ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2281
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 5,439
Can't find an EXC or XCW 500 for a decent price (anything less than full retail), the local dealer has made me a "good deal" for a 2013 XCW 450.

There are plenty of XCW 500's in Western Washington, I guess the dealerships want to make all of their money on this one bike.

Some guys have been sitting on them for more than a month now.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #2282
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Four 530s and two 5 hunnys were ripping out some miles at our favorite piney woods when we lost one then another of the 530s while they switched to reserve... I forgot these guys have much shorter legs with the same gals of fuel.

One more awesome thing about this scoot. Im running a JD tuner with some rich settings and still getting awesome milage. And the bike of course will take me way faster than I really want to go at ANY TIME ANY WHERE.

I had a really good day....
A 530 can get 50 mpg if set up right,what is your 500 getting for mileage?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #2283
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Can't find an EXC or XCW 500 for a decent price (anything less than full retail), the local dealer has made me a "good deal" for a 2013 XCW 450.

There are plenty of XCW 500's in Western Washington, I guess the dealerships want to make all of their money on this one bike.

Some guys have been sitting on them for more than a month now.
Agreed , but there are some deals out there on the 350EXC. I rode one and I was very impressed. it didn't put the shit-eating grin on my face like the 500EXC, but I felt like I could ride it hard for a long time without getting tired, which I could not say abut the 500.
__________________
Machete don't text!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #2284
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,666
Gas Milage !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
A 530 can get 50 mpg if set up right,what is your 500 getting for mileage?
My 530 was getting about 45mpg at best. My 5 hunny is getting 58 to 63 depending on ride...(63 being best so far measured at pump by filling back up to full)...

I have longer legs than anyone I ride with so I just wait for them to yell NO MAS
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #2285
SteveO
Huh???
 
SteveO's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Oddometer: 1,164
Geared to 14/48, and fully loaded with camping gear, i was pulling in 50 mpg. I felt good about that considering the weight this bike was lugging around...
__________________
.................................................. ....................................
NMOHVA.ORG - Help to keep your trails open!

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #2286
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,666
Gearing

To me gearing has always been a matter of rider style and terrain. I use to think 14/48 was the bomb for around here (sand, piney woods, medium to high speed) but I dropped to 13/48 and was impressed Im thinking 13/50... I know the xcw come geared close to that, but the bike seems much happier with the 13 up front.

Went riding in the Florida Mountains this weekend. No need to rejet with the EFI.


Bike ran fine even this high up...
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #2287
Enduro Outlaw
Adventurer
 
Enduro Outlaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Buy an extra headlight bulb, the stock one seems to rattle apart soon. I got the Sicass 35wt halogen and it has held up well.

Before you leave, at least run the bike one hour and change the oil and filter and check the valves.

Get 7 of the largest spoke wheel weights, put three opposite the rim lock on the front, put 4 on the back.

Carry stuff to change a flat. The KTM multi tool has a tire lever on it, so you only need one tire iron, small double acting mountain bike pump, a stick to put under swing arm, 21" tube, patches, glue, bottle of alcohol for cleaning tube (I like to carry lensl cleaner for safety glasses, 98% alcohol), cloth to lay the wheel on,

Add to the tool kit: smallest needle nose vice grips, small bottle of loctite 243 (blue), wire, elec tape, zip ties, spare master link, spare fuel filters in crush proof tube, fuel connector wash kit (should come with bike), small
bottle of gear oil for chain lube, grunge brush to clean chain, tooth brush to clean bike parts before working on
it, 0.004, 5, 6, 7, 8" feeler gauges for valve checks, nytrile gloves, euro bike bolt kit,

Very optional tools: 17, 19 mm sockets for front sprocket and swingarm, 4, 5, 6, 8 mm allen, 6, 8, 10 mm wrenches to get more power than the stock kit.
When my bulb failed, it caused a short and blew fuse. I said screw it and bought a squadron led kit from baja designs. I dont like the look of the trail tech mask. The baja designs led kit looks better to me. I have not
installed it yet. It's in the mail.

Enduro Outlaw screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 12:24 PM
Enduro Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #2288
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
To me gearing has always been a matter of rider style and terrain. I use to think 14/48 was the bomb for around here (sand, piney woods, medium to high speed) but I dropped to 13/48 and was impressed Im thinking 13/50... I know the xcw come geared close to that, but the bike seems much happier with the 13 up front.

Went riding in the Florida Mountains this weekend. No need to rejet with the EFI.


Bike ran fine even this high up...
I am getting ready to buy a 500EXC and have been doing a lot of research. Seems like a good number of people say 14/50 is ideal. The good/bad part is that it requires a longer chain, but supposedly the suspension works better witht he wheel further back, extending the wheelbase.
__________________
Machete don't text!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #2289
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 5,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Agreed , but there are some deals out there on the 350EXC. I rode one and I was very impressed. it didn't put the shit-eating grin on my face like the 500EXC, but I felt like I could ride it hard for a long time without getting tired, which I could not say abut the 500.
A friend had an EXC 350, he traded it in for the EXC 500.
The 350 is a great bike, but it's no 500.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #2290
Lolodesiles
Adventurer
 
Lolodesiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 29
Personally i use 13/50

Because with 14 front sprocket i can' t use the 6th gear only around 100km/h which was my "top" cruising speed on open roads...

But in the small alleys of countryside or forest it makes it a huge beast

That's what is good no

I precise i ride only for fun
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #2291
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 893
More on Gearing

I run 15/52 to cut down on chain wear. Break over force increases by 1/7th with every tooth dropped. 15 to 14 isn't so bad but 14 to 13 starts to really work the chain.

I found that this gearing works well even in the very tight woods riding. An uphill sharp turn on loose rock might take a bit of clutch work but it is all doable. I use 5th and 6th mostly for grass track or for roads. The 500 definitely pulls 6th easily with this gearing. What a beast.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #2292
ABYSS
KTM
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 1,198
Front sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolodesiles View Post
Personally i use 13/50

Because with 14 front sprocket i can' t use the 6th gear only around 100km/h which was my "top" cruising speed on open roads...

But in the small alleys of countryside or forest it makes it a huge beast

That's what is good no

I precise i ride only for fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I run 15/52 to cut down on chain wear. Break over force increases by 1/7th with every tooth dropped. 15 to 14 isn't so bad but 14 to 13 starts to really work the chain.

I found that this gearing works well even in the very tight woods riding. An uphill sharp turn on loose rock might take a bit of clutch work but it is all doable. I use 5th and 6th mostly for grass track or for roads. The 500 definitely pulls 6th easily with this gearing. What a beast.

Stu
While it is true the XCW's come with 13/50 stock and I agree it is the optimal setup for that bike for all around usage.

I got away from the 13 front because of the swing arm wear. The 13 tooth front wears the chain slider out exceptionally fast. I went to a 14/54 and have retained virtually the same gear ratios but the swing arm expediant wear hazzard is eliminated. The 15 would be evene beter but you would have to have a massive 58 tooth rear to keep close to the same ratio and that is too big for me to have on the back.
__________________
Every question in life has an answer of YES OR NO
Maybe = NO
Keep life simple and enjoy it!
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #2293
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The Delta Ghetto, GA (aka PTC)
Oddometer: 1,468
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 350 or 500EXC. While doing my mountains of homework before dropping this much coin, I ran across these guys and was particularly curious if anyone had tried the magic mod for the throttle body and the shock travel reduction. http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...2-ktm-350-exc/
__________________
Machete don't text!

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #2294
Lolodesiles
Adventurer
 
Lolodesiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
While it is true the XCW's come with 13/50 stock and I agree it is the optimal setup for that bike for all around usage.

I got away from the 13 front because of the swing arm wear. The 13 tooth front wears the chain slider out exceptionally fast.
you mean the upper slider on the swing arm? because the chain is "lower" due to smaller sprocket
Lolodesiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #2295
Stu
Buffo Maximus
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Eastern YahooLand
Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 350 or 500EXC. While doing my mountains of homework before dropping this much coin, I ran across these guys and was particularly curious if anyone had tried the magic mod for the throttle body and the shock travel reduction. http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...2-ktm-350-exc/
I went with the JD Tuner. It adds fuel in the ranges that you need (start jet, pilot jet, transition to needle, needle taper, needle clip position, accelerator pump (covers from off idle to end of taper) and main jet circuits from your old carburetor days.) The only issue I have is a tendency to flame out just off idle when pulling hard, say, out of a turn or on a hill. I do not know how to correct this but I am still playing with the tuner.

I lowered both the front and rear of my 500 1". I lost nothing in handling or on jumps over the stock suspension and gained stability (no head shake so far). I'm still experimenting with these settings (preload, shock sag, etc.). I'm a woods rider with a 29" inseam, not an MX double jump guy so if you are a motocrosser I don't think this would be for you.

The bike is surprisingly agile and throttle response is, well, the way I like it -- violent.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014