll keep the 525 and explore turning my 250 into a multi day explorer. However if it is dramatically different then it warrants my consideration.

Stu you are correct since i have rebuilt the complete top and bottom ends on my 570 i could most likely get another couple years of great times exploring about. It's sad how these new bikes tempt us to that shiny apple.
I did not have an opportunity to try the new 500 out. I knew that the difference between my '09 300 XC-W and my '12 300 XC-W were simply light years apart in handling and feel. My friend's '11 300 XC felt so much lighter (same weight), turned so much better and tracked so much more accurately that I bought the '12 XC-W without riding it. Fabulous bike! I assumed the new '13 500 would probably be similarly better than my '07 565 and, wow, it does not disappoint at all! It is a little lighter than the 565 but it feels like it is in between the 300 and the 565 for weight (until I dump it and have to pick it up). I have not tried it on anything like your tight, muddy jungle trails so I cannot comment on that.

Once I get the motor sorted out ("jetting" basically) I think this thing would pull right along with the 565 partly because it gets better traction than the 565. It hooks and flies. I put in a 1.4 lb. Shorai battery (about 3.5 lbs saving of weight up high) and the Akrapovic muffler (another 2 lbs up high) and put on the Sicass sub fender / rear flush turn signals and front hand guard turn signals for another 3 lbs. of high up weight. That helped as well. With the Euro map and the Sicass map switch set to "Mild" this is the best street motorcycle I have ever had. Very smooth everywhere with zero glitches. With the map on "Wild" you can be a street badass.

If you try to turn your 250 into a multi day ride you will hate yourself. I don't think it even has a counter balancer. I would take the 300 over the 250 for that sort of ride any time. Lighter and better power.

I just now ordered the JD Jetting 6X Tuner. I should have it on and test it next week. I will let you know how that goes.

Stu
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #2203
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Wait!! There's More!!!

FTB,

I would add that living with the new 500 is much, much easier than with the 565. Oil changes are much easier with the relocated drain and filter locations. There is now only one cartridge filter. It now holds 1.5 liters of oil so you really do not need a cooler. Valve checks are probably a 20 minute job from the look of it, once you get the smog crap out of the way.

My bike came without the two bolts for the SAS system. The drain plug and washer work for the exhaust side. Just Dremel off the magnet. The other one I found in my junk box. When you pull the spigot out of the intake just make certain that the bolt you put in is no longer than the spigot's threaded length since you don't want to push aluminum from the hole into the intake tract, if there is any there. A copper washer left over from one of your 570's valve cover bolts completes this. I also put teflon tape on the threads of this screw since I do not want leaks on the intake side.

If you have a cushioned hub just keep it and slide it on the 500. Used ones seem to go within minutes of being posted.

How will KTM top this? They probably will. Can't wait to see what they do.

Stu
Old 08-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #2204
tentative_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Acerbis 5.3 2013 compatibility

Any one out there know if the 5.3 gal Acerbis tank for the 2012 500 will fit the 2013? I bought one and am going to put it on mine during the "desmogging" procedure this week. I remember a ways back in this thread one of the contributors seemed to have a contact at Acerbis. Hope it fits. I was unable to find any references to Acerbis tanks for the 2013's.

Thanks
tentative_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #2205
EVELKNIEVEL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldx
Great,good work.

+1

in my best elvis voice ........thanku thankuvermuch

thx steveo
EVELKNIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote